What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Apple ID changed after IOS 6 Upgrade - Can I Change Apple ID Back?

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my wife's iPad 2 to iOS 6. When it asked for the password prior to the upgrade, I used the one we always use, which is associated with my wife's Apple ID.

The next time I tried to download an app, it wouldn't take her password. It was then I noticed that the Apple ID had changed to one of *my* email addresses, the one I use for iTunes on my PC. I tried the password for my iTunes account and it worked.

I have no idea how the iPad knew my email address nor do I understand why it changed the Apple ID to that address.

Can I change it back her Apple ID through the settings so we can get back using her password like before?

Thanks!

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
DerbyDad03 said:
I upgraded my wife's iPad 2 to iOS 6. When it asked for the password prior to the upgrade, I used the one we always use, which is associated with my wife's Apple ID.

The next time I tried to download an app, it wouldn't take her password. It was then I noticed that the Apple ID had changed to one of *my* email addresses, the one I use for iTunes on my PC. I tried the password for my iTunes account and it worked.

I have no idea how the iPad knew my email address nor do I understand why it changed the Apple ID to that address.

Can I change it back her Apple ID through the settings so we can get back using her password like before?

Thanks!

The only way to set it up with her Apple ID and password is to erase all content and settings. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings.

image-3143476077.jpg

image-1573038453.jpgthen you can set it up with her Apple ID and password. Does your wife have her own iTunes account on the computer? If so, you can use it to restore her content to the iPad. You should do it via the USB cable.

OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt response.

None of the content on the iPad has changed. Only the AppleID.

Are you saying that I have to delete all of the music, pictures, apps, etc. just to get it back to her AppleID?

If that's the case, that's ridiculous - why would an iOS upgrade change the AppleID and force the user to lose all of their data to change the AppleID back?

I'd rather just change the password to what we were using before and leave AppleID as it is.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
DerbyDad03 said:
Thanks for your prompt response.

None of the content on the iPad has changed. Only the AppleID.

Are you saying that I have to delete all of the music, pictures, apps, etc. just to get it back to her AppleID?

If that's the case, that's ridiculous - why would an iOS upgrade change the AppleID and force the user to lose all of their data to change the AppleID back?

I'd rather just change the password to what we were using before and leave AppleID as it is.

I did some more checking and found this.
http://www.apple.com/support/appleid/
If you follow the directions, you should be able to change the Apple ID and password.

OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something. Allow me to back up and explain what I see from my end.

The iPad is my wife's. When she first got it, she chose an AppleID and password.

I have a PC with iTunes registered under my email address and password.

The only connection between the 2 is that I occasionally connect the iPad to my PC to transfer music to the iPad.

Up until and including the day I upgraded to iOS 6, we always had to use her password to install apps on the iPad, which makes sense.

Now, after the upgrade the iPad is showing my email address as the AppleID and I have to enter my password in order to install any apps.

If I follow the instructions at the site you offered, won't I be eliminating my email address as my iTunes ID? We had 2 AppleID's for 2 different devices and now it looks like we're down to one.

I don't see why - or even how - the iOS upgrade changed the AppleID. How did it even know my email address and password? Did it pick it up from the occasional connection to iTunes? If so, why didn't it change it the first time I connected to my PC?

If I sound frustrated, it's because this doesn't make much sense to me.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
DerbyDad03 said:
Maybe I'm missing something. Allow me to back up and explain what I see from my end.

The iPad is my wife's. When she first got it, she chose an AppleID and password.

I have a PC with iTunes registered under my email address and password.

The only connection between the 2 is that I occasionally connect the iPad to my PC to transfer music to the iPad.

Up until and including the day I upgraded to iOS 6, we always had to use her password to install apps on the iPad, which makes sense.

Now, after the upgrade the iPad is showing my email address as the AppleID and I have to enter my password in order to install any apps.

If I follow the instructions at the site you offered, won't I be eliminating my email address as my iTunes ID? We had 2 AppleID's for 2 different devices and now it looks like we're down to one.

I don't see why - or even how - the iOS upgrade changed the AppleID. How did it even know my email address and password? Did it pick it up from the occasional connection to iTunes? If so, why didn't it change it the first time I connected to my PC?

If I sound frustrated, it's because this doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm not sure, but could it be the sync process between iTunes and the iPad? Have you upgraded with iTunes or directly from OTA on the iPad?

OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The upgrade was done OTA. When I went into the App Store this weekend i got a message that the upgrade to iOS6 was ready to install. When I said OK, it asked me to enter the password. I entered the password for my wife's AppleID.

The iPad has not been connected to the PC for over a month and I've downloaded apps using my wife's AppleID password since then.

It was only after the upgrade, when I tried to download Jasmine to replace YouTube, that it wouldn't accept the password. After it failed 3 times, the iPad popped up a message asking if i wanted the password reset sent to *my* email address, the one I use for iTunes. Once I saw that, I decided to try the password for that email address and it worked.

When I checked the AppleID under settings, it was set to the iTunes email address, not my wife's AppleID.

I don't get it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
DerbyDad03 said:
The upgrade was done OTA. When I went into the App Store this weekend i got a message that the upgrade to iOS6 was ready to install. When I said OK, it asked me to enter the password. I entered the password for my wife's AppleID.

The iPad has not been connected to the PC for over a month and I've downloaded apps using my wife's AppleID password since then.

It was only after the upgrade, when I tried to download Jasmine to replace YouTube, that it wouldn't accept the password. After it failed 3 times, the iPad popped up a message asking if i wanted the password reset sent to *my* email address, the one I use for iTunes. Once I saw that, I decided to try the password for that email address and it worked.

When I checked the AppleID under settings, it was set to the iTunes email address, not my wife's AppleID.

I don't get it.

That's a real puzzler. It's real mystery to me how the ID could have been changed under the circumstances you just described.

OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to go to a Verizon store for an issue with my Droid. I got to talking to the CSR about the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 so I mentioned my AppleID issue to him.

He said to check the iCloud ID and the iTunes/App store ID to see what they are set for. He said that it's possible that the device backed itself up with my iTunes account and then used that ID when it restored everything after the upgrade.

I checked and the iCloud ID was still set to my wife's ID but the iTunes/App store was set to my iTunes ID. The CSR suggested that I sign out of my ID and sign back in with my wife's.

I did that and then went to the App store to download an app to see whose password it would ask for. Well, it didn't ask for *any* password! It just downloaded and installed the app.

Now it's not asking for a password to install or delete apps.

Is there a setting for that?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was this a previously purchase? iOS6 no longer requires a password for these.

Haven't checked yet, but I believe free apps do not require a password either.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
DerbyDad03 said:
I had to go to a Verizon store for an issue with my Droid. I got to talking to the CSR about the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 so I mentioned my AppleID issue to him.

He said to check the iCloud ID and the iTunes/App store ID to see what they are set for. He said that it's possible that the device backed itself up with my iTunes account and then used that ID when it restored everything after the upgrade.

I checked and the iCloud ID was still set to my wife's ID but the iTunes/App store was set to my iTunes ID. The CSR suggested that I sign out of my ID and sign back in with my wife's.

I did that and then went to the App store to download an app to see whose password it would ask for. Well, it didn't ask for *any* password! It just downloaded and installed the app.

Now it's not asking for a password to install or delete apps.

Is there a setting for that?

It's an iOS 6 feature. You don't have to used your password to download previously purchased or free apps.

OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
It's an iOS 6 feature. You don't have to used your password to download previously purchased or free apps.

If that's true, then why did it ask for my password when I first downloaded Jasmine? If it hadn't asked for my password, I would never have known that the AppleID had changed.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just downloaded Jasmine myself. This was my first download under iOS 6, and it does still require a password for new installations. Only updates are password free. I'm going digging in the Settings to see if this is switchable.

Doesn't appear to be switchable, so I am guessing that free apps still require a password under all circumstances. That's a relief, considering there's an iPod using my AppleID that's under the control of a gaming freak.

Back to your original question. When I updated iOS I had to input my AppleID and password as part of the setup process. Did you see this when you updated. I did mine through iTunes, not OTA, so there may be a difference.

Last edited:
OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I just downloaded Jasmine myself. This was my first download under iOS 6, and it does still require a password for new installations. Only updates are password free. I'm going digging in the Settings to see if this is switchable.

Doesn't appear to be switchable, so I am guessing that free apps still require a password under all circumstances.

This is really weird. After I changed the AppleID in iTunes, I downloaded two random free apps via the App Store: i.TV and Talking Fred.

Neither of them required a password, which prompted my post asking about the lack of a password requirement. However, I just went back to the App Store and now it's asking for a password for anything I try to download.

Would you being willing to try those apps?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...I am going to move this to the Help Section for more attention.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts