What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad app sales off to a slow start?

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
steve-jobs-santa.jpg

The iPad is not an iPhone. People have to make a specific case to buy the iPad, where as 99.9% of us need an iPhone. For that reason the sales and uptake of the device won't be nearly as fast.. and it will take a bit of time to develop those "killer apps" that really drive sales of the device.

Some people out there though seem to be a bit impatient and expect the App sales numbers to be on par with the iPhone. It's a stretch, that device has been out for years and has a huge consumer base. The iPad however has only been available for a few days.

This article by the SFGate talks a bit about some disappoint app sales numbers on release and goes into some detail about it:

The Reason No One Is Bragging About iPad App Sales: The Numbers Are Too Small (AAPL)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's Apple's fault that their being so secretive created more of a curiosity frenzy than an intent to buy. I know numerous people who've been to their stores and came out empty handed.

But I feel that somehow they'll sell a lot of 3Gs and that a great many other people will wait for next gen. We've all known at some point what it is to be an early adopter.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plenty of articles dismissing the 300,000 first day sales....but that actually exceeded iPhone's first day sales. I guess because publications like the WSJ were throwing numbers like 600,000 first day they became underwhelmed? Had the third party projections been more like 125,000 it would have been a "great success! HIGH FIVE!".

I really don't understand why so many publications want so desperately to make the iPad seem like a big failure. Well I guess in 3 years when the iPad is a common household object like the iPhone attitudes will start to change.

Ellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Persbonally, I am happy with my I phone apps. I have bought a few iPad apps. I bought twitterific and I find that my twtterific for I phone is better for me. I can't enlarge fonts on iPad version.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend 90%+ of my iPad time surfing the web... While I do use some apps, i always want to use them during the time that I am waiting for a webpage to load... If this thing had multitasking, I would use my apps more...

For example--- I really like the ebay app, but it doest auto store my last action... So if I am surfing web, then decide I want to check ebay... If I go the ebay app, then resume surfing, then head back to the ebay app, I have to start over with whatever I was looking for/at on the ebay app...

Dragonrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This will be the ideal business laptop killer.

A iPad presentation will garner attention, because it's on an iPad.
Movies for travel
GPS for whatever
Books to read at the airport
Bragging rights
Memos & short data analysis

and so on.

The question is: how easy will it be to interface with brand M apps on my iMac - you know - PowerPoint and Excel. I already have a PDF reader....

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plenty of articles dismissing the 300,000 first day sales....but that actually exceeded iPhone's first day sales. I guess because publications like the WSJ were throwing numbers like 600,000 first day they became underwhelmed? Had the third party projections been more like 125,000 it would have been a "great success! HIGH FIVE!".

I really don't understand why so many publications want so desperately to make the iPad seem like a big failure. Well I guess in 3 years when the iPad is a common household object like the iPhone attitudes will start to change.

I've said it before, this is nothing new. I remember when I bought my first iMac in 1998. All the critics were posting negative reviews and claiming it was the death of Apple. However, iMacs filled a gap for more affordable macs and did the opposite - it saved Apple. I wish I knew why some people feel the need to hate Apple or try to knock them down a peg. It seems people are interested in the device and it's selling. Stock prices are higher than they've ever been. I think the iPad is obviously a success. Just ignore the haters.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that no one knows how many 3G's are in preorder or how many they will sell when they ate launched (fingers crossed, very soon I hope). Truth is we have only had half an ipad launch so far.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A recent estimate based on the number of internet hits to a site by people connecting new iPads, indicates that they have sold close to 750,000 so far. The numbers they had for Saturday sales using this method was 270,000. It will be interesting to see what happens when Apple releases their numbers. If the numbers are accurate, then within a week, we will see the million sale mark. It does not sound too far fetched in that that is only 100,000 units a day.

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
I think a lot of people are holding off on purchasing the first generation iPad and are waiting to see just how trendy it will be, and also waiting for certain updates and applications to become available before investing.

Despite sales being lower than expected though, the number of sales continues to rise and is still quite impressive.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get the iPad I'll be buying iPad software not the lower res iPhone software.
It could be possible that a lot of us will be waiting for the software to update iPad's way.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get the iPad I'll be buying iPad software not the lower res iPhone software.
It could be possible that a lot of us will be waiting for the software to update iPad's way.

I have mostly iPad apps, but remember some apps will become universal, so if you have a beloved iPhone app put it on there and wait. Air video universal came out today...it's so awesome.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

yayforipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad is just getting warmed up. The economy isn't in that great of a place right now and people don't have alot of disposable income to just dump on a 500 to 700 toy. Demand will start to pickup and I bet with the 3G release sales numbers will be much better. Who needs a glorified itouch when you can get a mega iphone.

Most reactions

Latest posts