What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad app icon swirl?

Jason Stevenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently noticed on two other individuals iPads that when sliding from page to page on home screen that their apps become animated and fly around all crazy like before the next pages icons fly in and settle into place. How is this option added. I know for a fact that neither one of these people (my mother and mother in law) have jail broken their iPads.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to get that swirl is to be jail broken (and install a tweak called "Barrel" from Cydia).

Sorry, but that really is the only way ... you sure they aren't jail broken?

Marilyn

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is another one called "motion", it is really neat but it is a cydia tweak. Like Marilyn said jailbreaking is the only way to do this.

OP
J

Jason Stevenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was wrong I found out that my mother in laws iPad had been passed through a few owners and was jail broken. I thought she bought it new. Apparently my mom got jipped because she bought her 3rd gen iPad new and it does this also. So she must have gotten a returned item maybe.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't even jailbreak a 3rd generation iPad yet; so something is not kosher.

And getting iPads with apps from previous owners is something that will bite you eventually. Apps can only be updated with the same Apple ID that purchased them. So, unless some one nicely jailbroke your Mother in Laws iPad for her, it's a problem waiting to happen.

As for your Mother, well, she doesn't have an iPad 3rd gen, or something stranger than strange is happening. She might have an iPad 2, which are still being sold.

OP
J

Jason Stevenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated the inlaws and got rid of the jailbreak for her. I'm thinking my mom was sold the wrong hardware.

OP
J

Jason Stevenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I swear she had the retina display, but maybe I was just fooling myself I only spent a few minutes on it. Either way it convinced me that I can wait for the 4th gen is released before I hand down my iPad 2. I will have all of this sorted out tomorrow and will let you know what the heck is going on with her iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Heh. I spend a few minutes in a store staring at an iPad 2 display because I thought it was a new iPad. My conclusion was that it was a pretty good display. When you see a retina display for real (especially the text) there will be no doubt. Whether that's enough to upgrade? Depends. I had a lot of reasons, and the display was only icing on the cake; though very nice icing indeed.

Most reactions

Latest posts