What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and USB flash memory card

apophesis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all - I have question regarding the use of USB flash memory cards and an iPad. I've seen various videos online that show you can use a USB flash memory card to open and import pictures onto the iPad (without jailbreaking...).

My question is, have any of you been able to save files onto the USB flash memory card FROM the iPad? I'm not concerned about jailbreaking if that's what needs to be done to do so.

Thanks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gWGotBHMgY"]YouTube - Preparing a USB Flash Drive to work with an iPad[/ame]

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just create a DCIM folder in the root of the usb drive and copy your images/videos into that folder. This tricks the iPad into thinking it is connected to a camera.

Also note that a usb drive will not work if it draws too much power from the iPad. This probably isn't a problem for thumb drives, but other devices like a wd passport don't work.

Jamboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lilman,

Thank you. This was the simplest solution for importing pictures using flash thumb drive. Great work. You should have this solution marked by the moderators. It probably won't help anyone that wants to view any file type but it is way better for pictures if you don't want to connect to a PC or your camera. If you want pix from someone now all I need is the connector and my flash thumb drive.

Thanks

Jamboy

Deborahcrain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just create a DCIM folder in the root of the usb drive and copy your images/videos into that folder. This tricks the iPad into thinking it is connected to a camera.

Also note that a usb drive will not work if it draws too much power from the iPad. This probably isn't a problem for thumb drives, but other devices like a wd passport don't work.

How do I create a scum folder.does it have to be done on a laptop.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
BitmenStudios said:
Good find? Where can you get a camera connector kit?

any place that is selling the ipad and accessories should also stock them, it is an official apple product

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lilman said:

Tried the DCIM folder on a flash drive and an SD card. I took out the memory card from my camera and it picks up all pics taken from that camera,if I transfer pics to that SD card they will not show ??? Can you help

Reaction score
Sjwred said:
Tried the DCIM folder on a flash drive and an SD card. I took out the memory card from my camera and it picks up all pics taken from that camera,if I transfer pics to that SD card they will not show ??? Can you help

The images also have to be formatted properly.

The photo app will only show images named IMG_0856.jpg, where 0856 can be any digit you want.

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The images also have to be formatted properly.

The photo app will only show images named IMG_0856.jpg, where 0856 can be any digit you want.

Ok,thanks will look into that.cheers".....nice one that worked

Last edited:

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

My old Sony camera names it's photo files with DSC-------. does that mean the iPad wouldn't see those files?

Most reactions

Latest posts