What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad and sharing - 2x users/x1 iPad - some basic questions from a newbie...

jhiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Folks - first-timer here...
I am almost sold on the (wi-fi only) iPad4 (I want one - just not sure whether I need one).
I just got back from holiday and didn't have a wi-fi device I could take with me, however, almost everywhere had wi-fi and almost every other tourist had an iPad/Notebook/Laptop. I'd have loved to have had something to keep in touch with my family rather than rely on the malware-infested hotel PCs.
So, when travelling, I'd use it for surfing the web, booking hotels, checking my Hotmail account, uploading the odd picture to Facebook, etc. - all run-of-the-mill stuff.

However, I have a couple of questions borne out of ignorance really - I've never owned an iPad or a 'smart' phone and don't have phone contract, just PAYG. Please bear with me - these might be silly questions but I'd appreciate some help and advice.

I realise the iPad is very much a personal device but, if I buy one, it will be shared between my wife and I, and I don't want to have to jump through hoops to make it do what I want it to do.

We both have separate Hotmail accounts. I understand I can add several email accounts to the iPad but then how do you access the separate accounts. Are there two Mail 'shortcuts' on the main screen? Do you hit the 'Mail' app and then choose which one to access?
Is it straightforward to send attachments with emails (photos, etc.)

Similarly, we both have separate Facebook accounts. Can the new iPad4 (iOS6) be easily set up to access two separate Facebook accounts? How do you choose which one - log out and log in as another user?
Assuming that it's relatively straightforward to do that is it easy to upload a single photograph to your Facebook status - is it also easy to create new albums?

I'm assuming 'multi-user' accounts (much like a Windows PC) at login (switch on?) is out of the question?

I have browsed the user guide and 'iPad of beginners' and, while they explain setting up the various apps there's very little on sharing or multi-user accounts.

I love the idea of the iPad, I really do, but there's a little demon sat on my shoulder whispering '... forget the iPad - buy a shiny new ultrabook...'
Thanks for bearing with me - any advice is much appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks - first-timer here...
I am almost sold on the (wi-fi only) iPad4 (I want one - just not sure whether I need one)...little snip...

We both have separate Hotmail accounts. I understand I can add several email accounts to the iPad but then how do you access the separate accounts. Are there two Mail 'shortcuts' on the main screen? Do you hit the 'Mail' app and then choose which one to access?
Is it straightforward to send attachments with emails (photos, etc.)

If you don't mind the fact that you or your wife have the ability to see each other's emails, then you can share the Mail app for your Hotmail accounts. There is an "all accounts" view, but you can access each e-mail account separately. And, it's straightforward to use. If you are in your specific e-mail account (within the Mail app), you can send photos and such and have it reflect your own e-mail address.

The only hassle you might find is that you need to set a default e-mail address (in case you choose to e-mail from within another app other than the Mail app - the iPad will need to know which address you want to use). So, you'll have to decide who's e-mail will be the default (or set up one just to be the default for both of you).

Oh, and you won't be able to attach files other than photos to your e-mail. The iPad is set up so that each app is "sandboxed" - it can't communicate with another, not even Mail. So, you'd have to be in an app to send a file from it. Thus, the need for the default e-mail.

Similarly, we both have separate Facebook accounts. Can the new iPad4 (iOS6) be easily set up to access two separate Facebook accounts? How do you choose which one - log out and log in as another user?
Assuming that it's relatively straightforward to do that is it easy to upload a single photograph to your Facebook status - is it also easy to create new albums?

Yes, you can log in and out of the Facebook app. However, you may find it easier, given the plethora of Facebook apps available, for each of you to get your own app that accesses Facebook. Then, you won't have to log in and out.

Regardless, yes, Facebook is pretty integrated on the iPad and uploading photos is relatively painless.

I'm assuming 'multi-user' accounts (much like a Windows PC) at login (switch on?) is out of the question?

I have browsed the user guide and 'iPad of beginners' and, while they explain setting up the various apps there's very little on sharing or multi-user accounts.

I love the idea of the iPad, I really do, but there's a little demon sat on my shoulder whispering '... forget the iPad - buy a shiny new ultrabook...'
Thanks for bearing with me - any advice is much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the iPad has been designed to be a "one person" device. Yes, it can be shared - and is shared. You'll just have to be creative on the sharing process. If you are not concerned about having your wife see everything (and vice versa), then the iPad can be effectively used by you two.

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

Hamors

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. I can answe you with regards the FB accounts. the primarly registration ins on my name. The only thingis you have to log out So If I you than log in again, there is written "not xxxx?" And the second log in email pops up..... I know that because my dog has a fb account ;)
Good luck

Most reactions

Latest posts