What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad and MacBook Air

RFCohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, new here. Purchased a MacBook Air last fall. Tossup at the time between that and ipad, and opted for Air because it's more functional for my work, Office spreadsheet functions. Own a 1st generation Kindle for reading. Really would like to have ipad 2, but am I nuts? Probably don't need it, due to the overlap in the technology, so please tell me why I shouldn't be without ipad even with the others I already have. Thanks.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Like you say, there is an overlap, but.....

The iPad and MacBook air will compliment each other, you may not want to carry the air around with you all the time, thus the iPad can do that job, with the kindle, you are limited to what it an do compared to the iPad

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is impossible to fully explain how much use you can get out of the iPad. It is like explaining bread. You can tell that it is used to make sandwiches, toast, stuffing, etc., but you cannot describe how great these things taste. And then some one gets a loaf and discovers they like it to make french toast.

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
It is impossible to fully explain how much use you can get out of the iPad. It is like explaining bread. You can tell that it is used to make sandwiches, toast, stuffing, etc., but you cannot describe how great these things taste. And then some one gets a loaf and discovers they like it to make french toast.

LOL! Love the analogy, so true!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my bread as a trencher or bread bowl for soup. :p

What are the corresponding uses for iPad to those?

OP
R

RFCohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. This reminds me of the old adage that says "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." :) In this one, it's like all gadgets/tech tools, etc., which always has told me "You don't really need it, you can live without it, but you know you want it and you're gonna get it, so just shut up and go experience it." Thanks for the quick replies. Birthday/Father's day coming soon.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The MacBook air could be your home device and the iPad can be on the go device.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and a MB Air. I had an iPad 2 but returned it for the Air--originally was going to sell the iPad 1 and just upgrade to the 2. In my case I was kind of needing a laptop too, though the irony is that the reason it is "kind of" is because of the iPad.

But right now the iPad and Air seem like a nice combo. The Air is enough laptop for my needs, as my prior laptop was mainly just a client to remote into other machines. But to me the air is a truly amazing machine. It's not the much larger than the iPad and yet does not feel that compromised (compared to Netbooks I have tried). It even charges my iPad, which I find a bonus (even when Air is off).

When I traveled with only my iPad I started bringing along the bluetooth keyboard, and it's case. I think now if I needed to do any keyboard work I would just bring iPad and the Air. Together they are still light compared to my other laptop.

One area where the Air just cannot compete is in battery life. While it is good on the Air, it is excellent on the iPad. For handheld use, no question the iPad is of course it. But when I don't want to hold the iPad, getting the screen angle "just right" is often a chore--at least with my case. With the Air of course that means just moving the screen up or down a little.

OTOH the Air, despite its diminutive appearance, is a full fledged Mac: it can use USB devices, runs flash if needed, you name it. Of course I find myself not using the entire screen much of the time, as I often have several windows open. I would almost like a more "full screen" operation like my iPad (thought that sword cuts both ways--many times I am happy it is easier to switch around open windows on the Air). Seems like OS X Lion will have that full screen mode. Should be interesting on the Air.

So in my opinion the two products go together well. If you have both you will no doubt reach out to touch the screen on the Air, and might even reach for the trackpad on the iPad :). But if I had to choose just one, and I needed a regular laptop at times, even a light one, it would have to be the Air.

Michael

OP
R

RFCohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael, that's a great report. I use Air for some work, still do most of my spreadsheet work on PC, but I find Air to be a terrific computer. I love it. I love Apple products. So, I know I'm going to love ipad2 when I start using it. Just made the decision based upon all of your comments. Thank you.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael, that's a great report. I use Air for some work, still do most of my spreadsheet work on PC, but I find Air to be a terrific computer. I love it. I love Apple products. So, I know I'm going to love ipad2 when I start using it. Just made the decision based upon all of your comments. Thank you.

Glad it helped! You will love the iPad 2.

Michael

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have both an Air and an iPad, and they work really well together as Michael has said. One thing he didn't mention was Air Display, which lets you use your iPad as a second screen over a wireless network. I've a MiFi, so with that I can have a two-screen setup with me wherever I am, and it works a treat.

My other trick is that both the iPad and Air go into the one case, a Booq Viper which is a hard case made for the Air but that happens to fit an iPad 1 with Apple case still on in it, at the same time. (admittedly the Air's power lead doesn't fit, but that's all)

Have my Apple and eat it? Most definitely ;-)

Have Fun,
Gleth

Daisy102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both the iPad and the MacBook Air offer phenomenal hardware solutions, but they occupy distinct niches. A well-accessorized iPad may take you pretty far along the way in getting work done on-the-go, but in no way does it provide the full OS X experience. In cost as well as weight, a low-end MacBook Air is not all that different from an iPad, but it lacks the simple form factor and touch-based interface that makes the iPad a perfect lightweight reading and connectivity solution. Two tools, two form factors -- which one is right for you?

At this time, Apple's computing solutions consist of five families. They include:

* Pocket solutions: small in form factor and big in music and gaming, these include the iPhone and iPod touch pocket-based devices.
* Tablets: perfect for on-the-go reading, media watching and lightweight connectivity, this family is represented by the iPad.
* Laptops: including the sleek MacBook Air as well as the more powerful (but larger) MacBook Pro, laptops provide mobility crossed with full OS X solutions.
* Desktops: ranging from the consumer-grade Mac mini through the incredibly able iMacs and topping out with the Mac Pro, these computers let you get your work done with as many monitors, hard drives and printers as your work demands.
* Other: a catch-all family for computers that don't fit into the other categories, this family is currently limited to the non-mobile TV-based Apple TV, which provides an iOS solution with a limited user appliance interface.

The iPad and MacBook Air belong to separate families, and yet they're often put up against each other for purchasing decisions, especially when considering the 11-inch entry MBA. Both provide mobile on-the-go solutions. Both are lightweight. Both are affordable. So why go for one over the other? It all comes down to use case.

When the MacBook Air first debuted, many people called it "Apple's netbook." It wasn't. The Air is a full-featured laptop with a proper keyboard and screen, despite its small size. Netbooks, for all that they looked like laptops, were used in a different way. Their incredibly low cost and mobile form factor was not geared to providing a full OS experience. Instead, they provided a simpler on-the-go way to keep in touch and perform light computing tasks. Netbook computing wasn't about work, it was about connectivity and experiencing media, the same tasks now performed by Apple's iPad.

The iPad is the perfect device for playing games, watching some shows, checking email, surfing the Web and reading books. It may not be the ideal device for any single one of those tasks, but it is excellent at doing all of them. Add in its incredibly slim form factor and amazing portability, and you're looking at what the netbook should have been from the beginning. Instead of shrinking a laptop and using 5 percent of a standard operating system, the iPad offers core netbook functionality with a physical package that beautifully matches those tasks.

What the iPad does not do well is work. Yes, you can get work done when the need arises, but the iPad was not designed for day-to-day business. It is, at its heart, a netbook with the core demands of light computing and connectivity guiding its use. If you want multitasking, multiple windows, professional software suites and so forth, then you want a proper computer running a full-featured OS. You want a laptop or desktop, not a pocket or tablet device, even if you still need mobility.

That's where the MacBook Air excels. It provides the same kind of beautiful form factor and portability that typifies the iPad while adding in the full OS X experience. When your demands are business, deadlines and mobility, the MBA is the solution. Yes, you can find iPad workarounds and viewers, but why settle?

The MBA offers exactly the same UI, the same software and the same power as other desktop installations, but it provides these on a lightweight laptop that travels in the car and to the coffee shop as well as into the boardroom and the classroom. It does this with a full hardware keyboard and trackpad, without iPad compromise.

In the end, it all comes down to you and your needs. The iPad is not a laptop, and laptops are not iPads. Your specific use case and your personal needs should guide you as to whether you want to cuddle up with an iPad or drink mocha with a MacBook. They are both powerful, affordable and usable solutions. Which one is right for you?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad and MacBook air will compliment each other, you may not want to carry the air around with you all the time

Well, if you have compared iPad with a standard laptop, I would have said yes. But Macbook Air itself is so light that iPad won't give you any extra portability.

In fact, I would rather say Macbook/Air and iPad are not a very good combo because they are so similar.

A windows/Linux laptop + iPad 1/2 will be a much better combo as you'll have best of both worlds.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. This reminds me of the old adage that says "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it." :) In this one, it's like all gadgets/tech tools, etc., which always has told me "You don't really need it, you can live without it, but you know you want it and you're gonna get it, so just shut up and go experience it." Thanks for the quick replies. Birthday/Father's day coming soon.

IMHO it all comes down to handling. The AIR is super nice for typing, and interfacing the Mac and PC world. But try lounging on the couch or in my lazyboy and holding or supporting it in one hand. After a while it gets tedious and uncomfortable. We travel a lot and have a nice camper. The iPad2 has 10 hours of battery, the bride can read, do puzzles, check the internet, watch a movie, and download photos shot that day and have fun reviewing them. It is backlit and is EZ to use in low light levels. It is an awesome product. I have a work shop ... I have lots of tools ... no single tool does everything ... just use the right tool ... does a better job ... results are more satisfying.

We don't want you to shut up ... nice questions. I am sure others wonder about the same thing.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both the iPad and the MacBook Air offer phenomenal hardware solutions, but they occupy distinct niches. A well-accessorized iPad may take you pretty far along the way in getting work done on-the-go, but in no way does it provide the full OS X experience. In cost as well as weight, a low-end MacBook Air is not all that different from an iPad, but it lacks the simple form factor and touch-based interface that makes the iPad a perfect lightweight reading and connectivity solution. Two tools, two form factors -- which one is right for you?

At this time, Apple's computing solutions consist of five families. They include:

* Pocket solutions: small in form factor and big in music and gaming, these include the iPhone and iPod touch pocket-based devices.
* Tablets: perfect for on-the-go reading, media watching and lightweight connectivity, this family is represented by the iPad.
* Laptops: including the sleek MacBook Air as well as the more powerful (but larger) MacBook Pro, laptops provide mobility crossed with full OS X solutions.
* Desktops: ranging from the consumer-grade Mac mini through the incredibly able iMacs and topping out with the Mac Pro, these computers let you get your work done with as many monitors, hard drives and printers as your work demands.
* Other: a catch-all family for computers that don't fit into the other categories, this family is currently limited to the non-mobile TV-based Apple TV, which provides an iOS solution with a limited user appliance interface.

The iPad and MacBook Air belong to separate families, and yet they're often put up against each other for purchasing decisions, especially when considering the 11-inch entry MBA. Both provide mobile on-the-go solutions. Both are lightweight. Both are affordable. So why go for one over the other? It all comes down to use case.

When the MacBook Air first debuted, many people called it "Apple's netbook." It wasn't. The Air is a full-featured laptop with a proper keyboard and screen, despite its small size. Netbooks, for all that they looked like laptops, were used in a different way. Their incredibly low cost and mobile form factor was not geared to providing a full OS experience. Instead, they provided a simpler on-the-go way to keep in touch and perform light computing tasks. Netbook computing wasn't about work, it was about connectivity and experiencing media, the same tasks now performed by Apple's iPad.

The iPad is the perfect device for playing games, watching some shows, checking email, surfing the Web and reading books. It may not be the ideal device for any single one of those tasks, but it is excellent at doing all of them. Add in its incredibly slim form factor and amazing portability, and you're looking at what the netbook should have been from the beginning. Instead of shrinking a laptop and using 5 percent of a standard operating system, the iPad offers core netbook functionality with a physical package that beautifully matches those tasks.

What the iPad does not do well is work. Yes, you can get work done when the need arises, but the iPad was not designed for day-to-day business. It is, at its heart, a netbook with the core demands of light computing and connectivity guiding its use. If you want multitasking, multiple windows, professional software suites and so forth, then you want a proper computer running a full-featured OS. You want a laptop or desktop, not a pocket or tablet device, even if you still need mobility.

That's where the MacBook Air excels. It provides the same kind of beautiful form factor and portability that typifies the iPad while adding in the full OS X experience. When your demands are business, deadlines and mobility, the MBA is the solution. Yes, you can find iPad workarounds and viewers, but why settle?

The MBA offers exactly the same UI, the same software and the same power as other desktop installations, but it provides these on a lightweight laptop that travels in the car and to the coffee shop as well as into the boardroom and the classroom. It does this with a full hardware keyboard and trackpad, without iPad compromise.

In the end, it all comes down to you and your needs. The iPad is not a laptop, and laptops are not iPads. Your specific use case and your personal needs should guide you as to whether you want to cuddle up with an iPad or drink mocha with a MacBook. They are both powerful, affordable and usable solutions. Which one is right for you?

Wow ... what a nice explanation. You hit a home run with this one. Thanks. (I should have read this first, before I offer a viewpoint ... actually this is one of the better threads and responses I've read thru lately. This group of responders have been most helpful. Thanks gang.)

Last edited:

Most reactions