What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Future IOS updates

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Who thinks iPad 1 will stop getting updates?

I think iPad will get up to IOS 6 update but will be limited in features

IPad 2 will get IOS 7 but limited in features etc

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. iPad 1 support should be carried until iOS 6. I know my original iPod Touch had support for a little while but one of the iOS upgrades I had to pay $10. Hopefully they won't do that with the iPad updates.

OP
Gunny008

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Original iPad will probably get up to 6.1 or something then.

Reaction score
Jman09 said:
I agree. iPad 1 support should be carried until iOS 6. I know my original iPod Touch had support for a little while but one of the iOS upgrades I had to pay $10. Hopefully they won't do that with the iPad updates.

Customers are required to pay for each major update, I.e. from iOS 4 to iOS 5. This has always been the case and is unlikely to change.

T

TJK

DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Customers are required to pay for each major update, I.e. from iOS 4 to iOS 5. This has always been the case and is unlikely to change.

I did not have to pay when I went from 3 to 4 on any of my iOS devices. That was a pretty major update.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPod Touch 2G started with iOS 2.x and support ended at 4.2 albeit with many of the "cool" features left out. That is about 1.5 major updates (I can't call the update from 3 to 4 a complete update). I will be happy if the iPad gets to iOS 6 but I'm not counting on it. Even if it does, I imagine many of the features that come with such an update will not be available on the original iPad.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually not fussed about iPad 1 not getting a major update: the iOS 4.3.1 seems stable enough so far and it does everything I need it to, and Apple is generally very good with their OS platform code.

But another truism (especially with electronics) is: "if it's not broke, don't try to fix it." In a way it's nice to not have to worry or stress about "should I upgrade this time?"

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
TJK said:
I did not have to pay when I went from 3 to 4 on any of my iOS devices. That was a pretty major update.

It's not quite as black and white as dontunderstandmyipad made out...

Apple's policy as per the terms of use you sign up to by using your iDevice indicates that you are entitled to one major OS upgrade free of charge, however future upgrades may be chargeable at Apple's discretion. Nice and vague!

In practice Apple makes a judgement call based on whether the upgrade will improve security or open up additional revenue streams meaning it is highly advantageous to have the majority of users upgrade.

Since IOS 5 is supposed to have an radical cloud based model it is anyones guess as to how this will be pitched. My money would be it will be free to all users who's device is capable of running it. The cloud based model will significantly increase Apples potential to make money and further dominate the market.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
It's not quite as black and white as dontunderstandmyipad made out...

Apple's policy as per the terms of use you sign up to by using your iDevice indicates that you are entitled to one major OS upgrade free of charge, however future upgrades may be chargeable at Apple's discretion. Nice and vague!

In practice Apple makes a judgement call based on whether the upgrade will improve security or open up additional revenue streams meaning it is highly advantageous to have the majority of users upgrade.

Since IOS 5 is supposed to have an radical cloud based model it is anyones guess as to how this will be pitched. My money would be it will be free to all users who's device is capable of running it. The cloud based model will significantly increase Apples potential to make money and further dominate the market.

Yep.

Even then, paid OS updates are DIRT cheap. Anyone in this thread ever look at the cost of a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, lately?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Yep.

Even then, paid OS updates are DIRT cheap. Anyone in this thread ever look at the cost of a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, lately?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

A Mac OS X disk costs $40 (US).

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
A Mac OS X disk costs $40 (US).

$40 still beats $200 any day.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TJK said:

Same here. I paid $10 for iOS 3 on my iPod touch 2g but not to update it to 4.

64GB 3G White iPad

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
Same here. I paid $10 for iOS 3 on my iPod touch 2g but not to update it to 4.

64GB 3G White iPad

strange my friend didn't have to pay anything to update anything and he has a 2G ipod Touch.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
strange my friend didn't have to pay anything to update anything and he has a 2G ipod Touch.

I had to pay $10 to upgrade my 2G Touch to iOS 3.0. I believe at some point Apple started giving it out for free though.

Most reactions