What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Air is exiting to home screen more than ever

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad Air continues to exit me to the home screen when using the mail app and Safari.

Yes, I have turned it off completely and all the other standard fixes have been tried. They have been done and done again. Still crashes. Are others with iPad Air having the same issue? If not, since I have the care package, I will take it back to the Apple Store for replacement. Interested in iPad Air only because I want to know about other iPad Airs and exits to the home screen. It is the latest iOS update.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never had these problems with mine, and I use it most of the time. Way more often than my mini.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I may have to back mine up and take it in to Apple. It seems if it was an iOS issue, everyone using the iPad Air would be having the issue. And it is happening more frequently now. The Safari and Mail apps came built in it. At least they should be working properly.

If I select more than 4 emails to move or delete, I am exited out. I have to doit three r four times, or do one email at a time. If I open and email, I will quite often get exited to the home screen.

When I am using Safari, I get exited to the Home screen on a regular basis.

It was not doing this on such a regular basis before. At least I have the care package. That has saved me many times.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Definitely something wrong. Mail and Safari have been reasonably stable for me.

If you're close enough, then taking it to the Apple Store and letting them have a go at it is a good idea. They can test for hardware problems, or at least make sure it gets a clean restore to the OS.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

And I agree. I'm unlikely to buy another iOS device without Applecare. When they added the accident replacement service I could no longer justify not buying it. As things stand now tablets and smartphones are a bad combination of expensive and fragile; and so convenient and fun that we're willing to buy them anyway.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still get the odd crash, Sometimes more than others, It's not nearly as bad as in the beginning in though, Changing mine for another made no difference, I think the updates have helped, I got used to and it doesn't bother me as much now.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still get the odd crash, Sometimes more than others, It's not nearly as bad as in the beginning in though, Changing mine for another made no difference, I think the updates have helped, I got used to and it doesn't bother me as much now.

Are your crashes with random apps or still mainly just with safari being involved? Just curious. I've e never had any issues of the sort but many people seem to have. Always ends up being safari in some way shape or form. It's obvious safari needs work and apple needs to get on it!

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is happening in Safari and the mail app that comes on the iPad Air. Doesn't matter if it is Facebook with Safari or just simply browsing the web. Since I mentioned Facebook, no I am not talking about the Facebook App. I do not use that. I am in Safari and go to my Facebook page from there. Also, I am not talking only the Facebook site. It can be any site. It doesn't matter if I use Google, Yahoo, or whatever. It is simply Safari and the mail that comes on the pads.

Also, it has happened again and again since doing the latest 7.1.1 update just last night.

Last edited:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are your crashes with random apps or still mainly just with safari being involved? Just curious. I've e never had any issues of the sort but many people seem to have. Always ends up being safari in some way shape or form. It's obvious safari needs work and apple needs to get on it!
I mainly use Safari so i would have to say yes also it doesn't seem to be anything in particular that makes it crash, In the beginning when i first had the Air (from release day) it crashed a lot in Safari and Chrome and nothing helped, I remember i had a lot of crashes in Googlemail so i reinstalled it and it improved, I have to say in 2.5yrs of having my ipad2 i never had one crash, Now i just accept that at some point my Air will crash back to the home screen, I have stopped wondering why now.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I mainly use Safari so i would have to say yes also it doesn't seem to be anything in particular that makes it crash, In the beginning when i first had the Air (from release day) it crashed a lot in Safari and Chrome and nothing helped, I remember i had a lot of crashes in Googlemail so i reinstalled it and it improved, I have to say in 2.5yrs of having my ipad2 i never had one crash, Now i just accept that at some point my Air will crash back to the home screen, I have stopped wondering why now.

Well that's just not acceptable. Have you swapped out units just to see if that helped? IMO, the device isn't working as designed and apple should make it right!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's just not acceptable. Have you swapped out units just to see if that helped? IMO, the device isn't working as designed and apple should make it right!
Yes as i mentioned earlier i changed it, this is my second Air, I could have changed it for a third one but there was no point, In my case it isn't a hardware problem of that I'm sure, I can cope with the odd crash, Compared to how it was before the updates its a big improvement.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Mine does it once on a while, but I think it is only safari and mail that does it, or at least mainly, I use AirVideo alot and I don't remember it ever kicking me to the home screen

I think it is software(app) programming issues, re how they handle memory

Last edited:

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad Air Safari crashes perhaps once ever 4-8 hours of use or so. My iPad 1 crashes much more, perhaps every 2 hours of use. it doesnt seem to relate to the complexity of the website and restarting Safari going to the same site never double crashes.

I think Chrome on my Android tab is somewhat less crash prone. And all the browsers on my PCs and laptops are far, far less crash prone (IE, Firefox and Chrome).

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad Air Safari crashes perhaps once ever 4-8 hours of use or so. My iPad 1 crashes much more, perhaps every 2 hours of use. it doesnt seem to relate to the complexity of the website and restarting Safari going to the same site never double crashes. I think Chrome on my Android tab is somewhat less crash prone. And all the browsers on my PCs and laptops are far, far less crash prone (IE, Firefox and Chrome).
Did you contact apple or swap it out? Not everyone has these issues and that makes me wonder if there are a few devices out there with a possible hard to trigger hardware problem on top of safari memory management problems. Just a thought.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you contact apple or swap it out? Not everyone has these issues and that makes me wonder if there are a few devices out there with a possible hard to trigger hardware problem on top of safari memory management problems. Just a thought.

I know I am going to my Apple store when I am back from a short trip. I have the care plan, so I am sure they will swap it out. They had to swap out three iPad 2's. That care plan is so worth it with pads and phones.

I have some docs on my Goodreader that I have to transfer to my computer first. Not a big deal. It is quick and easy to do. I need them there anyway for reference access but just haven't done it yet.

It crashed 7 times yesterday while using Safari and 3 times when using my mail. Watch, it won't do it there. I think I will record what I am doing with my iPhone once in a while so they can see it happen. I do that with sewing and machine embroidery issues with my machine. That should work for this, also. I can blur the text with Skitch. They just have to see it crash and that I am in the mail and Safari built in apps.

It just dawned on me while proofreading this, it has NEVER happened with any apps I have downloaded. It is always the Safari and Mail. I think that is a tell. At least for this non-techy-knowledge-based mind! LOL

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine crashed three times last night and every time i was on Facebook, Its actually a Supermarkets FB page where you go to look at new products or make complaints ect , I think the fact that it crashes only on certain sites (In my case anyway) shows it isn't a hardware issue so no amount of exchanging will make any difference, (This is my second Air) I really think this will go on indefinitely and i just put up with it now.

Most reactions