What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Addict Gets in Trouble for Refusing to Turn Off Device On Plane

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

A cautionary tale this, from Jalopnik, about a troublesome traveller that the blog post writer, Lux Alptraum, came across on a flight from Chicago to New York last week. It all started as the plane took off and the man sitting next to the writer turned on his iPad. When a flight attendant told the passenger to turn off the device, instead of turning it off, the passenger gave the attendant some lip, but then turned off the iPad when the attendant told him that it was an FAA regulation that he should do so. The passenger, presumably duly chastened, finally turned it off, only to turn it back on again the minute the attendant turned away! The attendant then came back and told the passenger that he was in danger of forcing the plane to taxi back to the gate, where he would be met by police if he didn’t turn his iPad off, and the captain then also issued a warning over the intercom. Once again, the recalcitrant passenger put his iPad away, and, according to Alptraum, everything would have been okay if the plane hadn’t then been delayed for 90 minutes by bad weather, prompting the iPad owner to ask the attendants for alcohol. More shenanigans ensued, which you can read about in detail in the blog post. The plane eventually did take off, but the iPad owner caused even more of a ruckus, demanding alcohol and so forth, with the end result that he was arrested when the plane landed at LaGuardia, and will apparently now be placed on the no-fly list for the foreseeable future.

Now all I want to know is, what app was so fascinating that he couldn’t turn it off even for a minute? I’m thinking Angry Birds HD…

Source: Jalopnik

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you do know that the whole thing about modern day electronics on the plane is a b.s. story that they airlines use ..

it was proven on mythbusters about the modern day electronics and airplanes electronic displays units..they proved it does not happen at anytime when useing a modern device on the place..

so my figureing it about the power over the people locked inside the metal tube of the socalled plane at the time..

CL601pilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sooooooooooo what about the airplane mode? That whole thing about powering it down completely is a bunch of bs!!

Todd M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just flew to Atlanta and I had my iPad on during the flight watching a movie and the attendants never said a word to me. The one saw me watching a movie and asked if I wanted something to drink. Not sure if it's by airline or by whoever is working the flight.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and so what so should a passenger do when ask by a flight attendant? show Ipad that it's on an "airplane" mode?

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fly regularly and never turn my 16 gig wifi iPad off. I just put it in the seat back and pull it back out after the flight attendant puts her seatbelt on. There is no need to turn off any wifi device in a plane. It's all a bunch off bs.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I absolutely agree that the regulations are BS, are you going to teach your children that they can ignore any law/regulation that they consider BS? Do you really think a position that I can ignore what I disagree with is limited to a stupid regulation.

Sorry, I do not like the rule either; however.............

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my brother always calls me from the plane in secret. i always told him it's against the rules. and his reply was always " I'd like to know how good the pilot is" .

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At least it was an iPad and not an alligator.......

Sounds as if he was twitched about flying and was desperate for distraction........either that or he had just downloaded the Victoria's Secret app........

gilroykilroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually there was an episode of Myth Busters that actually did show that people using electronic devices during takeoff and landing do have an effect on the airplane's electronic systems.

MythBusters Episode 49: Cell Phones on a Plane

I don't know about you but it is worth it to me not to have my electronic devices on for 30 minutes (total) in order not to plummet into the ground...

lrrry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sooooooooooo what about the airplane mode? That whole thing about powering it down completely is a bunch of bs!!

CL601,

Sounds by your name, you're a pilot, and you should know that YES, it "could" cause an issue, however, the IPad is probably not a problem like cell phones can be.

The FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) provide for the operator to determine if an electronic device could cause a problem before using it, and most carriers have determined that there's enough of a risk to prohibit use for the departure and arrival stage. However, using it on the ground during a delay should be fine. However, even though the flight attendant was unreasonable and the guy was a jerk....so the guy gets arrested. I've done that on several flights of mine when a passenger is unreasonable, and belligerent. You can't inconvenience 150 passengers for one idiot.

Now, for the record, there's many of us that use the IPad as an EFB (electronic flight bag) for chart, etc, myself included, and found absolutely no issues. Great devise for that.

Larryo
Airline Transport Pilot

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MR Larry O since you are in the business of beening a person who flys people for a liveing on the show mythbuster is really was never proven to a point where the device did or not become a problem..

so my basic question for you sir ..

with the advances of the socalled tech among the pilot control panel system would it not be safe to say that the devices we use now for our in flight enjoyment sir is safer than the devices from the year 2000 when useing them in flight on a airplane ..

plus part two is this statement ..

for i had also seen some of the flight attendants i have seen in my 32 years of flying i would not trust to do anything but stand there and be a guide and that it ..

there is also a way to asked someone when it time to or need to put away a deivce also for some of the male or female flight attendants really do not ask in a very nice way about putting some thing away and maybe that was the cause of the guy not putting the ipad away when asked .. some of them do not have good personal skills about some areas ...i seen one on a more recent flight when the plane was on the ground taxiing to the gate ..she had her phone out and texting people allready and when asked about a gate number she had this look why are you brothering me now ..

for trips where it a storm filled night of lighting stikes and thunderstorms iam pretty much do not see a problem with saying ok anything that could bring something down on the plane i understand or if we are hit by something we need to get out quick put up the items and get ready to get the heck off the plane...

i also under the stand the reason of why haveing it put up and the cabin ready for landing in case oh-cr-p-- moment when the pllot and crew have to do there best to keep us safe and ready to get out of the plane with a maxium amount of seconds before something really bad happens and you do not need the stupid person sitting there fumbleing around with the laptop

Betty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airplane stuff

I'm a retired Flight Attendant...it seems as if the original problem started when the passenger didn't want to put away the Ipad for take off....the FAA requires all electronic devices to be stowed for take off and landing as a safety issue...they want you to be ready for any problem that may arise, and for good reason...how would you like to be knocked in the head with a laptop or other hard plastic item if the plane has to stop quickly or swerves and the user let's go of the item...it's YOU that will get smacked as it flies loose in the cabin...take off and landing is a serious time of flight and attention should be paid...believe me, things happen very fast at 200 MPH....that's why one FA wanted it put away, but another during flight didn't have a problem with it....

Most reactions

Latest posts