What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 64GB WiFi problems (cannot connect)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to settings, then select your wifi click the blue arrow so you can see your ip address etc... Click static and setup the correct ip.

wcsiaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got this problem this morning... :(

WiFi is turned on. It connects to my network and I get a full signal, but I can't Safari doesn't let me browse anything, cannot download my mails and cannot access my facebook apps. It returns NOT CONNECTED TO INTERNET.

I've also tried to reset my ipad's network settings and resetting my routers. This doesn't help :(

It seems like the iPad doesn't get an IP-address from DHCP.

Anyone managed to solve this issue?

Renshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After months of connectivity problems, I finally relined and bought ban Apple airport extreme router. No more problems.

schreijo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G vs N

Is there a way to reset the Ipad to connect to a G router? The Apple router I have at my house is an N and I connect fine. At work the router is a G and I cannot connect. Anyone else run into this???

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPad can't connect at "N" speeds to a "G" router. The speed switching is done automatically in response to what kind of router it sees. If you can't connect at work, it is more likely a security issue than a speed issue.

w1ngman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[I'll leave my 'ranty' post here rather than delete it... BUT...note a few posts further down that I resolved my [personal] situation by: 1) powering off the iPad, 2) rebooting my wireless router, then 3) powering up iPad. Both then shook hands again gracefully...]

Today I find myself running into this same blasted 169 DHCP issue :(. I have tried *nearly everything* suggested down through this thread (did someone suggest whipping the iPad out the window?...I don't recall, but I'm feeling it!). I didn't try buying a 'ban Apple airport extreme router'??? And I did not download latest router drivers. But...c'mon...this flaky issue as you'll read below all the sudden happens against ALL wireless routers I'm encountering. THAT is not a fault of a specific router. It has to be that the iPad is at fault somehow.

I first experienced it at my corporate office, where when we identified the mis-assignment of the 169 IP addy, we manually entered all the goodies. While that proved fine for the iPad while at work...as soon as I got home I discovered it was flaking out the same way mis-assigning a 169 IP to my home wireless as well. Note: since one of the suggestions on this thread was to dump/reset all network settings, obviously the manually keyed items for the work network are chucked now (I'll deal with that in the am back at the office I suppose...)

I can't understand why folks keep pointing to it being a problem with a specific router (when time and again through this thread / folks' reported troubles), its evident that the iPad is faultily assigning an IP address for the routers.

GOD, but this is frustrating. I googled the problem on my home PC (which works peeeeeeerfectly fine on my wireless router btw), to see that this was apparently a somewhat heavy issue back around April & May...but I'm not coming across many current posts/threads covering this same turf.

I just purchased this iPad new from BB last Thursday. Its wireless has been working FLAWLESSLY...at work...at home...and visiting a family member's home/wireless network. I *can* report that yesterday afternoon it was extreeeeeeeeeemely slow to connect to web pages while at the office (perhaps a precursor to the results of today?). But when I left work, I don't recall having connected the iPad to the internet for anything at the house. I do recall that, having removed some unwanted apps from the iPad and from iTunes...I'd opted to sync before going to bed. And once the sync completed, I connected it to power to charge up overnight. That was that...then this am the no-go IP 169 reassignment ceeerap at work. Seriously...is there no dead-on known solution for this???

Any additional / newly known solutions are MOST welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Last edited:

w1ngman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After months of connectivity problems, I finally relined and bought ban Apple airport extreme router. No more problems.

I have no idea what was posted here :confused:. It is the one thing reading down through various posts that I have *not* tried... While I'm guessing the 'b' in 'ban' was a typo, the fact is, such a purchase wouldn't resolve my work router issue...or any other rogue (aka hotspot) router I encounter. I mean, wireless...should...work.

Last edited:

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you power down reset the iPad? Fully power off then wait at least 30 seconds, power up? Try the reboot, hold power past the slide screen until apple logo comes up?

Maybe new iOS will help...should be out this weekend.

w1ngman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did all that BrennB....

....BUT!... I guess I fibbed earlier about trying nearly everything. I decided while the iPad was in a powered off state (not sleep...powered off), to reboot my router and let it come up fully, then I powered up the iPad and let it shake hands. No 169 IP issue...connectivity perfect again! I'll try this at the office tomorrow as well (if arriving to work I experience this issue there as well).

Sorry for the rant :( but gosh that was frustrating (given it had carried on over the course of the afternoon/evening. Let's hope this is behind me :thumbup::)

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Hey Wingman, Good luck with it all. I am quite suspicious that there is very probably a fault within your iPad, but there is no way I could troubleshoot that. With all of the iPads out there by now ther HAVE to be some faulty devices.

What got my attention was your location ("bumpass, VA") and the fact that you are most likely a naval aviator with the username "w1ngman" So you have my sympathies and my support on two accounts.

Take care and good luck,
Tom

Renshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We tried everything, we finally bought an apple router.. Everything has worked awesome since.

aramb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having similiar problems as posted earlier, except that they didn't start UNTIL upgrading to OS 4.2. The iPad shows a good, strong wifi connection, but Safari says it is not connected to the internet. I have disabled Autofill Names & Passwords in Safari, I have disable Auto Brightness control. I do note that the IP address is all screwed up. If I do a reset of network settings, it will reconnect to the wifi network and all is good for about 8-12 hours. When I get up the next morning, same problem and a weird IP address. Reset all network settings, reconnect to the network and I'm good to go again. But c'mon... this is really a bunch of crap to have to go through every time you want to log on to the internet.

I have been to the Apple store multiple times and it connects flawlessly there and they tell me its a router problem. Somehow, I don't think so. Any suggestions?

Renaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had that problem maybe after upgrading os. I finally deleted my wifi network then rejoined it again. Safari would open web pages after that. The problem is also evident with my netcom 3g wifi modem. I have low wifi here so I will need to try this fix again after I get to a place of signal.

aramb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem today (again)... except I was able to connect by just turning OFF and back ON the WIFI switch under Settings>Wifi Networks.

What the heck?

Do I need a different router? I am running a Linksys WRT160n v2 with current firmware.

Most reactions

Latest posts