What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 64 no wifi 4.2 JB: cydia crash

fcefalu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, i finally decided to update to 4.2 and to JB my Ipad, everything seemed to be fine but once rebooted cydia keep crashing (after unthered reboot). Any idea about how to sort it out? txs

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does not sound as though you have correctly rebooted tethered to redsn0w. Describe exactly what you are doing when you reboot...

OP
F

fcefalu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i actually follow the procedure, open redsnow, folllow instruction, put in in DFU, switch off, flag the right option, JB, reboot.... and nothing, cydia seems to be correctly installed but nothing....

jutley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had big problems with 4.2.1 and cydia on a iphone 3g it wont install all pakages i dont know if the ipad is doing the same as my ipad is still on 3.2.2 firmware jailbroken untethered with limerain.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i actually follow the procedure, open redsnow, folllow instruction, put in in DFU, switch off, flag the right option, JB, reboot.... and nothing, cydia seems to be correctly installed but nothing....

If you are sure you are doing it properly (you see a pineapple when the iPad boots correctly tethered, not the white apple logo, right?), then something serious is wrong. The easiest suggestion is to restore to a clean 4.2.1 and re-jailbreak. Starting afresh is a pain, but it should sort whatever problem prevented the jailbreak from working in the first place...

Daineath

iPF Noob
Reaction score

open redsnow, folllow instruction, flag the right option (install cydia 1st time - teathered JB 2nd}, following instructions [turn off] put in in DFU keep holding home button untill the 2nd waiting for reboot or ipad appears

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Luck of the draw!

My experience with the jailbreak is that sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. I think the timing of the two buttons that are involved can be rather hit or miss. I have rebooted sometimes as many as three times to get the thing going. I used the exactly same sequence as outlined in the guidelines. Then, bingo--it works. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason. I would certainly go through the procedure a number of times before "starting over." Also if you do finally get the pineapple--be patient. It takes a while to respring. At first I thought it was hung when the pineapple appeared and did not seem to be "doing" anything. Give it time.

mcerlain

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you are sure you are doing it properly (you see a pineapple when the iPad boots correctly tethered, not the white apple logo, right?), then something serious is wrong. The easiest suggestion is to restore to a clean 4.2.1 and re-jailbreak. Starting afresh is a pain, but it should sort whatever problem prevented the jailbreak from working in the first place...

Hi Folks,
My apologies, in advance, for hijacking this thread. I am experiencing the exact same problem and thought I would avoid starting a new thread for it.

I've upgraded, successfully, to 4.2.1.
Applied redsnOw, and ended up with a "white" cydia icon that would not load.
After some reading, I applied redsnow again and selected "tethered reboot" instead of "install cydia".
This seemed to correct the "white icon" issue.
I successfully started cydia and entered myself as a "user".
It asked me to upgrade a bunch of files, which I did. It showed a successfull install and prompted me to reboot the ipad.
I did.....saw the pineapple logo, and it restarted successfully.
Since then, neither cydia or safari will run. Both crash immediately on selection.
I restored the whole o/s back to a clean 4.2.1 and reapplied the jailbreak.
Same results.
Any suggestions and/or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, as long as you are seeing the pineapple and NOT the Apple logo when you reboot then it shoudl be jailbroken. You are definately running redsn0w EVERY time you reboot. It's not just the first time like a couple of people supposed...

mcerlain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success! At least partially..... I reapplied the 4.2.1 install, twice more. Each time initiating the jb from scratch. On the third try, everything worked.
Then Cydia required 2 updates....each requiring multiple reboots.
The whole process didn't leave me feeling confident....as with previous jb's.

Now, a new issue has arisen. About 50% of my icons disappeared. I find reinstalling the
app restores the icon; and the program still has all the original settings
in it!
I haven't had a chance to do another sync with my computer.....perhaps that will help?
Or am I relegated to reinstalling everything?
Thank you, F4780y, your input is sincerely appreciated.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, F4780y, your input is sincerely appreciated.

No problem. Fatboy is here to help.:D But i cant understand why you are having such a problem. I have jb 4 iPads, 3 tethered, and they were all really easy and work wihout issues (other than being tethered).

What desktop os are you working with?

mcerlain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium - 64bit.

It's the same computer I've used for all my jb'ing activites. I initially jb'd this iPad, when new, with o/s 3.2. I also jb'd a 3rd gen iPod touch as well. Both with "spirit".

I'm a little reluctant to dive into the iPod touch at this point.

re: the missing icons; is it possible those are programs that are NOT compatible with o/s 4.2? .....thus, the system just doesn't display them?

Just throwing out ideas at this point!

mcerlain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick update; I did another backup/sync and all my programs came back!
It's been a process, but it is all coming together!
It's wonderful to have these forums.

Most reactions

Latest posts