What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 4 slighlty warm display?

stickerhappy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi! gud day. just want to ask for you opinion. just got a new ipad 4. it is only a day old. the first thing i noticed when i set the screen to full brightness almost half of screen looks warm or slightly yellowish and one side looks bright bluish which i prefer. made a side comparison with my iphone and the iphone is really bright. it's not that annoying like other ipad retina owners with similar issue i saw on google. but since i still have time to replace it what do you guys think should i replace it and get a new one?thanks in advance!

here is the screenshot of my ipad but i don't think you can notice it on the pics. camera's fault i guess.

8195735198_c9af371481.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered returning the iPad and exchanging it for another?

L

Lunar

Sounds like some form of backlight issue, fi it's really noticable and bothers you, all you can do is ask them to replace it.

I am a little surprised you have it set at full brightness, thats certainly going to affect battery life, I find max brightness is way too bright and unwatchable for comfort at least on my iPads anyway..lol don't think mines ever above 30% though it's only really used indoors.. no doubt it would have to be increased if outside.

But certainly if your screen has a non-uniform hue, like other screen issues such as screen light bleed there's little the user can do other than ask Apple to replace it, which they will do with out any issue at all... Apple are pretty good in that dept.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 4 has an even, warm screen. On low brightness, it has a warm tannish tint. On higher brightness, it's pure white, at least to my eyeballs.

I've checked it out for probs and don't see any yet. I cranked it to full brightness, tried to spot dead pixels, light bleed, etc., including taking it into a dark room. It seems fine. That's in comparison with my iPad 1 and 2, which both have slight light bleeds (which I can live with, because I don't crank to full brightness and watch in a dark room, ever).

OP
S

stickerhappy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like some form of backlight issue, fi it's really noticable and bothers you, all you can do is ask them to replace it.

I am a little surprised you have it set at full brightness, thats certainly going to affect battery life, I find max brightness is way too bright and unwatchable for comfort at least on my iPads anyway..lol don't think mines ever above 30% though it's only really used indoors.. no doubt it would have to be increased if outside.

But certainly if your screen has a non-uniform hue, like other screen issues such as screen light bleed there's little the user can do other than ask Apple to replace it, which they will do with out any issue at all... Apple are pretty good in that dept.
yes youre right my screen has a non-uniform hue. actually i think i can deal with it. not so sure. it's just that, considering it is a premium device i believe we should be getting what we are paying. i don't usually set it to full brightness 50-70 percent most of the time. only now cause i'm hoping the yellow screen fix would do the trick. btw, is there really such a yellow screen fix? where you leave the display on for hours with maximum brightness to moderately heat up the screen and from time to time it will gradually reduce yellow tint?

Last edited:
OP
S

stickerhappy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here's a sample shot of my ipad4 right next to my iphone with both set to its maximum brightness. again it is not that 100% visible in the pic. as you can see the iphone's screen is brighter, bluer than the ipad4(much brighter in actual). it is also slightly visible that on the top right corner of my ipad's screen the hue is bluish(normal hue?) while on the bottom left corner it's somewhat yellowish.
8195324775_4b501e8c29_n.jpg

Last edited:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems to be a few issues concerning screen on the iPad 4.........hope it's not a sign of things to come.
But, I suppose with Millions of these iPads sold we can expect a few units having issues.
My screen is perfect IMHO........no back-light bleed or uneven display.

I agree with above in that I can't see anyone using the iPad on anything even close to 100% brightness.
But if your unhappy I would defintely return it ASAP.......you paid good money and deserve premium product performance.

Good Luck...

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow I turned the brightness all the way up and I couldn't leave it that way, it made my eyes hurt lol...

L

Lunar

btw, is there really such a yellow screen fix? where you leave the display on for hours with maximum brightness to moderately heat up the screen and from time to time it will gradually reduce yellow tint?

Well I read that too.. but I am inclined to believe it would make no difference, certainly not in short term anyway. There will be slight minor change perhaps over a long period of time as the rear illumination ages, but it would be a really small change I suspect.

The last pic comparing your iPad to your phone does not look too bad to me, infact if anything, to my eyes your phone screen looks to have too much blue hue.

I returned my 1st iPad 3 a few days after receiving in March when they were first released, purely because it had one solitary dead pixel in the centre about 2 thirds down the screen. It took me 2 days before I spotted it, but once you know it's there and of course know where to then look, you seem to be looking for it all the time afterwards, plus I think it's because you know your beloved new iPad is not perfect, so it plays on your mind a wee bit...lol

Personally, I would say one would struggle to find any man made device thats absolutely 100% perfect, however for the kind of money we are paying for these devices we expect it to be pretty near perfect. Things like very minor light bleed at the side which are only visible in a dark room I just don't worry about, but if it's something that is noticable under normal viewing conditions then it obviously should be replaced.

The problem... like you are experiencing at the moment is trying to decide whether it warrants return and thats the difficult part, AIS it looks okay to me, but a small screen picture is awkward to tell if there is a issue that warrants it's replacement.
The fact you have noticed it yourself may be sufficient reason to pop it along to an Apple store (if possible) and compare with another, or for peace of mind simply return for another, though sometimes the replacement might have some issue of some sort...lol had that happen myself in the past. Only you can decide.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is apple good about taking them back when thinks like that happen? Amazon was amazing when my fire messed up after me having it for 10 months..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every generation iPad has had reports of screen probs among some users. Not surprising, considering the millions sold. If my screen bothered me, I'd take it back for another. I'd do it to satisfy myself, because no one else is looking at the screen but me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is apple good about taking them back when thinks like that happen? Amazon was amazing when my fire messed up after me having it for 10 months..

Apple is generally good about that kind of thing, especially with devices that have just come out.

Amazon is as well. When my Kindle e-ink reader froze after a firmware upgrade a few years ago, they sent me a new one, even though it was after the one-year warranty window.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yup, excellent.....
I got a full refund on my iPad 3 and AppleCare+ when I wanted to upgrade to the iPad 4.........no questions asked, they just did it.
I expect a credit of some kind but they actually refunded me in full.........this was at about the 3-week mark.

Apple sure seems to take care of the customer at least in my experience........that means a lot in today's world.

L

Lunar

Yes they are.. the purchaser has 2 weeks in which time he/she can return the item for a no quible refund, ie. you can just say you don't like it or give no reason at all and they will give you a full refund, the time period may even be longer in the USA but think it's 2 weeks in the UK (but it may be 4 weeks in UK too...can't remember...lol)

Re. Amazon.. yes I agree, their easy return policy is second to none, I've used it many times over the years and have always been pleased with Amazons customer service, infact I will often pay slightly more for something if it happens to be a little more expensive on Amazon which is rare as they are competive price wise, just so I know I can return it if need be, especially so with pricey items.

Most reactions

Latest posts