What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 4.2 beta 2 expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i All woke up this morning and my ipad screen had the connect to itunes screen. I'm running the 4.2 beta 2 and when I connected to itunes it said the software had expired. I'm downloading beta 3 now but I'm frightened i'm going to wipe my iPad with the new beta.

Will the new beta allow me to back up my current content before loading? Or will the new software install as normal. Only asking as I've never encountered expired beta software before.

Thanks

OP
P

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes I have a registered account fully paid up with my ipad registered! Downloading the new beta now.....?? will it be ok

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, that was ok.
The update went quickly and no data was lost.

You should always be careful with the Betas, they have an expiry date.
The same applies to Beta 3. As soon as the GM seed is out, you should update again.

checkyoulater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a follow question...i am linked through a friend's developer account, fortunately i'll be running into him in a few hours...on to my question...

when the final version hits, do i still need him around to update? I assume i should no longer need him around right?

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you don't need him then anymore.

But if you want the final version a few days before the mere mortals, you should be nice to him, as he can then supply you with the GM seed. ;-)

glodden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also a registered developer, and I installed 4.2 Beta 2 on my brothers iPad for him (so he'd get swedish keyboard on it). It expired today aswell and told him to connect to iTunes. I have the beta 3 downloaded, but when he plugged his iPad in to his windows machine on which he runs the iTunes account that is synced to his iPad - it will no longer recognize the device in iTunes.

Is there a way to install beta 3 for him, or will I need to get his iPad and try installing it on my mac instead? (Do I need to upgrade it on the exact same computer that did the beta 2 install?). Could it be that iTunes has put the device in recovery mode or something, and that's why it won't show up in iTunes in the left pane like it usually does? He's very new to Apple devices, so maybe I'm not getting all the relevant info.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does he have the latest version of iTunes? If he does not, have him update to the most current version and try updating his iOS again.

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had the same issue this morning, had to use power and home button to put iPad into restore mode so i can get it working again. restoring to 3.2.2 then gonna try and get back to beta 3 or beta 4 which i think came out... not sure yet. and, yes my udid is registered with a developer.

glodden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just came home, found my own iPad in the same state. So I plugged it in, and upgraded it to the beta 3 ..

After it finished updating, iTunes said "You need to update iTunes to use this iPad" .. So I did. After updating iTunes aswell, when I connect the iPad it just says "There is a problem with your iPad. We're sorry, the iPad you connected may be damaged and can not be activated for service".

I have not registered the UDID of the iPad with the developer account, since it didn't seem to require this for the beta 2 to install - so I don't know if that will change anything. Could this be the issue? That I have to add the device to the developer account so it will verify and activate the account? (Didn't need that to install beta 2 anyway). It's a company account, so I don't want to eat up our device slots if it's not necesarry.

Any tips?

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so i found out, beta 2 is expired beta 3 is available. guess i was on beta 2 gonna have to have a "talk" with my developer :mad:

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah i think you have to have your udid registered. itunes told you that you needed to update itunes?? interesting since the new itunes is still in beta also

glodden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It asked me to upgrade to iTunes 10.0.1.

Managed to downgrade to the current latest iOS 3 version (by doing regular restore + recboot to kick it out of restore mode). So now I have a working iPad again (but it feels kind of crippled after having run 4.2 for a couple of weeks). Will now add my UDID to the developer account, and will then then try installing 4.2 beta 3 again.

rmart73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes 10.0.1 is the latest public release. i managed to put 4.2beta3 on my ipad after beta2 expired today. beta3 is due to expire on nov 29th 2010 but the public release should be before that. its a good idea to always make sure iTunes is always updated, and always do a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions