What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3G support LTE

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad third-generation and I have only used it on Wi-Fi so far. I do not believe that it supports LTE, However i might be mistaken. I cannot really tell by reading the Apple specs. Does anyone know the third-generation iPad supports4G LTE? Or is it just 3G ?

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad third-generation and I have only used it on Wi-Fi so far. I do not believe that it supports LTE, However i might be mistaken. I cannot really tell by reading the Apple specs. Does anyone know the third-generation iPad supports4G LTE? Or is it just 3G ?

Yes it supports LTE, Im on it while typing this. Just gotta make sure LTE is available in your area.

Speeds are excellent with LTE, 30meg down 8meg up here in Detroit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to have the 4G/LTE version of the 3rd generation iPad for have support for cellular LTE service. I can't tell from your post what version of the device you have. If you use "3G" for third gen, then we can't tell if you are saying you have the 3G (as in cellular) or 4G/LTE or what. If you don't have the black colored RF window along the top of the back of your iPad, you do not have the 4G/LTE version, you have the wifi-only version. Its is easy to tell because the WIFI only version doesn't have the RF window. The cellular and GPS antennas are behind the RF window.

OP
G

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad is "3rd generation" Wifi and cellular model. My question is this, does my wifi-cellular 3rd generation ipad support LTE cellular 4G speeds ? I have the AT&T model a1430 ipad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad is "3rd generation" Wifi and cellular model. My question is this, does my wifi-cellular 3rd generation ipad support LTE cellular 4G speeds ? I have the AT&T model a1430 ipad.

I wrote:

You need to have the 4G/LTE version of the 3rd generation iPad for have support for cellular LTE service.

which means Yes, it does. As the other poster said, your area must have support for LTE too, in order for you to get it. Then you need to go to At&T and enable the service to use it. There should be a coverage map on the AT&T website.

OP
G

gsouth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason i why was asking if the 3rd generation supports LTE is because Apple is making a big deal about the ipad4 supporting LTE ( which would imply previous iPads do not support LTE).

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason i why was asking if the 3rd generation supports LTE is because Apple is making a big deal about the ipad4 supporting LTE ( which would imply previous iPads do not support LTE).

The 3rd generation iPad only supported LTE in US/Canada. The iPad 4th Generation supports more LTE bands that are used overseas which is why they're making a bigger deal about it (they did make a big deal about LTE on the 3rd generation iPad when it was released in March).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They actually got in trouble on the 3gen LTE because they made a big deal out of it and it didn't work in many places! They had to refunds some folks who were upset.

Most reactions

Latest posts