What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3G Data Service Explained before Friday's 3G iPad Launch

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to details posted last month by Apple on how 3G data service will be managed on Wi-Fi + 3G iPad models due for launch this Friday, AT&T has now published a fact sheet (PDF) offering additional information on iPad data service.

134658-att_ipad_reminders.jpg

AT&T notes that its "monthly" domestic service plans actually consist of 30-day cycles that will automatically renew unless the customer elects to cancel his or her contract-free service.

Customers who reach their data limit for a billing cycle can either wait until the end of the 30-day cycle when it automatically renews or change to an unlimited plan, which will begin a new 30-day cycle at that time.

You do not switch from a 250MB to Unlimited Data by only paying another $15 when your 250 MB runs out. If you opted to pay only another $15 you only start another 250MB data plan. If you blow through that in a couple of weeks you will have ended up spending $30 for only a half gigabyte of data when you could have had UNLIMITED for the same amount of money in a four week period.

Are you ready for the 3G iPad?
Safari1.jpg

AT&T 3G iPad fact sheet (PDF)

Did you find this information helpful?
Another tip from:

Last edited:

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep looking for the fine print (I'm paranoid). If you hit the 250mb limit does the 3G just stop sending/receiving or do they charge you an overage fee; like $1/MB?

Kcole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like it will just stop, and prompt you to upgrade. And, an upgrade starts a new 30 day period, so if you blow the 250 limit in the first two weeks, then upgrade, you'll get the unlimited for 30 days, not just the remaining time in your initial "month".

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep looking for the fine print (I'm paranoid). If you hit the 250mb limit does the 3G just stop sending/receiving or do they charge you an overage fee; like $1/MB?

AT&T 3G iPad fact sheet (PDF)
Please click on my link and download AT&T's PDF.
The short answer is the 250MB plan terminates and you get no more data from AT&T for the rest of the 30 day period.

You can start another 30 day 250 MB plan immediately or switch to starting an UNLIMITED 30 day plan which IMHO makes a lot more sense.

You must keep track of when each plan runs out if you do not plan to keep it so you can avoid a renewal fee for another 30 days.

YOU MUST OPT NOT TO RENEW. Sort of like those Book of the Month Clubs that count on you forgetting to drop out.

Does that make sense to you and answer your question?:)

Last edited:
OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like it will just stop, and prompt you to upgrade. And, an upgrade starts a new 30 day period, so if you blow the 250 limit in the first two weeks, then upgrade, you'll get the unlimited for 30 days, not just the remaining time in your initial "month".

Lets be perfectly clear. If you blow through 250MB data by the fifteenth and renew by paying $30 you have started a new 30 day cycle of UNLIMITED DATA that runs until the fifteenth of the next month.
This replaced your 250MB cycle.

If you renew for only another $15 you will start a new 250MB cycle which runs until the fifteenth of the following month and then it auto renews.

YOU MUST OPT OUT TO AVOID FUTURE CHARGES.:)

That was the point of starting this new thread - NO SURPRISES - NO PAIN.

Did you find this helpful?

Last edited:

JMK

iPF Noob
Reaction score

"The PDF goes on to say that you'll receive a total of three warnings when your approaching the end of your monthly 250MB allotment: one when you've got 20 percent of your 250MB allowance left, a second at 10 percent, and a third when you've run out.

"If you do hit the monthly limit, your service plan will simply expire, AT&T says; no need to worry about overage charges. Of course, that also means you won't be able to surf via AT&T's 3G network until you pony up for another monthly bucket of 250MB — either that, or $30 for the unlimited monthly plan."

AT&T fills in the blanks on iPad 3G service plans - Yahoo! News

JMK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is unlimited really unlimited or does it mean something like 1 GB?

They say it is really unlimited.

We shall see as I plan on putting this theory to the test beginning 04-30-10. ;)

JMK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P.S. If they are charging $30 a month for data, it should and better be unlimited.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlimited means unlimited

Is unlimited really unlimited or does it mean something like 1 GB?

This is the only plan AT&T has that means UNLIMITED DATA, no overage charges.

Your iPhone plan with AT&T can go over the 5GB limit and you will face additional charges. This is why tethering to an iPhone is a bad idea if AT&T wants to clamp down on data usage.

T-Mobile started offering UNLIMITED 3G data today but I am not clear how you can qualify for it.
My guess this move was to take on AT&T's iPad plan. I think TMOs's plan is a contract.

SPRINT offers UNLIMITED 4G data but their 4G modem can and does fall back to 3G. Sprint customers have gotten some horrific data bills when they thought they were good for unlimited 4G data. It is in the fine print with Sprint.

Sprint's plan is a two year contract with ETF.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as it goes, it is suppose to be unlimited, but if that gets abused, I am sure they will amend the rules. As far as the choices of services, it depends on the indiviual which is needed, If you have good service and use it a lot, you want the unlimited. If your use is sporatic, it may pay to try the 250mb. And be aware that there is a counter on your iPad that keeps track of the usage, so you would not be left being cut off unexpectedly.

OP

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as it goes, it is suppose to be unlimited, but if that gets abused, I am sure they will amend the rules. As far as the choices of services, it depends on the indiviual which is needed, If you have good service and use it a lot, you want the unlimited. If your use is sporatic, it may pay to try the 250mb. And be aware that there is a counter on your iPad that keeps track of the usage, so you would not be left being cut off unexpectedly.

Good thinking. If you plan to stream video the UNLIMITED 3G is the way to go. Casual surfing and email should be fine with $15.

Remember you do not have to subscribe to any
3G data if you do not need any or want any,

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My plan is to get the unlimited for a couple of months and use the Ipad normally. At that point I will see if I can get away with the $15 plan.

Most reactions

Latest posts