What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3 latency and other questions...

grumps333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys i`m a proffesional solo singer/guitarist.I want to replace my guitar effects unit and laptop/ minidisk player (that i use for backing tracks)
with just my ipad 3. What apps are other members using ie amplitude or stompbox for instance...Can you load and play backing tracks as well..?
I tried using Guitarig on my laptop but was very dissapointed with the latency. I`ve been looking at the apogee jam interface. Before i part
with my hard earned cash what do other members use or recommend. If latency is a problem, as i wil be playing live, i`ll give it a miss and
stick with what i`ve got...Many thanx in advance.

ZenLizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, the apogee – excellent little device. What I love most about it is the reduction in hiss and 60 cycle hum when compared to any of the headphone jack interfaces, which is only an issue if you play with distortion, but the difference is HUGE. The only drawback is that it uses the same port as the charging cable, so you have to be sure you have enough charge for the length of your set. Second, latency. On an iPad 2, using JamUp XT, there is little to no discernible latency even with very heavy use of effects. I was very disappointed with the sound of GuitarRig with my equipment, and I did notice an annoying amount of latency, but others seem to love it. As a side note, always make sure that all other apps are killed and not just "closed" by pressing the start button when you use an iDevice with amp/effects apps. Anything running in the background can reduce performance. Hope that helps.

Most reactions