What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 for a Photographer

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is an open letter to Apple with regards to the next iPad from a photography stand point. With the official Camera Connection Kit, Apple must be keen to embrace the iPad for photography in some respects.
After using this kit, editing software and speaking to a couple of photo app developers, I have 2 requests to Apple.

1. Give us 1GB of RAM. Large RAW support and also layer support in editing apps is hindered by the relatively small 512MB of RAM in the current model. While IOS in general runs well with this amount of memory, certain apps are screaming out for more RAM which will make the iPad a more versatile tool for the mobile user.

2. Give us a better quality screen in the iPad 3. While a resolution increase would be welcome, I'm thinking more about the yellower screen of the iPad 2. Since I switched to using the iPad 2, I have adapted to the screen colour balance and in general it is not an issue however after editing a series of images over the weekend exclusively on the iPad 2 and then reviewing them on a couple of other PCs, what initially appeared as pleasingly warm images on the iPad 2 are showing very much a cold, bluer tint on other screens. While I am now aware of this and can adjust the initial edits to get relatively accurate edits, I feel this is the one area where the iPad 2 screen is unacceptable.

Please Apple, continue the promise you have shown with the iPad 1 and the Camera Connection Kit and flesh this out to a more mature offering. I'm not asking for built in memory card slots or even screen calibration - I'm sure this issue stems from yellower LEDs. Just improve things enough to realise the potential. Things as they stand feel a little half baked!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a comment, I have an iPad with a beautiful bright screen, when I got my husband's I noticed that his screen seemed yellow. We returned it and the second one is the same, so it seems to be an issue that some screens are yellow than others. Mine is really bright and clear.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a comment, I have an iPad with a beautiful bright screen, when I got my husband's I noticed that his screen seemed yellow. We returned it and the second one is the same, so it seems to be an issue that some screens are yellow than others. Mine is really bright and clear.

I have yet to see an ipad 2 that doesn't have a faint yellow tint. It doesn't bother me in day to day use although this is the first time I have seen it as an issue.
Are both your iPad's version 2?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is an open letter to Apple with regards to the next iPad from a photography stand point. With the official Camera Connection Kit, Apple must be keen to embrace the iPad for photography in some respects.
After using this kit, editing software and speaking to a couple of photo app developers, I have 2 requests to Apple.

1. Give us 1GB of RAM. Large RAW support and also layer support in editing apps is hindered by the relatively small 512MB of RAM in the current model. While IOS in general runs well with this amount of memory, certain apps are screaming out for more RAM which will make the iPad a more versatile tool for the mobile user.

2. Give us a better quality screen in the iPad 3. While a resolution increase would be welcome, I'm thinking more about the yellower screen of the iPad 2. Since I switched to using the iPad 2, I have adapted to the screen colour balance and in general it is not an issue however after editing a series of images over the weekend exclusively on the iPad 2 and then reviewing them on a couple of other PCs, what initially appeared as pleasingly warm images on the iPad 2 are showing very much a cold, bluer tint on other screens. While I am now aware of this and can adjust the initial edits to get relatively accurate edits, I feel this is the one area where the iPad 2 screen is unacceptable.

Please Apple, continue the promise you have shown with the iPad 1 and the Camera Connection Kit and flesh this out to a more mature offering. I'm not asking for built in memory card slots or even screen calibration - I'm sure this issue stems from yellower LEDs. Just improve things enough to realise the potential. Things as they stand feel a little half baked!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

You do realize we are not affiliated with Apple in any way right? Except they made the iPad ~ You may be better off posting this on the Apple discussion boards.:)

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You do realize we are not affiliated with Apple in any way right? Except they made the iPad ~ You may be better off posting this on the Apple discussion boards.:)

Yip, I sure do. :cool: Just posting up my thoughts so others can contribute. I have already posted this same message up on the official discussion boards as well.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To Donka. Yes both our iPads are second version. Mine is 64gb wifi with Verizon. I purchased it on line through apple. I purchased my husband's at local apple store. Hs is 32 gb wifi only. There is a huge difference in the display. Mine is bright and clear and his has a very yellow tint. We returned the first one and the second one was exactly the same. I posted to this board when i noticed the difference and people said that it was common to have a yellow tint and that some people liked it better for reading at night, but I much prefer the 'whiteness' of my screen.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. To be honest, I do prefer the yellow tinted screen for reading at night, it goes dimmer and my iPad 1 seems too bright now in comparison at the lowest level. The photography side of things though is ine area where the whiter screen would be a real asset.

Reaction score
To Donka. Yes both our iPads are second version. Mine is 64gb wifi with Verizon. I purchased it on line through apple. I purchased my husband's at local apple store. Hs is 32 gb wifi only. There is a huge difference in the display. Mine is bright and clear and his has a very yellow tint. We returned the first one and the second one was exactly the same. I posted to this board when i noticed the difference and people said that it was common to have a yellow tint and that some people liked it better for reading at night, but I much prefer the 'whiteness' of my screen.

I thought the yellow was a glue not quite dry issue that got better in time.
Am I not correct?

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Am I not correct?

REALLY????? That sounds strange. Can anyone confirm?

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Am I not correct?

That is a different issue where there were blotches of yellow under the screen which disappeared through time as the glue bonding the layers of screen together dried out and evaporated.

This issue relates to a yellow colour balance in the LEDs used for backlighting. It gives a yellow, uniform tint across the entire screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts