What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 3 dual-core or quad core?

smanuola

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been hearing a lot about the ipad 3 processor and I am curious about it's going to be a dual-core with a faster cpu, a quad-core with the same cpu, or quad-core with a faster cpu?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest intel is that it will be dual core. It will be the A6 processor which means a lot faster. Apple has a tendency to maximize their software to make slower clock speed processors work more efficient. You get the feel of more power and RAM without the battery penalty.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i would be happy if it was a dual core A6 processor this would keep the cost down. i just hope they put more ram in it like 1 gig

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i would be happy if it was a dual core A6 processor this would keep the cost down. i just hope they put more ram in it like 1 gig

This sounds like very good combination - Dual core & 1 GB RAM. I hope we will see something like this.

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really hope the iPad 3 will be quad-core. Seriously, the Android tablets will all have quad-core processors soon (looking at you, Asus Transformer Prime). If the iPad 3 doesn't have one, it'll be completely outclassed throughout the entire year of 2012 except for the screen, which will only be slightly better than the plastic Asus Transformer Prime.

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the processor will be quad-core though because of the pictures from iBoot. Those "sources" that say that the iPad 3 will be dual-core are anonymous. We don't know who they are nor how reputable they are. For all we know they could come from the old man across the street or, worse, an Android fanboy.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The cpu may remain as dual core but the gpu may be extended to quad core

OP
S

smanuola

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am hoping the iPad 3 will be quad-core but that would mean the iPhone 5 is going to quad-core because they will both get the A6 processor... and I personally think smartphone makers (including Apple) should focus on battery life... so with that in mind do you think they should do.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am hoping the iPad 3 will be quad-core but that would mean the iPhone 5 is going to quad-core because they will both get the A6 processor... and I personally think smartphone makers (including Apple) should focus on battery life... so with that in mind do you think they should do.

This is the reason why we will probably see dual-core on iPad 3. Battery life is one of priorities that Apple wants to keep for iPad. 50% more powerful dual core processor & 1 Gb or RAM sounds good to me.

OP
S

smanuola

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure Apple could have really good battery life even with a quad-core processor... it's the iPhone that I am worried about

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure Apple could have really good battery life even with a quad-core processor... it's the iPhone that I am worried about

Lets hope they will put quad-core! You are right about iPhone concern.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad does not necessarily need a quad core to be fast. Apple has done some really wicked things with iOS to make it work at quad core speeds while keeping power use low.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad does not necessarily need a quad core to be fast. Apple has done some really wicked things with iOS to make it work at quad core speeds while keeping power use low.

Maybe you are right, modified iOS with enhanced dual core can give good results! But that is very tricky & I hope that Apple made great job, because that rumored Retina display requires very powerful hardware (imagine 3D game for iPad 3 in full resolution)

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quad-core processors are even more battry efficient than dual-core. Just look at the Asus Transformer Prime. If anything, Apple is even more inclined to make it quad-core.

Most reactions