What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 charged so long

rockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new ipad 3 charged so long compared to ipad 2. After 10h hours continued use u charge it more than a quarter of a day. LOL

OP
R

rockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will that not overcharge the ipad? They say you need to add another extra hour or two when the battery indicator says 100%

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will that not overcharge the ipad? They say you need to add another extra hour or two when the battery indicator says 100%

No. The iPad does not overcharge. And you don't need to keep charging an extra hour or tow after it says 100%. That report was dead wrong and has been debunked by Apple. The iPad is designed so that you can leave it on the charger indefinitely, if you want.

OP
R

rockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh good to hear that. Thanks for the info!

OP
R

rockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leaving it charged indefinitely might lessen battery life capacity in long term due to heat it produces especially when using the iPad while charging. Though lithium batteries have a protective circuitry to cut off current heat is its arch enemy.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plug mine in when I go to bed at night, around 9:30-10. I unplug when I get up, between 6-7 AM. I use it intermittently throughout the day, and always have some charge left when I plug it in again.

L

Lunar

No. The iPad does not overcharge. And you don't need to keep charging an extra hour or tow after it says 100%. That report was dead wrong and has been debunked by Apple. The iPad is designed so that you can leave it on the charger indefinitely, if you want.

I agree.. the iPad won't let you overcharge it, when it gets to a certain point it cuts off, I also doubt that adding a extra 1 or 2 hours beyond the point where it reaches 100% is actually putting much if anything into the battery, so completely safe.

EDIT: Having now had it for a few months, and having done a few full charges, it's settled down nicely.. After a full charge it will take 30mins of use before dropping from the 100% mark, battery life is good with an average of 11 to 12 hrs, so no complaints at all here after 3mths use... it's looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:

pltan75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd my new ipad takes ages to taper from 100%. Easily 15 to 20 mins browsing on wifi.

On2wheels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you all find that the battery lasts longer if the pad is off when charging? I haven't got my new ipad3 delivered yet, but any device I've owned has lasted a very long time by only charging when powered down.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree.. the iPad won't let you overcharge it, when it gets to a certain point it cuts off, I also doubt that adding a extra 1 or 2 hours beyond the point where it reaches 100% is actually putting anything into the battery. However I have noticed that when fully charged to 100%, it does seem to fall from that 100% very quickly indeed, on mine after just 2 or 3 mins use it will show 99%, whereas my older iPad stays at the 100% mark much longer... though in fairness, I should add it will only have fallen to around 94/95% after 1 hours continual use.

Someone smarter than me explained that the battery gets drained down a bit ever so often while in the charging process and then re-charged. Someone else smarter than me said that if you don't run the battery down ever so often the ios incorrectly reports the percentage. It could be one or both of the above happening.

Actually that might have been the same person. He was a real battery guru.

taddle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
England, United Kingdom, the Northern Hemisphere,
As with any device the battery meter in the corner is not accurate, and if you do not care for your battery by keeping it in good temp etc you will damage it. My advice for you is just don't do anything stupid. If you really think there's something wrong, the super friendly genius bar at the Apple store will sort it.

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Takes longer to charge because

It is lots bigger than that in the previous versions of iPad. Same charging rate and time regardless if turned off or left on.

BMWrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On2wheels said:
So how long would you say it takes to get a full charge?

I have read in other threads that the battery is not fully charged when it first indicates 100% and you should let it charge for an additional hour.
Charging with the iPad off will let it charge faster, but I doubt that it will extend the use time.

Most reactions