What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 cases are they that much different to the iPad 2 cases?

Archer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have all my bits for the iPad 2 and considered upgrading to the iPad 3 for the better screen.
I am a bit reluctant if I have to go out and buy all replacement bits - cases - charging stations and so on.
iPad 3 cases are they that much different to the iPad 2 cases?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From my experience (and I have all the iPads!) all my iPad2 cases fit the iPad3 (I have 3).

The 3 is 0.8mm thicker. In theory a case made specifically for the iPad3 should support that thickness by design, but I have so far found that all the iPad2 cases are OK. The only exceptions seem to be the very tight fitting rigid plastic cases which folks have said can be a little "tight" around the corners on a 3 (due to the extra thickness).

The other problem which has been reported are on cases which use the "smartcover magnet" feature to turn the device on and off automatically. Apple have changed the polarity of the magnet in the iPad3. This means that on old cases, it is a 50/50 chance whether the magnet was inserted the right way round to suit the new iPad. I am lucky. I have an old smartcover which works on my 3. But folks have reported that lots of old cases don't have the magnets the right way. Apple have obviously adjusted their manufacturing process (a while ago) because any recently manufactured smartcovers work perfectly on both devices.

In summary, you should be OK, unless its an old smartcover in which case its a 50/50 chance!

Hope that helps!.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 SC also works on the 3 but when I carry it around sometimes I hear the ipad coming off and on when the cover shifts.

Most reactions

Latest posts