What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 already?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the iPad but this is a little immoral I think. Some people have only bought their ipad 2s recently and already their gadgetis going to feel a little out of date by next Spring and some of these people will no doubt be upgrading. I hope for their sake (and mine) the Ipad 2 will still have some good resale value. The iPad has agreat design and build quality anda brilliant on screen typing interface (I can type 10 words a minute more on the iP compared to Samsung tab
because its easier to touch type on the iPad an also offers better predictive texting),however, I just feel the iPad is geared to constanly part you with your cash as its very app driven and quite restrictive (e.g. flash). The Samsung tab much better replicates the feel of a desktop computer.

I suppose the main positive of iPad 3 if rumors are well foundedwill be that it may be quad core and use a retina screen and supposedly offer 4 times ipad 2's resolution, assuming the official pricewillbe around the £400 mark.

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^Agreed. And you'd have to be crazy to think there isn't a better model in the pipeline with any technology-based purchase. If you keep waiting for the new model, you'll never buy - trust me, I've got friends that do this. They wait for the next model, then they way for it to go down a bit, and suddenly they're waiting for the next new model as the rumors of improvements start.

A wiser course of action, imo, would be to buy based on iOS upgrades. If you've got an iPad 1, now's the time to move to an iPad 2 with iOS5. If you've got an iPad 2, you should upgrade your iPad to a 3 when iOS6 debuts, and so on.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is about the only manufacturer that both makes scheduled upgrades, and makes news when it upgrades. It looks like Apple may be making a move to do the iPad like they do the iPhone. There is talk of a bargain priced iPad being added to the lineup. I would expect that they would keep the base iPad 2 at a lot lower price of $399.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use he standard technique of only upgrading to each alternate model (iPad 1 to iPad3 or iPad 2 to iPad 4, etc) that way you will get a couple of years use out of each product but you won't fall excessively far behind technology wise.
As far as I'm concerned the day the iPad 3 is announced my iPad 2 will still work exactly the same as it did the day before so I won't have any NEED to go and replace it just to satisfy the Apple shareholders lust for a good return on their shares.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, hell, yeah, I've got an iPad 1 but I'm not grousing! It's still my prized possession and I envied everyone buying the iPad 2 but to be quite honest, I played on one and apart from the speed and camera, I didn't notice anything spectacular. I'll look at the iPad 3 and decide then.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I've been gushing at an iPad 2, but only have the iPad 1. Bought the 1 the first day it came out. I should have waited for the 3G version, but was too impatient. Been trying to hold off for the 3. Only time will tell if I have the discipline to wait until spring. The problem is knowing if spring is when the 3 will come out and if it is worth the wait.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd wait, our iPad 1's are just as good as iPad 2's. Have patience. Otherwise we will be having this discussion when ipad3 is outstanding and you are holding the ipad2.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If people had done their research they would have found out that historically Apple releases their iPad in the March/April time frame and iPhone in the June/July (except for the 4S) time frame. It's thier fault they took so long to get the device or didn't wait until the next release. Like another member posted, skip generations, that's what I typically do.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the iPad but this is a little immoral I think. Some people have only bought their ipad 2s recently and already their gadgetis going to feel a little out of date by next Spring and some of these people will no doubt be upgrading. I hope for their sake (and mine) the Ipad 2 will still have some good resale value. The iPad has agreat design and build quality anda brilliant on screen typing interface (I can type 10 words a minute more on the iP compared to Samsung tab
because its easier to touch type on the iPad an also offers better predictive texting),however, I just feel the iPad is geared to constanly part you with your cash as its very app driven and quite restrictive (e.g. flash). The Samsung tab much better replicates the feel of a desktop computer.

I suppose the main positive of iPad 3 if rumors are well foundedwill be that it may be quad core and use a retina screen and supposedly offer 4 times ipad 2's resolution, assuming the official pricewillbe around the £400 mark.

I have no interest in a tablet that replicates the feel of a desktop PC.

I like my iPads a lot, but I don't think they're a good fit for everyone. And if I thought something were immoral and too restrictive, I sure wouldn't pay good money for it, because that would defy common sense.

As for upgrades: As long as a device meets your needs, it's not outdated.

As for companies wanting to part us from our cash: That's what every business wants. Some are just better at it than others.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's immoral about it? New cars come out very year yet most people aren't compelled to upgrade.
The same is true with technology. And if you do feel the need to upgrade with every new device release, that's a choice you make.

AA

I agree with you. But I also agree with the poster who suggests that you upgrade, or seriously think about upgrading, when a new OS is released, since this may affect the usability of the device you have in hand.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
singlestick said:
I agree with you. But I also agree with the poster who suggests that you upgrade, or seriously think about upgrading, when a new OS is released, since this may affect the usability of the device you have in hand.

Being new to iDevices, (recovering Crackberry addict ) I guess that's a lesson I've yet to learn. But technically when a new OS is released, doesn't the OS that came with your device still function? So you're not losing functionality you're just not gaining?

FYI I don't have the courage to put iOS5
on my iPad2 after almost bricking my iPhone 4 while installing the upgrade.

AA

PeterFrand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why you said iPad 3 already,You can sure the Exact time of the ipad 3.I think we all know that,maybe Include of the Apple Inc.

Most reactions

Latest posts