What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 a big let down plus iPad 4 wish list

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As most of you know, iPad 3 was a big let down with very minor upgrades that are often not noticeable against the iPad 2. You can tell people doing comparison videos on YouTube are not enthused about it. I have seen speed tests, for example, where web pages take the same time to load as the iPad 2. Other speed tests have also about the same. A better screen maybe, but again, most people can't really tell the difference when viewing video. The only difference is really better photo clarity.

I have been so disappointed that I couldnt be bothered to sell my iPad 2. I am simply not enthused about the new iPad. Having said that, whatever Apple comes out with will no doubt get a loads of people flocking to the stores to buy it.
Anyway, here is a wish list for iPad 4.

* fast processor where you can actually tell the difference
* higher resolution screen
* better battery life, although the current battery life is very good
* lighter than iPad 2 - would like to see it come down to 1 pound
* thinner or that's at least the same thickness as iPad 2
* maybe new design, although actual in-device performance enhancements will suffice

Last edited:

Dave2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1. The new iPad does seem faster (I did a direct comparison downloading web pages on two iPads at the same time) and that could tip me towards buying one, though I could just skip yet another model. Re the display, there really is a difference, and your comment about having a higher res display for iPad 4 really doesn't make much sense. The new iPad is already up to HD and could be at the limit of what most of us can really see resolution wise. There are a couple of things about the display of the new iPad. Some people can't see the difference. They probably should see an optician or get a new prescription. Some people have eyesight problems and can find the new iPad display gives a vey significant improvement for them.

The only issue I've noted so far relates to 4G, which may not work well in the UK yet, apparently due to infrastructure rollout probroblems. I don't know whether there would/could be improvements in mobile communications during the next year which would impact on the next model and on use within the UK.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i'd not say it was a huge let down, but heck, where exactly can it go? as for your points (most of which wont happen by next year i can assure you) -

* processors will always get noticably faster and faster. that's the bases of all electronic upgrades. it's inevetable. if and when you see this is the question.
* better? isnt the retina display high enough?
* yup. again, this will evolve over time
* i too would like to see an uber light ipad. something half it's current weight would be nice. how this is achived i do not know, but it will be in the future im sure.
* the difference between ipad 2 and 3 thickness really isnt noticable. it really isnt. not enough to complain about. and yes, no doubt all thicknesses will dramatically reduce.

i love my ipad2 and did not purchase the new ipad because i too felt the upgrades didnt suit me, but hey, i certainly wasnt pissed about them.

but we're living in the current and the ipad is cutting edge of our time. look at it this way, in 10 years from now the ipad range as we currently know it will be soooooooo outdated and antiquated we'll look back and laugh. and the then current range of the time will be awesome. altho peeps will still not be happy ;)

Last edited:

xGary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the things you want are technological advancements and unless you can find a way to defy physics, those things aren't gonna happen in a heartbeat. Sorry to say but the things you want are pretty stupid. Everyone wants the fastest and the lightest with the best screen and longest battery life. I'm sure if they could do all those things while keeping the iPad afforadable they would've done it already. If you wanted something like better Siri integration or OS improvements that will be possible but don't expect them making something with the best of everything.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are quite a few people plenty happy with their current pads. I'm one of them. That doesn't mean the latest device isn't worth it though. The screen and the 4G are probably the two biggest items that should be considered when shopping. The better still camera is also nice but I don't think many people use iPads for photography so that's a secondary benefit. Processor speed and all that will end up being a subjective upgrade. I always felt the iPad 2 was plenty quick enough. All of my games run smoothly, the apps load quickly, no ill effects to report about performance. The battery lasts a good long time too.

Each person will have to weigh it all out and go from there.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As most of you know, iPad 3 was a big let down with very minor upgrades that are often not noticeable against the iPad 2. You can tell people doing comparison videos on YouTube are not enthused about it. I have seen speed tests, for example, where web pages take the same time to load as the iPad 2. Other speed tests have also about the same. A better screen maybe, but again, most people can't really tell the difference when viewing video. The only difference is really better photo clarity.

I have been so disappointed that I couldnt be bothered to sell my iPad 2. I am simply not enthused about the new iPad. Having said that, whatever Apple comes out with will no doubt get a loads of people flocking to the stores to buy it.

* maybe new design, although actual in-device performance enhancements will suffice

Say hello to physics, bro. Just because we want all these features doesn't mean technology can provide them at prices people can afford. I assure you that Apple would rather offer all of this, but what is the cost? Can you get lighter and longer battery life with a high res screen too?

And when people compare loading webpages...so many different things impact this. You never can really say much about anything brought down over the web. Not really a fair way to judge anything, even though a lot of people seem to be doing it.

And what exactly do you need extra speed for? Or it is just about knowing it is faster? Not much that I do on my iPad is slow, so I don't see speed as a real issue to be addressed. If I were solving a large system of equations that takes hours, then yeah, I'd want a lot of speed. But I have desktops and clusters that do that kind of thing much, much better.

The screen is a big plus when viewing text heavy material that is formatted for 8.5 by 11-inch pages. Videos aren't going to show well on a 10-inch screen unless you are closer than a foot away...so there isn't much to improve here. Still photos are greatly enhanced on this new device.

The addition of LTE is a big plus, if you can afford that and live where it is available.

I really do wish Apple had offered a 128GB option, though. That would be useful.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It'd be great if Apple could manage tech advances to extend battery life and lighten weight at the same time. That would be magical, lol.

Otherwise, I'd like more storage.

I didn't find the new iPad worth upgrading from my iPads 1 and 2, but I'd happily buy a 7" or 8" iPad, and an iPhone with a bigger screen.

It will be interesting to see whether the next iPhone comes with significant new features, because some features (like retina screen, 5MP camera and Bluetooth 4.0) appeared first in iPhone 4 or 4S and then made their ways to iPad.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1 fast processor where you can actually tell the difference
2 higher resolution screen
3 better battery life, although the current battery life is very good
4 lighter than iPad 2 - would like to see it come down to 1 pound
5 thinner or that's at least the same thickness as iPad 2
6 maybe new design, although actual in-device performance enhancements will suffice

I don't understand your wishlist.

1 - Faster processor would be welcome, but if your only reason is so you can tell the difference, that is completely stupid. It does everything quickly.
2 - Higher resolution screen? Really? Are you completely ignorant? You said people can't even tell the difference now, so why would a higher resolution matter? Why would you possibly need higher resolution?
3 - What in the world will satisfy you? The battery is already amazing. Although it is pretty safe to assume it will increase
4 - One pound would be nice, but I can pretty much guarantee you there is no way they will be able to keep everything, bump the specs, decrease thickness AND shave 30% of the weight off.
5 - Really? Less than 1mm difference is a problem to you? That's pretty sad.
6 - New design? What is the point? The thing is all screen, how could there be a noticeable design change, and why would that matter?

I can see being disappointed with the iPad, but your wishlist for the next one doesn't really make sense.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Please list ONE application that requires a faster CPU clock speed.

Please list ONE application that requires a higher screen resolution?

Better battery life isn't possible with today's current technology or for that matter the next six month.

Lighter iPad isn't possible with today's current technology or for that matter the next six month.

Thinner isn't possible unless you want to GIVE UP battery life.

New design? Why would you want to change something that actually works?

My advice, go play with an Android tablet for a few months and then come back to discuss this.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saying that the new iPad was a disappointment is being silly or unrealistic. The vast majority of the 3 million buyers are happy with it. Get happy with the screen, because it will be in next year's model. It will be the choice of screens until something better is proven to be reliable. Apple would love to see IGZO displays or equivalent meet their standards. That is what it will take to meet any of your requirements. This belongs in the iPad 3 section, or a fantasy world. Moved

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wish would be to do away with 16gb. The new models should be 32gb 64gb 128gb

Sent from my iPad 3

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My advice, go play with an Android tablet for a few months and then come back to discuss this.

If you do, either get the Samsung or the Asus (not the current Prime). If you don't get top end, you definitely are getting a PIG.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wish would be to do away with 16gb. The new models should be 32gb 64gb 128gb

Agreed. I guess they felt the larger size would be for next year. But zillions of people claim that 16GB is plenty. I am not among them.

Most reactions

Latest posts