What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 won't accept my gmail un and pw

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a very nice Ipad 2 and it all seems to work well---I can use Safari and then gmail but want to be able to use gmail from the 'mail' icon on the home screen. When I set up the account, the Ipad tells me the un and pw are not correct when I know they are----Any ideas?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got this from Google's website. Could be worth trying out.

Invalid Password Prompt. If you see an error message that reads "Invalid Password", it's likely that you'll need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Visit the appropriate link below and fill in your email address, password, and the letters in the CAPTCHA box:
General users and Google Apps customers: https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha
Google Apps customers not yet on the new infrastructure: https://www.google.com/a/your_domain.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha. Be sure to replace your_domain.com with your actual domain name.

OP
J

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I tried it but still get "either your pw or em is incorrect". Oh well, I can still access gmail via Safari but I'd like to use the mail icon. You can't always get what you want as Mick Jagger sings :)

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like your attitude toward the problem but we can get this working for you. Are you entering in your info via settings-mail, calendars, contacts-then gmail or are are you trying it through exchange? Also, like KevinJS said, you may want to check some of your settings though gmail. You also might try just rebooting your iPad.

OP
J

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I tried it but still get "either your pw or me is incorrect". Oh well, I can still access gmail via Safari but I'd like to use the mail icon. You can't always get what you want as Mick Jagger sings :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jim...sorry to give you another link to add to what Kevin has given you, but here is Google's setup for iOS.

Maybe this may help you. Also, have you tried to Force the mail app to close? Or have you tried to restart the iPad? Have you tried to delete the account and enter it again? Let us know.

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

Last edited:
OP
J

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I did try putting it in via both Gmail via mail and then Exchange and no luck.

I did look at settings but couldn't see what to change. Any help apprdciTed!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you go to iPad settings/mail, contacts, calendar/go to your gmail account. There you should be able to delete your account. Once done, try to put is back in and see if it will accept.

OP
J

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try it again but have already tried deleting and redoing.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could try going to the desktop version of Gmail on your computer, go to settings (the gear symbol) and go to POP/IMAP. Make sure IMAP is enabled and save. Then try setting it up on your iPad. Racking brains here.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weird for sure----I did enable imap which was disabled---still get the message 'the un or pw for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jimlittle said:
Weird for sure----I did enable imap which was disabled---still get the message 'the un or pw for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect.

Is the iPad automatically capitalizing the first letter of your user name? Now clutching at straws.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jemaca77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem at the apple store when I bought my iPad. No one could figure it out. I came home and the next day it set up fine, except none of my contacts came over

OP
J

jimlittle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the Ipad does capitalize--it seems fine--

It may be that I have a 2 step verification process for my regular gmail pw----perhaps getting one just for the Ipad is the way to go?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts