What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 with Slingplayer Mobile

ashowstack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been using Slingplayer Mobile on my IPhones since the App came out. I'm currently using it on the IPhone 4. It's never been a perfect situation, as I often have trouble changing channels and the picture tends to freeze every so often. Has anyone used it with the IPad 2? And if so, was there much of a difference in quality and speed with it compared to the Iphone other than the obvious screen size? Or even compared to using it with the IPad 1? Also, do you need to purchase the App again for the IPad if you'd already purchased the App for the IPhone? Thanks in advance for whatever information you can provide.

- Arlen

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using it with iPad 2 and really like it a lot. It's a bit pricey at $29, but I travel a lot and for me it's def worth it. The controls are much better than the iPhone app and the video quality is far superior. The key is you need a good internet or 3G connection in order to stream in HD. If you don't, it will freeze a lot. I just got back from a vacation to Florida and used it the entire week. I actually used it on 3G instead of WiFi b/c the WiFi connection at the hotel was actually slower than my 3G connection. I had virtually no freezes and the PQ was amazing. In contrast, I've also used it on my commute and there the 3G connection is not as great and in HQ it does freeze a bit. Finally, when I use it at home I get virtually no freezing via WiFi.

OP
A

ashowstack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks RMSko!

Just curious if you had an IPad 1 and used it with it? and if so, the speed difference?

Also, if you purchased the Slingplayer App for your IPhone, do you still need to purchase it again for your IPad 2?

Thanks,

- Arlen

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had it on iPad 1 and iPad 2, but I don't notice any speed difference for this app between the two iPads. Also, you do have to buy the iPad app even if you already own the iPhone app as they are 2 different applications and Sling requires that you purchase each one separately.

OP
A

ashowstack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RMSko said:
I had it on iPad 1 and iPad 2, but I don't notice any speed difference for this app between the two iPads. Also, you do have to buy the iPad app even if you already own the iPhone app as they are 2 different applications and Sling requires that you purchase each one separately.

I was hoping that I wouldn't need to purchase it again, but what can you do. I never had the IPad 1, so I wouldn't have noticed a difference in speed. I was just curious.

Thanks again,

Arlen

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stefx said:
It works as great on my iPad2 than it did on my iPad1

Better on IPad 2? Or the same as IPad 1?

1-The display resolution is the same on both iPads

2-The picture quality is limited by the 3G bandwidth.

3-Same compression codec is used.

Consequently, yes it's the same, and there is no technical justification to expect that it would be better on the iPad2 because of points #1, #2 and #3.

To get a better picture quality, you'd need a higher data transmission speed.

Last edited:

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had it for my Touch and installed the same version on my Ipad and it works fine. Just not as high res but works.

Most reactions

Latest posts