What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Wifi antenna flex replaced - Have issues

cy2u5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

finally I am also an iPad 2 owner and proud to be a member of this great forum!

My story:

I bought an iPad 2 Wifi with a broken Digitizer, the pre-owner tried to replace the digitizer and he had touch reaction issues after the job. So opened te iPad and fixed the problem (it was the connector of the digitizer).
I also detected that the Wifi antenna was faulty by disassembling the iPad from the pre-owner.

I ordered a new one and replaced the antenna. My actual problem is, that my iPad gots a weak Wifi signal. I only get 1 or 2 bars when I am sitting in the living room and often the connection goes away. My router is about 20 meters away. My iPhone 4 has a great signal receivement.

I didn't glued the digitizer and fixed it temporary with a small amount of double sided adhesive. Because I want to open the iPad later again (I broke the glass unfortunately) I left the protection film on the Wifi antenna that sits on top of it between antenna and digitizer. I don't want to break it again by reopening the iPad.

Do you think this is the reason of the weak signal? On the top of the Wifi antenna there is a round copper area.
Is it important that it has contact with the digitizer? Because of the not removed protection film above the antenna it has no contact to the digitizer.

It is so weird and annoying.

What is your experience with Wifi antennas? Are there quality differences between them?

I hope you can help me fixing my issue and looking forward for your comments.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
cy2u5

spydrev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I replaced my digitizer and accidentally cut the copper flange that attached the wifi antenna to the ipad body. I figured once i had the digitizer back in place it would not be a big deal. However, I experience the same issue as you. Oddly, if I put the ipad into airplane mode and then tun on just WiFi, the problem goes away. (Essentially, I have WiFi on and the 3G/cellular modem off). Give it a try.

Most reactions

Latest posts