What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 was dropped but I'm getting a free replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzy285

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I dropped my iPad 2 yesterday I broke my volume button and left a real nasty dent , to make a long story short there gonna replace for free it's called a one time replacement so if u got an iPad 2 that needs work bring it to apple ASAP they will replace no questions ask!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - Apple has a very customer-centric replacement policy. They realise that customers who get treated well tend to tell other customers of their great service and - guess what - they sell more iPads and iPhones. Thanks for letting us know.

Tim

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most other companies won't do that but Apple respects users and will replace one time only with this type of situation. This option however may vary country to country so be aware.

Zcgofaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you originally purchase your ipad2 from an apple store? Did they ask you for a receipt? I bought mine from walmart and somehow I have a huge scratch on my screen that drives me nuts. It's deep too. It distorts colors and I can feel it under my finger. I do have light leakage and was gonna use that as an excuse to exchange it but if I can just use my "one free replacement" then I'll do that.

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I dropped my iPad 2 yesterday I broke my volume button and left a real nasty dent , to make a long story short there gonna replace for free it's called a one time replacement so if u got an iPad 2 that needs work bring it to apple ASAP they will replace no questions ask!

I live in Belgium and my three weeks old Ipad2 has a one inch scratch in the middle of the screen, very annoying when reading stuff and also in viewing pics.
I called Apple care in Belgium and they told me to go to a service center and there they told me there's nothing they can do, so if it annoys me i have to buy a new one. :confused:
Another service center tells me they can replace the glass screen but they didn't know the cost yet, my guess about 150 to 200 euro.
I have a cellphone of 4 years old with no cover on its screen and it looks better
I take great care of my ipad and i use the smartcover all the time when its not in use, i really don't know where the scratch comes from.
There seems to be a coating on top of the glass screen so this makes it very fragile.

Its a shame rules are not the same everywhere

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think America has much better customer service in general, so I don't think I would stand a chance of getting a replacement here in the UK if I was in the same situation :(

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

evalime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish i was lucky as you, I ended dropping my ipad 2 only 3 feet of the ground and hitting the corner damaging the glass.
Since the ipad 2 was only used less than one day of purchase I try exchanging it at the apple store where i had purchased it from but they didn't offer the exchange which some people had luck on doing. Their asking price to fix it was 300$...

vlg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
applecare

hi there

did you have applecare at the time? same thing happened to mine but i am nervous to ask for a replacement.

what did you say to them when you brought it in?

thanks !

vanessa

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there

did you have applecare at the time? same thing happened to mine but i am nervous to ask for a replacement.

what did you say to them when you brought it in?

thanks !

vanessa

The truth. You dropped it. Apple will usually replace for accidents as a one time deal only.

Last edited:

HerbalTBag

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's amazing I don't know any other company that would even think about doing that.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple won't fix anything. Mine dropped from only 2 feet and shattered the screen. The ipad still works but the screen is a mess. Took it to the apple store and they wanted $452 to replace it with a refurbished ipad of the same spec as i had. They will not repair the screen only let you pay a fortune to replace it with refurb model. That's terrible customer service and not a company supporting accidents. It's just a matter of time before yours breaks as they have no strength at all the way they are constructed because mine was in a case and hardly hit the ground.

Welcome to our forums. Can you please explain why Apple should replace your iPad for free if you dropped it. Your the one that dropped it and you are responsible regardless if it had a case or not. Try dropping a laptop and see what happens in many cases it is a right off and the cost can be over a thousand with out any effort at all. In some cases Apple will replace iPads damaged however it is not a set rule in all locations or countries.

When you purchase any ipad, computer, phone etc one should take out all risk cover then if something goes wrong you receive a new unit assuming you pay an excess. Apple offers the best customer service world wide and has the lowest complaints over all compared to any IT company.

It should be noted it is not cost effective to repair iPads and similar products as they are solid state devices further more if you drop an iPad you have no idea what other damage that may have occurred so in other words if you do some how get the glass replaced by a third part you may find something else wrong and I can assure you your warranty will not cover it.

C

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hardly hit the ground.

But it did hit the ground. And I don't believe Apple was there. Were they? That'd be a No.

If and when they do replace accidents of our own accord, it will be at their descretion and is a one time courtesy not policy. I am sorry things didn't go your way, but all this entitlement really needs to be squashed.

IsaacJireh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No so lucky in Singapore! As you know everything in Singapore nothing is free! I drop my ipad asking Eservice apple appointed service provider, so no lucky i needed to Pay SGD$507 for 32gb 3G+wifi! and the price various. I wish i was in USA. The feeling sucks. Disappointed as SINGAPORE majority people are using apple product. Large percentage are using apple product and we doesn't even have a Apple Storeby Apple? All apple store in Signapore are apple appointed seller. saded. No serive centers that are nice to do a one time courtesy replacement.

Below is my story! care to read?

Guy warning! Do not buy the SMART COVER indeed it is not smart for smart user.
My iPad Drop case is due to the so call SMART COVER! i never had an iPad so my friend bought me one ipad with everything fixed. To my dismay, the smart cover magnet detach easily and i hoping to catch it. The ipad cover also did not prone users to handle ipad with care. Ipad may easily detach from it or anything. I so sad that my screen crack and i have to pay SGD507 plus to repair the screen. I also notice the price like 32gb 3g+wifi= $507, 16bgb 3G+wifi=$407 and so on. The price varies. I was wondering if Singapore Service center is earning such big bucks as one person could top up and buy another new iPad! To add on, It is due to the smart cover design that never take such cas into consideration, what if it loses it magnetism over time. Could it be dangerous for kids or anyone who fist in contact with iPad? It has a polycarbonate backing and was wondering why not the smart cover magnet can actually attach to it. Was is design this way on purpose so that users will DROP their iPad easily and repairs in order to EARN money in Singapore?

I was told off by the Singapore Apple Service advisors that i am not covered cos it is my fault and dim as an accident. I was wondering why it did not prone users or make any improvement to the design or EVEN Anticipate such thing will happened to the user. The design should Shape to the user. That is what Steve Job vision for Mac. Humanity Design! Why is the SMART COVER NOT TAKEN for such consideration that this will happened. Just that magnet attach is cooler? Apple is such a big and good Company i know! Please help me? Someone help me. A student here work so hard to get an ipad in the end had to pay another $500 plus to get it repair. Really cost a bomb. Hidden bomb in apple. Help me apple PLEASE!

I WARN iPad buyers! NOT TO BUY THE SMART COVER! If you buy Please warn the next users to handle it with care, it will detach easily if it is not handle properly.
APPLE will not cover your ipad for their own product fault! Consumer has no rights to apple cos they are big and powerful!

Sign off

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
But it did hit the ground. And I don't believe Apple was there. Were they? That'd be a No.

If and when they do replace accidents of our own accord, it will be at their descretion and is a one time courtesy not policy. I am sorry things didn't go your way, but all this entitlement really needs to be squashed.

Agree. My cat knocked my iPad down from the nightstand and, as luck would have it, my DSLR was parked at the bottom and the screen landed face-first into the flash hot shoe of the camera, cracking the glass. I took a huge risk of driving 3.5 hours to the nearest Apple Store in Portland only to possibly be met with "too bad, so sad....". But I went there, iPad in hand (no receipt...the registration info already in their system), told them with 100% honesty what had happened. Believe me, the first words out of their mouths were "...the replacement cost is...", which at first made my heart sink. However, I was lucky that they made a one-time exception for me to replace it.

Apple is under ZERO obligation to replace something you break, be it on purpose or by accident. When was the last time Ford replaced your car with a new one because you weren't paying attention to the road and swerved to avoid hitting a car in front of you, only to hit a light standard? Or Canon replacing your Mark 5D DSLR after you'd set it on top of a staircase railing and you slipped, bumping it and knocking it down ten feet to its doom? Or Dell replacing your laptop after you spilled a can of soda on it, shorting it out? I thought so.

However...I believe this varies from store to store and even whom you're dealing with. Mostly, I gather that it's done purely on a case-by-case basis. The fact that Apple even DOES this at all is pretty amazing. If you've had your broken iPad replaced with a complimentary new one, thank the stars, God, that four-leaf clover in your pocket, Bruce Springsteen-or whatever-for your luck. If you haven't, it doesn't hurt to try. Just BE HONEST, POLITE AND SINCERE. The very least that can happen is they'll say "sorry" and you'll be no worse off than you were before you went there.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IsaacJireh said:
No so lucky in Singapore! As you know everything in Singapore nothing is free! I drop my ipad asking Eservice apple appointed service provider, so no lucky i needed to Pay SGD$507 for 32gb 3G+wifi! and the price various. I wish i was in USA. The feeling sucks. Disappointed as SINGAPORE majority people are using apple product. Large percentage are using apple product and we doesn't even have a Apple Storeby Apple? All apple store in Signapore are apple appointed seller. saded. No serive centers that are nice to do a one time courtesy replacement.

Below is my story! care to read?

Guy warning! Do not buy the SMART COVER indeed it is not smart for smart user.
My iPad Drop case is due to the so call SMART COVER! i never had an iPad so my friend bought me one ipad with everything fixed. To my dismay, the smart cover magnet detach easily and i hoping to catch it. The ipad cover also did not prone users to handle ipad with care. Ipad may easily detach from it or anything. I so sad that my screen crack and i have to pay SGD507 plus to repair the screen. I also notice the price like 32gb 3g+wifi= $507, 16bgb 3G+wifi=$407 and so on. The price varies. I was wondering if Singapore Service center is earning such big bucks as one person could top up and buy another new iPad! To add on, It is due to the smart cover design that never take such cas into consideration, what if it loses it magnetism over time. Could it be dangerous for kids or anyone who fist in contact with iPad? It has a polycarbonate backing and was wondering why not the smart cover magnet can actually attach to it. Was is design this way on purpose so that users will DROP their iPad easily and repairs in order to EARN money in Singapore?

I was told off by the Singapore Apple Service advisors that i am not covered cos it is my fault and dim as an accident. I was wondering why it did not prone users or make any improvement to the design or EVEN Anticipate such thing will happened to the user. The design should Shape to the user. That is what Steve Job vision for Mac. Humanity Design! Why is the SMART COVER NOT TAKEN for such consideration that this will happened. Just that magnet attach is cooler? Apple is such a big and good Company i know! Please help me? Someone help me. A student here work so hard to get an ipad in the end had to pay another $500 plus to get it repair. Really cost a bomb. Hidden bomb in apple. Help me apple PLEASE!

I WARN iPad buyers! NOT TO BUY THE SMART COVER! If you buy Please warn the next users to handle it with care, it will detach easily if it is not handle properly.
APPLE will not cover your ipad for their own product fault! Consumer has no rights to apple cos they are big and powerful!

Sign off

See my post just above.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts