What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Virtual PC App FREE?!?

WhiteiPad2128GB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, I just got an iPad 2 white 16GB and I also got a keyboard case you I want to turn my room into a tech room. I have my desktop, laptop, tv, ps3, and my iPad all setup. I want to use my iPad as a 3rd computer. What's a good free FAST VPC app/service for the iPad?

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you trying to use your iPad as another monitor or trying to control your pc with your iPad? One of the more popular VPC apps is alwaysonpc but it is $20 but if you want just a remote desktop you can try team viewer it is free.

OP
WhiteiPad2128GB

WhiteiPad2128GB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I actually want virtual pc from cloud/service on my iPad, not a slow thing like logmein. Something like alwaysonpc, but free like onlive desktop. Onlive desktop will be perfect except for the fact that it can't properly use the web browser.

Also where is the iPF app? I can't find it on the app store.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OnCloud is still free for all services (and they just added a couple more features). OnLive has a free and subscription account.

Both depend on a solid (fast) internet connection to work well. I am not aware of any other virtual PC service that works half as well; and I did a search for them a while back. I you want to check them out to see if there have been improvements, additions, or they just fit your needs; here is the list I researched. Some of them were only promising iPad support when I looked. Other's were limited, or had poor reviews.

OP
WhiteiPad2128GB

WhiteiPad2128GB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Twerppoet, thanks for your ideas. Here's my conclussions:

-CloudOn: Nope, just a storage app.
-Onlive: It's mediocre at best. I want a FUNCTIONAL FREE browser. Don't get me wrong, I love the free MS Office apps.
-Glide: HOW THE *^%& DO YOU INSTALL THIS ON AN IPAD?!?
-ZeroPC: Haven't tried it yet. I'll make a second post.
-Thinkfree: Couldn't find it.
-AlwaysonPC: NOT FREE. -__-

Thanks for all your help. I'll respond after I try Zero......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't think what you want exists in all the particulars. At least not for free. Life is like that some (most) of the time.

I'm not sure what you mean by CloudOn being just a storage app. It does not have the browser, but does have most of the other things OnLive has. The last update with Box and email makes it possible to work on and share Office documents.

Not that I've used either service. I'm only going by specs and reviews.

Last edited:
OP
WhiteiPad2128GB

WhiteiPad2128GB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, If I wanted a free app, I can jailbreak and get alwaysonpc for free. iOS 5.1 is yet to be untethered jailbroken yet.

So, CloudOn a storage app, while Onlive is an actual PC but limited to Production apps with the free account.

I want a app like Onlive, free, but with a working browser.......-_-

AlwaysonPC is the perfect example, but costly.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, If I wanted a free app, I can jailbreak and get alwaysonpc for free. ...[snip]...

Ah, but if you were to "get alwaysonpc for free" after jail breaking you would be a pirate and a thief. Jail breaking the iPad does not give you a license to steal; it merely allows you full access to your iPad's file system. To use the jail broken iPad to steal apps is illegal and not condoned here.

Bottom line: Jail breaking does not equal piracy. Jail breaking is legal - piracy is illegal. Don't be a pirate!

Marilyn

Most reactions