What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 - Only EDGE issue

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I recently transferred my JB iPad 1 data to my new iPad 2, and upon using the 3G, I can only get edge, no 3G. I have 5 bars, but no 3G.

The only thing I can think of that could be the problem is my JB iPad 1 had SBSettings installed, and both 3G and Data (the E icon) were switched to off when I made the backup for my iPad 2. I tried only turning on the E icon in SBSettings, but for some reason it keeps saying No Service...

I guess I've got to switch them on again and make another backup? Unless there's a way to access the 3G switch on official firmware.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the problem. It's not a good idea to restore a new stock device with an old jailbroken backup :)

To re-enable it without restoring IOS, you need to take a backup in iTunes, edit the K48AP.plist file in the backup using something like iBackupBot (a PC based tool), and then restore the backup via iTunes again. The key in the file which has probably been changed is:

<key>telephony-maximum-generation</key>
<real>3.5</real>

It is probably set to something like 2.5 which is EDGE. Set it back to 3.5 which is 3G.

But beware. You tamper with this file at your own risk. It is absolutely CRITICAL to your iPad and if you mess it up it will NOT boot and you will be forced to restore. Proceed with extreme caution!

If you want a safer route then restore your iPad2 and start again from a fresh build (obviously, you CANT restore from a backup as you will just perpetuate the problem).

Hope that helps.

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find that file in the backup file :( There's no search function (that I can find) so that's not helping either...

Looking through the list in iBackupBot, I can't find a "K48AP.plist" entry. What's its path?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad, K48 is the iPad1 file which would have been originally modified on your original device. The iPad2 3G file is /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/K94AP.plist

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh...looking in iBackupBot, there is no System/Library/Coreservices, and I can't find K94AP.plist either.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK if it's not in the backup then it sounds like it's a restore for you then... Sorry.

OP
G

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eh, it's no issue :p I'll just flip the switches on my JB iPad 1 and make another backup. Haven't done much on my iPad 2 yet so I'm not losing anything in restoring it again.

EDIT: Yep, did that and I've got 3G now.

Last edited:

XytoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i Have the same problem with my ipad 2, but i dont want to do a restore without backup because i dont wanne loose my data.
when i do a clean restore without backup, it is fixed.. when I put backup back it is broken again..
so the problem is inside the backup file.. how do i find my k94ap in my backupfile? i have used ibackupbot but didn't find it..
thanks!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the post above says, since it's not in the backup file, you need to restore. Either that, or jailbreak and use SBSettings to re-enable it again.

Most reactions

Latest posts