What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 now? Or 3 later?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I'm getting a refund, and its just enough for an iPad 2.

The issue is that I mainly want the 2nd for the cams and the extra boosting performance. But I'm not willing to give up my original iPad. I really want the iPad 3, which would be a more significant step up from my ipad1, and therefore worth it, but thinking that it's release is a whole 10 months away, I'm not sure its worth the wait. Though I'm most likely gonna get the third regardless of what I do now...

So fellow users, what do you all suggest? Should I get the ipad2 and also the 3 when released? just get the 2 now and not the third? Suck it up, and just wait for the thirds release? Should I just be one of those obsessive freaks who collects these 500$ devices?!

Edit: Ok so now my dilemma has changed to iPad 2 now, iPad HD in the Fall or iPad 3 next year....

Last edited:

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I would answer you with this: if you are struggling with the idea of upgrading to the next iPad (2 or 3), then it means that you know the iPad 1 is still doing the job... The camera is a nice addition for videoconferencing, but the speed boost, I have my doubts as the iPad 1 is not a slow device by itself. And you'll get accustomed really fast to the new speed that eventually, you won't see it anymore.

Ask yourself, do you want to upgrade because of an actual need or because it would be cool?

VicoPad addict!

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I would answer you with this: if you are struggling with the idea of upgrading to the next iPad (2 or 3), then it means that you know the iPad 1 is still doing the job... The camera is a nice addition for videoconferencing, but the speed boost, I have my doubts as the iPad 1 is not a slow device by itself. And you'll get accustomed really fast to the new speed that eventually, you won't see it anymore.

Ask yourself, do you want to upgrade because of an actual need or because it would be cool?

VicoPad addict!

Well The iPad is not slow, but I have notice it's been a bit slower at responding to some things (mainly the multitouch gestures and the multitasking bar). And yeah, I do close the apps regularly from the bar when I don't use them.

There is no exact "need" for me to get one... But I know I will definitely get the 3 because it will be a bigger step forward (hopefully). It's just that in the moment its burning a hole in my pocket and mine, I love the iPad, and like to keep up to date with them. But though the step from 1 to 2 doesn't really justify me getting it as much as the 1 to 3 does, the fact that the 3 is more than 10 months away might be enough to make me get the 2. I will most likely be able to save up for the 3 in the 10 months... But then I will own 3 iPads; would that be overkill?

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’d get the iPad2 now and sell your iPad while it still has good value to those who can’t afford a new unit. Ten months is a long time to wait in tech-years.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's not broken, don't fix it. The iPad 1 is workin for you right now and you have an iPad. Wait to see what's coming up on the third one and decide from there. It's a win win situation if you thing about it. If the third IPad has features you like than get that if you don't think it's a significant step up from the iPad 2 than get the second one which will be cheaper at that time.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The rule of thumb in technology products is to buy every second iteration. On that basis I would be waiting for iPad3.
I have an iPad2 and will be waiting for iPad4 before I upgrade.

MMIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to wait for the IPad 3 but decided to get the iPad 2. I am glad that I did. The selling points for me were the fact that the Ipad2 was lighter/easier to hold and the camera which enables me to video conference with my kids in college. You can always sell the IPad 2 and purchase the 3 as previously suggested on this thread. Good luck!

Rocket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted the Ipad when it first came out but waited and got the ipad2 , now I don't have an ipad because my wife has taken over on it , she loves it so much it is now hers . I am going to wait for the ipad3 to buy one for myself because I can't see having two ipad2s .

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rocket said:
I wanted the Ipad when it first came out but waited and got the ipad2 , now I don't have an ipad because my wife has taken over on it , she loves it so much it is now hers . I am going to wait for the ipad3 to buy one for myself because I can't see having two ipad2s .

Ha ha ha........my wife won't touch my IPad2. She tried it once and hates it. She's stuck on her new laptop with mouse. So, I can't use her as an excuse to get an Ipad3 when they come out. Darn!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The rule of thumb in technology products is to buy every second iteration. On that basis I would be waiting for iPad3.
I have an iPad2 and will be waiting for iPad4 before I upgrade.

I waited for iPad 2. However, if iPad 3 came out with significantly higher ppi for the screen, it would be hard for me to sit back....that's the weakest point about iPad 1/2, IMO. For the iPad 2, I don't see a need for more speed, but if it could get closer to 300 ppi, while keeping the speed for graphics, mine you, I'd had to jump. Then, I could see hanging on it that one for a while.

nicky_r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.divaswithscents.com
I have the iPad 1 and will wait for the 3 because the addition of the camera is not enough for me to purchase now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cost of ownership is small compared to a a Pc laptop. Buy each upgrade and sell just before release of new model average return will be about 60% of original cost which means you iPad will cost you less than$1 dollar per day average if you are smart.

Most reactions

Latest posts