What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Media Reviews

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Hmm. Not too shabby, but I hate how these reviews are all "it keeps apple ahead in the tablet race....FOR NOW" Oh come off it! I know they're trying to be as biased as possible, but good lord, Apple/iPad has and will remain the leader in tablets for YEARS, if not forever. This is not fanboyism, this is based off of EXPERIENCE.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm. Not too shabby, but I hate how these reviews are all "it keeps apple ahead in the tablet race....FOR NOW" Oh come off it! I know they're trying to be as biased as possible, but good lord, Apple/iPad has and will remain the leader in tablets for YEARS, if not forever. This is not fanboyism, this is based off of EXPERIENCE.

Yea, just like the iPhone. Oh wait.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
My favorite quote from the Engadget review:

It might frustrate the competition to hear this, but it needs to be said: the iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market. As much as we'd like to say that something like the Xoom has threatened Apple's presence in this space, it's difficult (if not impossible) to do that.

Oh, and Thphilli, Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum or Android Central | Android Forums, News, and Help. Have fun there instead of harassing us here, mmkay? :)

OP
D

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's definitely the best tablet for now--which is why I'm buying one.

I can definitely see myself moving on in a few years when tech improves though.

What I ideally want is a real tablet PC--form factor, speed, battery life etc. like the iPad, but with a full Windows based OS designed around touch use. Not the crappy tablet/slate PCs of the past that were bulky, short battery lifed, had OS's still built for keyboard and mouse use etc.

I'd get more use out of that as it could be both a work and play tool and be a true laptop replacement when paired with a bluetooth keyboard. But that kind of tech is still a long ways off. Probably why there was that story where MS said no windows tablet until late 2012 at the earliest.

But for the time being, the iPad rules when it comes to multimedia tablets not meant to be tablet PCs. And I'll enjoy the hell out of it for net surfing, games, reading PDFs etc. while doing any real work on my laptop.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

I can definitely see myself moving on in a few years when tech improves.

What I ideally want is a real tablet PC--form factor, speed, battery life etc. like the iPad, but with a full Windows based OS designed around touch use. I'd get more use out of that as it could be both a work and play tool and be a true laptop replacement when paired with a bluetooth keyboard.

But for the time being, the iPad rules when it comes to multimedia tablets not meant to be tablet PCs.

Windows based touch-OSy stuff is dead in the water, and was years ago. Microsoft (at this point in time based off of what we've seen given their history) will never have a fully optimized tablet OS. However, I have seen people working on ports of Windows and Android to iOS, which should be interesting. However, with all of the multi click and right clicking and what not that windows needs, I can't see it being practically implemented without major design changes...which I don't see MS doing.

OP
D

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time will tell. I could possibly move to a Mac tablet as well--though that would take a few specialty software programs I use for work putting out Mac versions as I'm not willing to hassle with boot camp etc.

Point being I really eventually want a table that's a full PC/Mac with an OS designed around touch navigation, rather than a phone OS like iOS or Android. I don't really care what the OS is as long as it has all the software I need.

Hell, it could be a laptop with a screen that's a detachable tablet. Imagine a full ipad when detached, snap it on to a keyboard and you've got a full powered Macbook. Something like that would be pretty kick ass IMO. Best of both worlds with not having to own a completely separate laptop and tablet.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Time will tell. I could possibly move to a Mac tablet as well--though that would take a few special software programs I use for work putting out Mac versions as I'm not willing to hassle with boot camp etc.

Point being I really eventually want a table that's a full PC/Mac with an OS designed around touch navigation, rather than a phone OS like iOS or Android. I don't really care what the OS is as long as it has all the software I need.

Hell, it could be a laptop with a screen that's a detachable tablet. Imagine a full ipad when detached, snap it on to a keyboard and you've got a full powered Macbook. Something like that would be pretty kick ass IMO. Best of both worlds with not having to own a completely separate laptop and tablet.

now THAT idea I like...QUICK! SOMEONE AT APPLE TALK TO THIS GUY! lol

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're not trying to be biased, they're trying to be unbiased, and they're simply recognizing that the market is in it's infancy. And while it's Apple's game to lose, the only thing preventing a Android tablet from outselling the iPad is that no one has reallized they can't beat the iPad by trying to make a "better" tablet.

Pepsi could make a drink that tasted exactly like Coke, but it would never have the brand recognition of Coke. Pepsi did manage to outsell Coke for awhile, until Coke realized it's brand was what it needed to sell. Apple has never forgotten that.

If you want to see a tablet outsell the iPad, buy a million Nook Colors, root 'em and put Android 2.2 on them and tell them for $350.00. You'll make $75.00 on each one even if you pay full retain price for the tablets.

The problem with Android tablets is the cheap ones suck, and the OK ones cost more than the (better) iPad. Give the American public a good and cheap Android tablet and you'll sell a ton of them. Just ask Virgin Mobile, who sold out of the their cheap and good Android pay-as-you-go LG phone in a couple of days.

The best of a thing is seldom the best seller. Right now there just isn't a second best at any price unless you make your own.

Last edited:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I can definitely see myself moving on in a few years when tech improves though.

What I ideally want is a real tablet PC--form factor, speed, battery life etc. like the iPad, but with a full Windows based OS designed around touch use. Not the crappy tablet/slate PCs of the past that were bulky, short battery lifed, had OS's still built for keyboard and mouse use etc.

I'd get more use out of that as it could be both a work and play tool and be a true laptop replacement when paired with a bluetooth keyboard. But that kind of tech is still a long ways off. Probably why there was that story where MS said no windows tablet until late 2012 at the earliest.

But for the time being, the iPad rules when it comes to multimedia tablets not meant to be tablet PCs. And I'll enjoy the hell out of it for net surfing, games, reading PDFs etc. while doing any real work on my laptop.

Are you aware that MS OS is optimized with a pointing device in mind ... a mouse ... in iPAD the finger is the device and does not subsequently move a pointer. Also Flash is a pointer based technology and needs "hover" ... this is a mouse function ... again doesn't not work in native iPAD OS.

Just buy an MacBook Air or MBPro and you have a fantastic computer. You just sound like you want a Porsche for a Focus price.

So much for wishes.

OP
D

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you aware that MS OS is optimized with a pointing device in mind ... a mouse ..

Currently. They're rumored to be working on a Tablet with a new Tablet specific OS. But have said it wouldn't be out until late 2012 at the earliest.

And like I said, I'm not particular to an OS really. I just prefer windows as that's what I've always used and I have some specialty programs for work that are only available for Windows. And my IT department at work currently only supports windows and the only computers I have are my office desktop and my work provided laptop.

I'm just pining for the day when a we can have a tablet with the iPads form factor, battery life, speed etc. that can truly replace a laptop for work when paired with a keyboard or dock. It would cost more obviously. I'd pay a $1,000-1,500 for something like that (about what I play for laptops).

Most reactions