What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 loses Internet connection

Carnagerover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my IPad 2 for about 5-6 days now and it would seem that every two days or so the Internet stops working, the IPad is still connected to the wifi but until I turn the wifi off and the on again it won't work online. Once the wifi is reset it works?

Any ideas my IPhone 3gs is fine, I have a Netgear WNDR3700 router.

Last time it happened I was on safari, webpages stopped working and then after closing the tabs I couldn't open a new page. So I tried an app, no internet connection however I am still connected to the router. Once I reset the wifi on the iPad the Internet works fine again? Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm going to save myself some typing, so if you think you have read this in another thread, that's why. :)

Unfortunately some routers and the ipad just do not get along. Sometimes you can adjust it to work properly, but it's so specific to each router that usually, after a lot of messing around, most people choose to just get a newer router. You can always contact your provider (if they supplied the router) or the manufacturer to see if they have a fix. Also, check to see if they have a firmware update. That's been known to help.

But there are a few things worth trying first. This more or less combines them all into one.

Shut off your router.

On the iPad, go into Settings >> General >> Reset, and choose Reset Network Settings.

Restart your iPad. Hold down the power button until the red power off slider appears and slide it off. After the iPad shuts down, hold down the power button again until you see the Apple logo.

Turn on your router and wait for it to finish rebooting.

If the iPad does not ask if you want to join the network, after the router reboots, go to Settings >> Wi-Fi and manually join your network.

Test to see if it works properly now, and continue to monitor over the next few weeks to make sure the problem does not reappear, at lest not too often.

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to save myself some typing, so if you think you have read this in another thread, that's why. :)

Unfortunately some routers and the ipad just do not get along. Sometimes you can adjust it to work properly, but it's so specific to each router that usually, after a lot of messing around, most people choose to just get a newer router. You can always contact your provider (if they supplied the router) or the manufacturer to see if they have a fix. Also, check to see if they have a firmware update. That's been known to help.

But there are a few things worth trying first. This more or less combines them all into one.

Shut off your router.

On the iPad, go into Settings >> General >> Reset, and choose Reset Network Settings.

Restart your iPad. Hold down the power button until the red power off slider appears and slide it off. After the iPad shuts down, hold down the power button again until you see the Apple logo.

If the iPad does not ask if you want to join the network, after the router reboots, go to Settings >> Wi-Fi and manually join your network.

Test to see if it works properly now, and continue to monitor over the next few weeks to make sure the problem does not reappear, at lest not too often.

Ok, followed your directions, will see if this works, but in the mean time, is there a wireless router that is known to work 100% with this pad. I have Android tablets and PCs and a Roku box all hooked up to my router and none have this problem, my router will handle up to 8 wireless devices so I know I'm not taxing it yet.
If there is a known 100% compatible wireless router it would be nice to know so I can look it up and be ready to order one if need be.

Thanks. AFF

Minuts later. Screen went to sleep, and when I woke it back up the connection was lost again. It did not work.
Guess I need a new router. Soooooooooooooooooo, any ideas on one that will work?
Did a search on this problem and for compatable wifi routers, settled on the Airport Extreme 5th gen. Will see how well it works when it arrives. Until then the I Pad gets to sit and collect dust.
Atleast all my other hardware runs properly on my current router.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple's Airport routers are probably the closest you'll get to a 100% guarantee (not surprisingly); however many other routers work fine. I'm using a business grade NetGear router that does the job. I got it for the extra filtering features, that I never use.

tdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no problems with my Asus RT-N56U router. Great range and consistently good signal.

--Tom--

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it's already ordered and it will undoubtedly be a better router than I have right now. I'll just set the new one up and keep the other as a back up just in case.
Took the IP2 out about an hour ago and it worked for a full aprox 15 min and then lost the connection again.

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I have been using the new Airport router from Apple for a few weeks now and can say that the 5gig frequency makes all the difference in the world. The only time the IP has dropped connection is when my Clear Modem loses connection with the cell tower. So now if my IP loses connection I know everything has lost connection.

A note for anyone having connection problems.
If your router does not handle 5gig broadcast try getting one that does and just hook it up through your current router. Just be sure the new routers ip address is different than the old one and you should be good to go.
Doing it this way is a simple set up and any devices can remain on the older router, you'll only have to change your IPs wifi connection.
Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Follow up.
Seems like it has been much longer since I got the Airport Router for the IP2.
But it's been just over a month since my last post on this.
Here is what I have found. The AP has worked without issue on its part since setup.
Normal on the lights is solid green and a few times I have found it blinking yellow. Not sure what that means but even when it does this I still have signal. The lack of a green light bugs me though so I pull the power cord for 30 sec and then plug it in. It reloads and I get the green light again.
As I said the blinking yellow still gets me signal and my IP2 works on the net as it should, so I don't know what that blinky yellow means.

All in all I'd say it was worth the cost to not have to reconnect to my network every 10 to 15 min.

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, funny that it doesn't have flashing yellow on the list.
The light is not green, and surely does not look amber. It looks yellow and data still works.
Guess I'll never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.
Since it is not on the list.

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Shut off your router.

This one really helped me, thanks! :)
Is there any work around if the WiFi is provided by mall/cafe/etc?? (we can't reboot the router obviously).

Most reactions

Latest posts