What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Locked in Portrait Mode....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All of a sudden, my iPad is stuck in portrait mode. I have not enabled a screen lock using the button, but I can't get it rotate at all. I'm in panic mode here. What could it be?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're sure you haven't locked the screen and have tried flipping the switch a couple of times to be sure, try resetting your iPad by holding the power and sleep buttons until the iPad turns off and reboots.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure the screen is not locked...a little "lock" icon shows up in the upper right hand corner when the lock button is enabled.

I have tried holding the power and home buttons now three times, but it comes back up locked in portrait mode.

Man...I got this on the release day and have not had a single issue it until now...and I'm not even sure exactly when it happened....

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dang...I'm not even sure we have an Apple store. I bought mine at Best Buy.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Id call Apple before I'd ever let Best Buy look at it or anything of mine.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Absolutely no one at BB will touch my iPad.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What iOS version? This was something that was addressed in one of the iOS 4.3x updates

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 5.0.1. I try to stay up. Do you remember what the problem was in 4.3x?

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah it would get stuck in portrait or land scape. A reboot would usually clear it.

Have you tried killing all of the apps running in the background? I had a game (can't remember which) that would lock my iPad in landscape; even when the app was in the background. I would have to close it to get it unstuck.

Do you have any apps that lock into portrait?

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I tried killing all of the apps. The last app I remember running before I picked it up again was Navigon, version 2.0. And when I noticed the problem I was in Goodreader looking at a PDF. It was in Goodreader that I noticed the problem. I have tried several reboots (power/home button reboots) and nothing seems to be working. Could whatever device (gyro?) that allows the device to detest it's orientation be broken, as in physically broken? Of course, there is no visual damage to the iPad.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Turns out there is an Apple store in my city. I guess I should do a full backup before going over there. Anything else I need to do or take?

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got me a new iPad 2. They said it was a bad sensor. Now, I need to find a new cover for the back. I had a bodyguard carbon fiber on my old one.

I gotta say, I was very impressed with how Apple handled this issue. So "no hassle" it's hard to believe. And I'm busy enough to really appreciate that.

Most reactions

Latest posts