What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 for business use/WiFi fix???

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to purchase the iPad 2 with 3g for the Face Time feature to expand the ability of my business to offer my customers live video look in's with Face Time and the skype app. Their equipment is located in different states other than where the headquarters is located. I travel to the areas where their equipment is in use and want to give them remote video updates live. Sometimes the equipment is in buildings as well as outside so I would plan to take a WiFi hot spot with me to the different building locations to provide the best possible WiFi connection for my iPad2. So my questions is do you think this iPad2/Face Time/WiFi technology is ready for prime time enough to reliably and professionally send my Face Time live videos to customers? I have seen some people complain about the WiFi connection issue here on the forums and would like to know if anybody is able to use the iPad2 Face Time feature reliably enough yet to use it in a professional business manner? Also I have been told that the 3g connection doesn't provide very good video quality compared to the WiFi, is that true? Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to here from you about this business application issue and any ideas you may have. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FaceTime will only work on an iPad via WiFi; connection via 3G is not possible. For that you'd need to use another VoIP program, such as Skype. Remember, too, that you can only use FaceTime to another FaceTime user.

Tim

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FaceTime over 3G is possible via jailbreaking your iPad..but wifi is preferred.

my iPad's don't seem to have wifi issues, and FaceTime is OK.

how about you get an iPad 2 and a Macbook Air...that Macbook Air would be an awesome addition to your business ventures, and it does FaceTime, Skype etc....and the battery life is awesomeness.

OP
ipad2biz

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I use Skype instead of Face Time can't I reach all other types of devices not just apple products? Thanks

OP
ipad2biz

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with the airbook is that I will need to use the iPad2 like it is a video camera and be able to carry it around while showing the client many different areas of where the equipment is located. This requires going up ladders and under pipes, etc sometimes. The iPad2 can be carried more like a flat camera or video recorder so it is the only possible choice. Thanks for your help

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - the iPad is ideal for that. So load the Skype app onto your iPad and see how it goes.

Tim

OP
ipad2biz

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I've just heard so many people complaining about the iPad2 WiFi not being able to stay connected that I was starting to wonder if maybe this device was not quite ready for this kind of business use. If I was cutting clients off a lot when I was video conferencing it would be totally unprofessional and the service I would be offering with the iPad2 would become worthless.

By the way how could I make a video recording of the whole live video conference so that I could send it to my contractors who were not able to join the video conference live? Thanks as usual

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype quality can vary a lot, so I'd have backup plan if I were doing business on it the way that you want to. Apart from iPad's wifi issues, Skype often has connection quality issues.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no problem with the iPad WiFi - I've had my iPad nearly 9 months and not had a single problem. Typically the problem is with the WiFi router.

Tim

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just so you know, the camera for the iPad 2 is not the best, a lot of people hate it, please test at apple store to satisfy yourself before purchase, you can also test FaceTime.

iPhone 4 can do everything you are asking for, with a wayyyy better camera and way more mobile than an iPad.
and since you are thinking more about video, don't get 16GB.
New iPhone in Oct.

recording a live video conference, i'm not sure about that, and concerning cutting off of a video conference, people should be lucky that it is becoming available and enjoy the experience and CONVENIENCE, but once you have a good wi-fi connection, no cut-offs until you press end.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the identical router setup in two homes, with two iPads. Holding a signal varies. In one house, no problems with either iPad. In the other, signal strength is a problem, even though the house layout is smaller. I'm guessing it's iPad struggling to maintain a signal despite neighboring wifi signals and a lot of trees. I use the same wifi for all my computers, but only the iPads struggle at the second location. I started using iPad 1 on debut day, more than a year ago. I worked out wifi setup at the start, based on Apple suggestions.

OP
ipad2biz

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would using a Verizon hot spot on my laptop close to where I am video conferencing do the trick for what I need?

Last edited:
OP
ipad2biz

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked at a lot of iPad2 video test clips on you tube and they look pretty good for what I want to do but I will go ahead and test it in the store as you mentioned first.

How much video time can be stored on the 16GB at one time? I will only need to store one video at a time before I send the copy to contractors and clients, at that point I would store the video files on Dropbox and or my PC. Would not need to keep videos stored on the iPad2. So wouldn't 16 GB be plenty under these circumstances?

Although it has a better camera if I used the iPhone4 with a 3g hookup for the video wouldn't the video quality be inferior to the WiFi on the iPad2? (PS - Can I video conference with the iPhone4 too?) Thanks for your help

OP
ipad2biz

ipad2biz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any suggestions on a backup plan??? Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts