What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 edge coming apart!!

free0rda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I just noticed that the edge - between the glass and metal back - seems to be coming apart from the glass. It doesn't look like anything major, as it's only apparent in the upper left corner under the headphone jack. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I worry about it?

hopefully this picture is good enough- there seems to be some kind of dirt spec underneath it too.. not sure if thats what is making it pop up or not. But it's obvious how its not completely attached like the rest of the edges.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/free0rda/abea2a71.png

I had to travel cross province to get my hands on on this thing on release day (Canada) as my town has no apple store nor carries any iPads. So running to exchange it isn't really a viable option for me :(

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoa...Hope this is just a freak issue! because these are glued now and could become a big issue! Now i feel even worst about selling my ipad1!

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I just noticed that the edge - between the glass and metal back - seems to be coming apart from the glass. It doesn't look like anything major, as it's only apparent in the upper left corner under the headphone jack. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I worry about it?

hopefully this picture is good enough- there seems to be some kind of dirt spec underneath it too.. not sure if thats what is making it pop up or not. But it's obvious how its not completely attached like the rest of the edges.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/free0rda/abea2a71.png

I had to travel cross province to get my hands on on this thing on release day (Canada) as my town has no apple store nor carries any iPads. So running to exchange it isn't really a viable option for me :(

Thanks for the picture - yes, it's very clear and I can see that speck of dirt too. Since you are going to find it difficult to get to an Apple Store right away, I'd suggest wait and see how the problem develops - if at all. You have the complete warranty period during which you could return it and maybe your day-to-day activities might take you close to an Apple Store sometime during the warranty period.

Let us know how it develops and we'll see if any other users are having a similar problem.

Tim
Scotland

bsanti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes! Mine is doing this too. I just noticed this today. Same separation but mine is located on the right side of the home button. I searched google today and found one other person describing the same problem in the apple forums. Also mine has tons of light bleeding but i dont operate my ipad in complete darkness, so i dont mind. But this glass separation issue is disturbing. Well, we have our warranty to fall on.

OP
F

free0rda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! This is my first iPad and I'm really blown away with how amazing it is - it's just unfortunate that other people are having problems with it too..I've also noticed that this separation is occurring on the right side of the pad too. I have no light bleeding at all and everything else seems to be working fine. I'll make sure to see if it gets any worse over time, and will pop into an apple store as soon as possible to see what's up, regardless.

One more question: are 3G connections usually ungodly slow on iPads? I'm with Rogers (Canada) for my subcription, and loading a web page takes about a year, if it even loads at all. Wi-fi is almost instantaneous though. Would the glass separation under the black 3G componment mess around with with the reception? Or is my service provider just horrible :p

Thanks,
free0rda

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies! This is my first iPad and I'm really blown away with how amazing it is - it's just unfortunate that other people are having problems with it too..I've also noticed that this separation is occurring on the right side of the pad too. I have no light bleeding at all and everything else seems to be working fine. I'll make sure to see if it gets any worse over time, and will pop into an apple store as soon as possible to see what's up, regardless.

One more question: are 3G connections usually ungodly slow on iPads? I'm with Rogers (Canada) for my subcription, and loading a web page takes about a year, if it even loads at all. Wi-fi is almost instantaneous though. Would the glass separation under the black 3G componment mess around with with the reception? Or is my service provider just horrible :p

Thanks,
free0rda

It's very unlikely that the separation is to blame for the slow 3G performance. Some times it can be simply that the local cell tower is overloaded with other users - it's a peak usage time - so try again at another time of the day to see if it's a fundamental problem with your iPad or service provider - or whether it's simply a 'peak time' issue.

Tim
Scotland

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chose the black surround and it goes away.......

Hopefully it's a manufacturing defect and will get no bigger, but if it does, take it back.
Disappointing though.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be a complete idiot. I do not see a thing wrong with that picture.:confused:

Don't be so hard on yourself - it's late and you've had a hard day..:)

It's a *very* slight separation - yes, barely visible between the glass and the case surround - you mighten even notice it, but we iPad Forum members are perfectionists - and you can *just* see a very small black speck of dust or other debris that's caught in the gap between the screen and the surround.

Tim
Scotland

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has a black bezel so I had to look under a bright lighting source. Mine is tight all the way around. I have zero light bleeding so maybe it's the same glue issue that some have had. Apple is already looking into that, maybe this is related.

It's clearly a construction issue that could not be remedied at a store, so plan on getting a new iPad 2 whenever you take it in. Be sure to back the old one up.

Just enjoy it for a while until the stores have more stock. You have a year, but don't wait too long. If you exchange sooner than later you have a better chance of getting a new one rather than a refurbished replacement.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be a complete idiot. I do not see a thing wrong with that picture.:confused:

It's a *very* slight separation - yes, barely visible between the glass and the case surround - you mighten even notice it, but we iPad Forum members are perfectionists - and you can *just* see a very small black speck of dust or other debris that's caught in the gap between the screen and the surround.

Tim
Scotland

uh huh. Goin back to check Tim!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim
Scotland

uh huh. Goin back to check Tim!

I so don't see a thing. But hey ~ I am sure you guys do!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We moderators have X-Ray vision coupled to a high power laser that we use to zap errant Forum posters - we show no mercy....

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts