What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 crashes a lot

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lately I have to reboot my iPad 2 about 2-3 days or it crashes. Whats going on?

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you upgraded the latest iOS? Should be 5.1.1
Possibly a new app could be causing the problem. Just Make sure you are updated to 5.1.1

wandalee13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rlapoint said:
Have you upgraded the latest iOS? Should be 5.1.1
Possibly a new app could be causing the problem. Just Make sure you are updated to 5.1.1

How do you check to see if you have that update? I clicked updates and didn't see it but yet I thought I downloaded it???

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--

To check this, you need to go to you settings/General/About/Version. Tell us what your version operating system your iPad is running.

wandalee13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi there--

To check this, you need to go to you settings/General/About/Version. Tell us what your version operating system your iPad is running.

Thank you....it does say 5.1.1 there..l.
Any other ideas?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you check to see if you have that update? I clicked updates and didn't see it but yet I thought I downloaded it???

Hey Wanda--I just deleted your other post which wasa duplicate of this message. Please do not do this as it is against forum rules. We want to keep topics to one thread to make it easier for members to follow the discussion and assist as needed. This cannot be done when there are multiple threads present.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you....it does say 5.1.1 there..l.
Any other ideas?

Have you tried to do the following?

Do the first 2 steps first. Save step 3 as a last resort.

1. Force the app to close?
2. Try to restart your iPad?
3. Try to do a soft reset?

You can try this in order, if an app becomes funky.

Force the app to quit by pushing the home button twice to bring up your multi-task bar. This will show all the apps that you have visited. By long pressing the app in question, it will begin to jiggle-press the red circle with the negative sign on the app. It will only quit the app and not delete. Than try to re-open the app and test out.

If that doesn't work, restart the iPad by pressing the power switch down to power off.

Third is to do a soft reset by holding the power switch and home button together until you see the apple logo. Hope that helps!

wandalee13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hey Wanda--I just deleted your other post which wasa duplicate of this message. Please do not do this as it is against forum rules. We want to keep topics to one thread to make it easier for members to follow the discussion and assist as needed. This cannot be done when there are multiple threads present.

Sorry about that.....I am not really sure about how to reply appropriately, 'reply to thread' is not visible to me. My apologies.

ceciliacas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried everything and some apps still crash. I really don't knw what to do.

OP
J

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, looks like I'm not only one. Thanks for jumping in with your issues too... I guess.

So anyway, yes I have the latest OS. My apps don't freeze, they just shut down almost instantly. I did the soft reset last night so I will see if that takes care of things. Will let you know.

Next!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jduncan said:
Wow, looks like I'm not only one. Thanks for jumping in with your issues too... I guess.

So anyway, yes I have the latest OS. My apps don't freeze, they just shut down almost instantly. I did the soft reset last night so I will see if that takes care of things. Will let you know.

Next!

If apps are crashing like that, this would appear to be a ram issue...there are steps you can take to alleviate this happening.
The first step is to have a look in Settings - Safari and clear your History and Cookies, if you would like to see how much data your iPad is saving here hit the Advanced tab first and then press Website Data and Show all Sites. Have a scroll, this is every site you've ever been to and this adds up to a significant amount of ram. So clear that History and Cookies and start afresh.

Also have a look at how many Location Settings you are running and keep them to a minimum. Just do these steps occasionally and this should stop your iPad crashing like it is. But always do those other 3 steps first when you have a problem and they are to close all yours apps regularly, do a restart occasionally and a reset when the first 2 steps fail to rectify a problem.

Do these steps and let us know if they have made a difference.

Last edited:

fasha_qei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with leelai because i'd same problems with so many crashed application a months ago. My opinion to solved the problems is frees ipad RAM used by background apps. So, i regularly clear a history, cache and cookies from browser apps. Turning off location and notification for apps that i think did't meet my purpose of using ipad. Now, my ipad works fine.

Most reactions