What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 charging and synch problem

rlhiggins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad 2 and transferred everything just fine from my old iPad. Last night, I received a "not charging" message. I left it on charge overnight and it went from 40% to 80% in 8 hours. Now it will not synch at all when I connect to my computer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it won't charge on a USB because there is not enough power. If you plug it into the wall you shouldn't have this problem. There is an adapter I've seen so you can charge with the USB, but it will be at a slower rate. As for the not syncing now I don know. Maybe restart your pad and see if that works.

OP
R

rlhiggins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I used the wall outlet charger provided with the iPad and even tried my iPhone charger to no avail. I will try turning it off this evening and see what happens.
Thanks again.
Rich

OP
R

rlhiggins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
Does it show up in the source list to the left sidebar in iTunes?

No. It does not show up at all. I have the latest iTunes version and everything worked fine when I first synched.... Now nada.

Rich

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plugged my ipad 1 up and transfered all my.purchased apps then sync the ipad.....unplugged the plugged in ipad2 and restored from the sync I had jus done and I have none of my apps on the ipad 2! What's up with that? Contacts, background, bookmarks are there but no music, videos or apps

sTechnical

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to add that Syncing and charging 2 different things.
Plugged mine into a powered hub-got not charging warning but software, videos etc. Synced fine.
There is probably no fix for this,short of changing the hardware in the iPad.
I do not see why this would be a major problem(irritating I can see), just plug it in to the wall to charge using the included wall adapter

hope u can get it repair soon..
thanks....

OP
R

rlhiggins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. I have tried everything short of wiping the thing and starting from scratch. I still get an irritatingly S L O W charge with any charger setup, and I've tried them all and still cannot synch Tried the hard re-start too.
Time for a trip to the Apple store for a mulligan.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't panic.. It IS in fact charging, just very slowly on a laptop or a desktop.. in spite of it saying 'Not Charging'..

the power block for the iPad is significantly larger than that of the iPhone (like 3 times the size), as you may have noticed, so it requires a lot more juice to charge it up..

conversely, charging the iPhone on the iPad's power block is amazingly FAST.. It's like charging on steroids, so if you're ever in a rush, use the iPads block to charge the iPhone... you'll shave some minutes for sure..

but to cure your worries, nothing is wrong with your iPad.. though it says 'NOT CHARGING' it really IS charging, though slowly..

xpcy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps silly

Hey,

I had the same problem about charging and syncing. To me it seems like that the usb cable is the problem. I have changed the cable to one of my old iPhone cables, and now syncing and charging from my MacBook Pro is not a problem.

And yes, by using the "new" cable, the iPad 2 is "slow" charging.

Perhaps it will work for you

Regards

Peter

GrandFoobah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my iPad 2 and MacBook Pro (5,3). When I did an iTunes reinstall it fixed the problem. It's syncing and charging from the USB port. I'm still not sure how it started.

Most reactions

Latest posts