What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Business Questions?

Th3KaNgSt3R

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I would like to use the iPad 2 as like an on the go computer, and I need to be able to use it for business. I would like to know if the iPad 2 can do these things:

1. Open, create, edit, and save Excel, PowerPoint, and Word files.
2. Open email attachments on the iPad 2 and save those attachments onto the iPad 2.
3. View PDF files.
4. Move Office files to and from iPad 2 with PC.
5. Create a folder that I can put all my Excel, Word, etc. files. Just like a computer so I can just open that folder and all my docs, spreadsheets, and etc will be in there.

Can you please tell me if the iPad 2 can do these things, and how I can do it?
Thanks in advance.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I would like to use the iPad 2 as like an on the go computer, and I need to be able to use it for business. I would like to know if the iPad 2 can do these things:

1. Open, create, edit, and save Excel, PowerPoint, and Word files.
2. Open email attachments on the iPad 2 and save those attachments onto the iPad 2.
3. View PDF files.
4. Move Office files to and from iPad 2 with PC.
5. Create a folder that I can put all my Excel, Word, etc. files. Just like a computer so I can just open that folder and all my docs, spreadsheets, and etc will be in there.

Can you please tell me if the iPad 2 can do these things, and how I can do it?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum...yes, the iPad2 can do all of these things.
1. For Office applications there are several iPad apps. Apple do 'Numbers' for Excel, 'Keynote' for PowerPoint and 'Pages' for Word documents. These can open .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .doc and .docx files and save as .xls, .ppt, .doc or .pdf format. They are 'stripped down' versions of their PC/Mac counterpart, so they can struggle with complex documents, but generally they do a good job.

Pages cannot deal with Track Changes though.....

2. Yes - attachments on an email can be opened from the email app by an application that supports that attachment type. So, for example, if you emailed yourself a Word document you'd be able to open it in, say, Pages or any other app that support .doc format.

3. The iPad's native iBooks app can view PDF files so, again, if you emailed yourself a PDF file you'd be able to open that file in iBooks or any other app you'd installed that supported PDF format.

4. Yes, there a whole load of ways to transfer files between a PC and an iPad - either by email, USB, WiFi or cloud storage. Most people use Apple's iTunes program to sync their PC and iPad, but a third-party app called GoodReader is also a favourite with iPad owners.

5. The iPad's native operating system iOS will not let you do this - documents are all stored locally with their corresponding apps. But GoodReader, that I mentioned above, allows you to do that and to create folders etc just like a regular computer.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if this needs any further clarification. In any case, I'm sure you'll get a lot more answers...

Tim
Scotland

djask

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would also like to know whether you can do the following on the iPad2:
1. Open mail like MS Outlook (i.e. not web-based mail)
2. Run other PC based programmes (e.g. MS Money or similar finance programmes)
Thanks

Reaction score
djask said:
I would also like to know whether you can do the following on the iPad2:
1. Open mail like MS Outlook (i.e. not web-based mail)
2. Run other PC based programmes (e.g. MS Money or similar finance programmes)
Thanks

If these are your main criteria, the iPad may not be for you.

1) Mail, the inbuilt app downloads recent e-mails, up to 200 and the recent ones are stored offline, but not all. What you can do however, is buy PST Mail, then import your PST file from Outlook and you have all emails available for browsing on your iPad. The limitation is, that you need to update the PST file manually, I.e. import it again to update and show the newest emails.

2) Clearly Windows and iOS are completely different operating systems, so there is no chance of installing a windows program on the iPad. You can however, remote control a PC and thus use the programs running on your computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts