What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 5.1.1 restore issue

massm06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i'm hoping someone can help me here. I have spent days searching these threads and trying countless efforts to restore my ipad 2. I have a jailbroken Ipad 2 running ios 5.1.1 wifi and 3g i believe GSM. I recently tried to put spire on it and thats when all my problems began, (i know this was silly and i will never do it again) I have searched through the threads and read all the tutorials on how to restore current ios. I have shsh blobs saved from cydia and was trying to use tinyumbrella to restore. I thought i had it but came up with the error 1600. I have tried all combinations of, different cords, different ports, and different computers but always get the same message. I have tried to remove spire using ifunbox but still nothing. My Ipad is stuck on the boot logo. I have entered DFU mode and know how to do all this but still nothing works. I simply dont want to upgrade to ios6 and lose jailbreak capability. I have even tried to use tinycfw but still to no avail. Please is there someone out there who can help. The only thing im not sure of with my Ipad is what baseband it is using.thank you in advance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about jailbreaking, but one nugget I've picked up is that the baseband can be found in Settings/About/Modem Firmware.

Better hope Mickey330 or f4780y see this, because they are your best hope for finding a solution.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
massm06 said:
Hi i'm hoping someone can help me here. I have spent days searching these threads and trying countless efforts to restore my ipad 2. I have a jailbroken Ipad 2 running ios 5.1.1 wifi and 3g i believe GSM. I recently tried to put spire on it and thats when all my problems began, (i know this was silly and i will never do it again) I have searched through the threads and read all the tutorials on how to restore current ios. I have shsh blobs saved from cydia and was trying to use tinyumbrella to restore. I thought i had it but came up with the error 1600. I have tried all combinations of, different cords, different ports, and different computers but always get the same message. I have tried to remove spire using ifunbox but still nothing. My Ipad is stuck on the boot logo. I have entered DFU mode and know how to do all this but still nothing works. I simply dont want to upgrade to ios6 and lose jailbreak capability. I have even tried to use tinycfw but still to no avail. Please is there someone out there who can help. The only thing im not sure of with my Ipad is what baseband it is using.thank you in advance.

I'm afraid that you have no choice in the matter. The only way to get your iPad functional again involves restoring it to iOS 6. Unfortunately, you will lose your jailbreak.
If you follow this tutorial exactly, you will end up with a fully functional iPad on iOS 6.
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Last edited:
OP
M

massm06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why this is? I have read countless threads stating that you are able to downgrade or keep the same ios if you have your shsh blobs saved.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
massm06 said:
Can anyone tell me why this is? I have read countless threads stating that you are able to downgrade or keep the same ios if you have your shsh blobs saved.

I came across a blog post when the SHSH blob signing window was still open. I don't know if this reference still applies.

It says iPad2 owners who have both 4.x blobs and 5.x blobs will always be able to downgrade to those versions, but you need both 4.x and 5.x blobs to qualify for the 5.x downgrade even though you only wish to downgrade to 5.x.

Not sure if this helps you though.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

massm06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanx for the replies. I don't have 4x blobs cause i bought my iPad after that version so i guess im outta luck. Really upset that there's nothing i can do but wait for the new jailbreak. Is there any way i can counteract this in the future i definately plan on jailbreaking my iPad again as I cant live without it, but if there is a chance that this is going to happen again and i can't fix it the whole process seems a little redundant.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanx for the replies. I don't have 4x blobs cause i bought my iPad after that version so i guess im outta luck. Really upset that there's nothing i can do but wait for the new jailbreak. Is there any way i can counteract this in the future i definately plan on jailbreaking my iPad again as I cant live without it, but if there is a chance that this is going to happen again and i can't fix it the whole process seems a little redundant.

This is always going to happen: Apple will release a new iOS and the jail break community will work to jail break it. it's a never-ending cycle that has been since the very first iDevice was sold.

There is no way to counteract how this works. Apple works consistently to improve their devices and software for security and ease-of-use purposes. Meanwhile, the jail break community attempts to discover any "cracks in the armor" in order to use an exploit to jail break.

So, when we get a jail break, it's a result of months of hard work and research (finding exploits in sophisticated software is difficult!). So far, we've been lucky that the jail break community has been successful in jailbreaking every major iOS iteration. However, as with stocks, past performance/success is no indication of future success.

There is no way to prepare or set yourself up for success. We can only react to the success of the jail breaking community - accepting whatever they can do. The best thing you can do is cross your fingers in hope that they can find a publishable exploit in iOS 6 so they can release a jail break. Unless, of course, you're a coder with extreme knowledge of iOS. Then, you could offer your services to the jail break community to aid in discovering an iOS 6 jail break - or make your own and thus receive fame (and maybe fortune). :)

Sorry, but that's the way it is. Apple is getting better and better at locking up their iOS to prevent jail breakable exploits (which they see as security risks). It's just the way of it.

So, unfortunately, you'll have to join the rest of us in waiting [patiently] for an s 6 jail break.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts