What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 4.3.3 terrible battery life

jonathan2435

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Well im new to this site (as of like 3 minutes ago haha) and my iPad has terrible battery life. It's a wifi only version and I have ping turned off and low brightness and fetch mail to manual and push off and everything you could think of to save battery life I have done. I usually get around 7 hours at most in a day. Just doing web browsing, YouTube, music. Well what can do to get better battery life? I don't know if I'm killing my battery but I usually take it off the charger at around 11am and it goes back on the charger at 6pm roughly. That's 17 hours on the charger every day. I thought though that li-ion polymer batteries don't have a memory effect so some people told me not to worry how long I keep it on the charger.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps its the music playing? That is the only think I don't do compared to you and I get around ten hours.

I haven't tried to measure the actual battery life so it is only an approximation.

Wizee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can get up to 11 hours by turning the auto-rotate off, only use it when needed. I don't use the music alot, no you tube. Everything else is like you. You should not use 1 thing a day and time it.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still need to try the restore trick but I lost about 40% a few days ago when I updated to the latest firmware.

64GB 3G White iPad

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my opinion the back light brightness setting and how long the backlight stays on could be some of your issue.

I have my brightness setting a little less than halfway.

Check yours and compare.

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How are people working out their battery life? Are you using them constantly, logging how long you use it each time or some other method? I started logging my usage, but kept forgetting :(

I bought the sys info app as someone said it logs how much you get from a charge, but all it gives you is days, hours, mins since it was last charge. I would like an app that measure the actual time you are using it, not including time it's in sleep mode :)

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog said:
In my opinion the back light brightness setting and how long the backlight stays on could be some of your issue.

I have my brightness setting a little less than halfway.

Check yours and compare.

Sent from my huge iPod touch via IPF.

Mine is just over half. I just turned the auto brightness off. It may be the the auto brightness is just now working so I am just noticing it.
Or I may have had it turned off and the OS update turns it back on?

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
How are people working out their battery life? Are you using them constantly, logging how long you use it each time or some other method? I started logging my usage, but kept forgetting :(

I bought the sys info app as someone said it logs how much you get from a charge, but all it gives you is days, hours, mins since it was last charge. I would like an app that measure the actual time you are using it, not including time it's in sleep mode :)

I just use min the same way every day. I watch smallville on the bus to and form work (15 min each way) and 1/2 hour at lunch. I check email a few times a day. I watch more smallville at home after work. And I surf and watch some YouTube in bed. That is my every day use. I did this on my iPhone every day before my iPad and I can't remember life before Aprill 29th.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can watch videos ALL day on mine. Games kill the battery quick though.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't track the actual hours, but I use mine on and off all day (9am - 11pm) for browsing, email, and creating Keynote decks, etc. When I plug the iPad in to the charger in the late evening I still have around 45% battery left.

Kendown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is so-so

I have the iPad II with 3G and I use it at work mostly. I play a few games, surf the web, and look at a few you-tube clips. In a 9 hour work day I probably have it on for about 5 hours, and when I get home I have about 30% battery life left. I have had it for a couple of months, and I would swear that it's already using more battery life that it did brand-new.
I have the brightness at about the 1/3 level, and I keep wi-fi off because there's none available where I work, and I don't want it searching for it.
Maybe the next iOS will have power management improvements?

Ken

Most reactions