What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2/3 size

oatesy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the iPad 2 the same size as the 3. I'm looking at ordering the iPad 3 and was hoping I can keep my protective sleeve from my iPad 2.
Sorry if this post has already been mentioned, thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad3 is slightly thicker (0.81mm) than the iPad2, but the rest of the dimensions are the same. This means that most cases for the iPad2 will fit the 3 unless they are designed to be a VERY tight fit around the 2. I have 3 different iPad2 cases and all fit well on the iPad3.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
oatesy said:
Is the iPad 2 the same size as the 3. I'm looking at ordering the iPad 3 and was hoping I can keep my protective sleeve from my iPad 2.
Sorry if this post has already been mentioned, thanks

I found out the hard way that some Smart Covers that were designed for the iPad2 do not work with the new iPad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found out the hard way that some Smart Covers that were designed for the iPad2 do not work with the new iPad.

The consensus on this is that it is pure luck whether old smart covers work or not. It depends on the polarity of the magnet that was inserted into the case when it was manufactured. New covers have a consistent polarity which matches the iPad3. Old covers may or may not. It's a 50/50 chance. My old Smart Cover for the iPad2 works fine on my 3. Other folks cases dont. It's a very weird situation.

If you are feeling brave (and can't use the case for anything else), you can pry open the case, flip the magnet, and glue it back together again. Then it should work.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
The consensus on this is that it is pure luck whether old smart covers work or not. It depends on the polarity of the magnet that was inserted into the case when it was manufactured. New covers have a consistent polarity which matches the iPad3. Old covers may or may not. It's a 50/50 chance. My old Smart Cover for the iPad2 works fine on my 3. Other folks cases dont. It's a very weird situation.

If you are feeling brave (and can't use the case for anything else), you can pry open the case, flip the magnet, and glue it back together again. Then it should work.

I'll pass on that suggestion f4780y! I have an iPad2 Apple Smart Cover black, it did not work with the new iPad. I went online to Amazon and found a third party vendor front and back cover, portfolio style that I really liked on my new iPad but the magnets didnt work on my new iPad. I am not adverse to pressing the sleep button or the home button to turn on and off my new iPad. I'll wait a little bit and wait for the vendors to come up with a smart cover made specifically for the new iPad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll pass on that suggestion f4780y! I have an iPad2 Apple Smart Cover black, it did not work with the new iPad. I went online to Amazon and found a third party vendor front and back cover, portfolio style that I really liked on my new iPad but the magnets didnt work on my new iPad. I am not adverse to pressing the sleep button or the home button to turn on and off my new iPad. I'll wait a little bit and wait for the vendors to come up with a smart cover made specifically for the new iPad.

Cool. All the latest Apple ones are fine BTW. I guess they adjusted their manufacturing process a while ago once the made the decision on the iPad3.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One of my iPad 2 cases fits my iPad 3, but the autolock smart cover feature does not work. Also, the tight-fitting snap on cases do not fit.

Beware about reusing cases for iPad 2 on iPad 3. Not all of them will work. My Smart Cover doesn work on my new iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts