What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best way to upgrade a jailbroken iPad is ti first put it into DFU mode. Then, do the upgrade after iTunes recognizes it as an iPad needing to be restored. It doesn't work well if you try to do the restore straight out - as you've discovered.

Try that and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

litigator_ph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
The best way to upgrade a jailbroken iPad is ti first put it into DFU mode. Then, do the upgrade after iTunes recognizes it as an iPad needing to be restored. It doesn't work well if you try to do the restore straight out - as you've discovered.

Try that and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

Same problem here.. What is dfu mode?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

litigator_ph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Im using IPAD 1 version 4.2.1 i believe, acquired a month before IPAD 2 was launched in the market. At first, I'm satisfied with the performance but these days becoming slower and slower.. My question is, is my IPAD eligible for upgrading.. to IOS5??? and how?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect to your computer that you use to sync your iTunes account. After it connects to iTunes, you can tell it to look for updates.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
litigator_ph said:
Thanks for the reply. Im using IPAD 1 version 4.2.1 i believe, acquired a month before IPAD 2 was launched in the market. At first, I'm satisfied with the performance but these days becoming slower and slower.. My question is, is my IPAD eligible for upgrading.. to IOS5??? and how?

Everyone is eligible for upgrading. First thing to do is a sync as per normal. Now, check that you have the latest version of iTunes. Then connect again and iTunes should tell you that new software is available for your iPad at which point just follow the onscreen instructions. If you have any issues at all then check out this post from Richsadams http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49421-ipad-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

The Archangel

litigator_ph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Everyone is eligible for upgrading. First thing to do is a sync as per normal. Now, check that you have the latest version of iTunes. Then connect again and iTunes should tell you that new software is available for your iPad at which point just follow the onscreen instructions. If you have any issues at all then check out this post from Richsadams http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49421-ipad-ios-5-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

The Archangel

Little bit funny but ha ha ha.. Please.. How to sync my ipad? My first apple gadget, two days old here.. Though my ipad is several month old in my possession, im using it for email and browsing especially if im on business trips. I already purchased itunes when i bought this ipad but seems that i can not use it.. Now, i want to upgrade but how.. Thanks...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
litigator_ph said:
Little bit funny but ha ha ha.. Please.. How to sync my ipad? My first apple gadget, two days old here.. Though my ipad is several month old in my possession, im using it for email and browsing especially if im on business trips. I already purchased itunes when i bought this ipad but seems that i can not use it.. Now, i want to upgrade but how.. Thanks...

If you connect your iPad to your Mac/PC it will appear in the left hand pane of the iTunes window, click on the name and the resulting main window should provide you with the option to sync, just follow the onscreen instructions. If its the latest version of iTunes it will also offer you the option to upgrade your version of iOS however, IMHO you should do a full sync before going back and upgrading, this way you will be sure to get all the stuff on your iPad synced into the main iTunes should anything go wrong with the upgrade process.

The Archangel

Most reactions