What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 slow to open apps and respond to taps

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of late my iPad 1 has become very slow to open apps and is not quickly responsive to taps , sometimes requiring 2 or 3 taps to action. Memory is no where near full. Advice would be welcome.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi osborneuk,
Just a thought, how many apps do you have running in the background? How long has it been since you restarted your iPad from being fully turned off?
Is your iPad jailbroken? If so, do you have a different picture for each page of app icons? I had seven different background pictures. It was pretty, but very sluggish.
To fully shutdown your iPad, press and hold the top power button until you see the slider appear at the top of the screen. It should say slide to power off. Slide the slider. Wait for the iPad to shut down. When the screen is black with no light at all, press and hold the power button for about two seconds. The apple logo should appear. Let go of the power button and wait for the iPad to reboot.
A different way to reboot the iPad would be to press and hold both the top power button and the front Home button. Keep holding even when the power down slider appears. It'll go away again. Keep holding until the screen goes black and the apple logo appears then let go of the buttons.
I guess you already know how to shut off the apps running in the background.
Let me know if you stop having the laggy problem.
Fid

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
osborneuk said:
Did restart as suggested BEFORE I posted.

ok wow, maybe you should have put that in your original post, no need to get snotty about it huh?

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're running on iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 then it may be the case, I've seen reports and complaints of users on iPad 1 having a breakdown due to the slowness of the iPad itself when on 5.1.1

If it's not, I'll check again later. :p

lennethf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
osborneuk said:
Of late my iPad 1 has become very slow to open apps and is not quickly responsive to taps , sometimes requiring 2 or 3 taps to action. Memory is no where near full. Advice would be welcome.

Hi maybe you can help me how to get abc player apps? Nothing in my apps store dont know why?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lennethf said:
Hi maybe you can help me how to get abc player apps? Nothing in my apps store dont know why?

Are you located in the United States? There is a regional restriction that only allows users located in the US to access and use this app.

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AllenSalar said:
If you're running on iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1 then it may be the case, I've seen reports and complaints of users on iPad 1 having a breakdown due to the slowness of the iPad itself when on 5.1.1

If it's not, I'll check again later. :p

Yup! 5.1.1 it is. Does this mean I'm stuck with this problem until the next upgrade? Would a factory reset then upgrade help?

Cheers

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
osborneuk said:
Yup! 5.1.1 it is. Does this mean I'm stuck with this problem until the next upgrade? Would a factory reset then upgrade help?

Cheers

I'm afraid that there will be no more upgrades for the iPad 1. iOS 5.1.1 is as far as it gets.While there will be bug fixes and tweaks from time to time, there will be no major upgrades,such as the one from iOS 5.1.1 to 6.0.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am glad to hear this. I have been thinking of upgrading to 5.1.1 to possible fix a GarageBand issue. I'd have to de-jailbreak and then upgrade.
There are times where iOS 5.0.1 takes a bit to respond to touch signals. Apparently it is not as bad as the iOS 5.1.1.
I have noticed that some of the time I am getting touch lag is when I am getting a pop-up on the screen saying I have new mail, or whatever. This is caused in my case because I have wifi at my house, but connect to my ISP via a dialup connection. When the iPad is having trouble talking with the email server it seems to glitch.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Cheers

Well, you can always go downgrading to iOS 5.0.1 or iOS 5.1, they're atleast a couple more satisfactory for performance. There are guides here in the forum.

Most reactions

Latest posts