What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 1 - iOS 5 - Safari Crashing

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a number of threads about some apps becoming unstable (including Safari) after upgrading to iOS 5. My advice would be to go ahead and upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 today and see if things improve. If not, try some of these tips that have resolved it for others...

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I have tried the first two fixes but not a total reset yet. I will give that a try.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I have tried everything that has been suggested and Safari still crashes regularly.

I had lost a few posts while accessing this forum from Safari. Time to use TapaTalk perhaps?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I have tried everything that has been suggested and Safari still crashes regularly.

I had lost a few posts while accessing this forum from Safari. Time to use TapaTalk perhaps?
Sorry to hear that. Did you try restoring your iPad to factory specs? That's about the last thing you can do to get back to square one. Kind of a pain to set up email and other things again, but it certainly cleans things up.

Is there any reason you aren't using the iPadForums App? It's certainly easier than using Safari on the iPad.

App Store - Discussion Forum for iPad Users

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As you can see from the signature, I have started using TapaTalk, in this case from my shiny new Android phone but also from my iPad.

I am reluctant to reset the iPad, I rather use one of the forum Apps I think.

By the way, Android has a nifty cursor handle that lets you drag the cursor anywhere you want.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you can see from the signature, I have started using TapaTalk, in this case from my shiny new Android phone but also from my iPad.

I am reluctant to reset the iPad, I rather use one of the forum Apps I think.

By the way, Android has a nifty cursor handle that lets you drag the cursor anywhere you want.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Do you mean that you're reluctant to "reset" or "restore" your iPad. They are two very different things. If you haven't tried resetting your iPad, you should certainly try that. That's fixed almost all Safari and other app problems. You have nothing to lose or worry about. All data, apps, etc. remain intact.

Restoring involves wiping the iPad clean; returning it to factory condition. You can restore everything from a backup (made before bringing it back to factory specs) or start fresh by downloading apps again, etc. (always free).

If you haven't reset your iPad though...you should certainly give that a try.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake switch on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

Thrplms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never had a crash until 5.0. Upgraded to 5.0.1, restored iPad to original settings, and it is still crashing, 10 or more times a day. In many cases it seems to freeze for 5-10 seconds, then crash to home screen.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never had a crash until 5.0. Upgraded to 5.0.1, restored iPad to original settings, and it is still crashing, 10 or more times a day. In many cases it seems to freeze for 5-10 seconds, then crash to home screen.
Welcome to the forum...sorry it's under such frustrating circumstances. Can you give us a few more details? When you say "crashing", what exactly do you mean? It sounds like an app or apps are closing and returning you to the home screen? Which apps? All of them or certain ones?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "restored iPad to original settings".

In the meantime, here are the "go to" tips that will generally bring a misbehaving iPad back to normal. Try each one in succession and see if it doesn't resolve your issues.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Sleep/wake switch on the top edge of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake switch until the Apple logo appears.

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Upgrade Apps: Check the App Store on your iPad to ensure all apps are up to date after an upgrade. Developers often release updates that are required to allow them to run on the latest iOS version.

Reinstall Apps: While the app is closed press and hold its icon until all of the icons on your screen begin to jiggle. A black circle with an “X” will appear in the upper left-hand corner. Tap on the “X” and confirm that you want to delete the app. Reset the iPad (using the instructions above).

Open the App Store App and tap on "Purchased" in the bottom toolbar. Locate the app you just deleted. Tap on the download button (cloud) and the app will be reinstalled. (Downloading any app already purchased again is free).

Apps that require logins, etc. will need to be set up again. More here:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

Hope that helps, welcome again and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

unzoosin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine too but in my case more or less like 3-4x daily upon upgrading to 5.0.1, i can see a lot of us have experienced so much trouble since the update.. :/

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine too but in my case more or less like 3-4x daily upon upgrading to 5.0.1, i can see a lot of us have experienced so much trouble since the update.. :/

Sent from my iPad using iPF
What have you done if anything to resolve it? There are millions of upgraded iPads working perfectly, mine included, but things can certainly go south during an upgrade with any computer. The good news with the iPad is that generally they can almost always be resolved, but they usually won't fix themselves.

Most reactions

Latest posts