What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 help needed ~ going to Australia & New Zealand

Matierney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Taking a borrowed iPad 1 to Australia and New Zealand next month so that we can keep in touch with family via email. I had an Apple tech help me set up my email account today. He says I need a GSM sim card to go online. Other times free wireless should be available at different spots on our month long trip which includes a cruise. How do I go about this?

I am going to my internet provider, Comcast, to set up wireless access at home.

As for personal info, I am a recently retired public relations writer and editor. Married with 7 grandkids! Pretty much a Luddite altho I have worked with Macs for 15 years.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that AT&T is needed in Europe ~ but I really do not know. I will move this to our international section. Might get better assistance!

7 grandchildren? You are blessed!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

You'll need a local sim card for this, we have many helpful antipodean members and I'm sure one will be along soon with suggestions for the best service provider to use during your stay.......oh, and Marie, Australia and New Zealand aren't in Europe......but I'm sure that you knew that.......

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html & hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. A link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The Archangel

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

You'll need a local sim card for this, we have many helpful antipodean members and I'm sure one will be along soon with suggestions for the best service provider to use during your stay.......oh, and Marie, Australia and New Zealand aren't in Europe......but I'm sure that you knew that.......

Yes, of course! You know what I meant, brat.:p

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to recall that Colin suggests Telstra for Australia - they have a good PAYG plan.

Tim

nessva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm in Australia. Tesltra do have the most comprehensive coverage, including more outback than anyone else, however they are also 'accepted' as being the most expensive.
Nearly every McDonalds store has free wifi here, though it's not fast, it would certainly be more than fine for checking in with family/friends.
Most cafes have free wifi with a drink, you usually have to ask for a password or similar.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in Brisbane Australia, and Telstra in my opinion is the best and most dependable of all of the providers with the best coverage. You can purchase a sim card on line if you wish, I don't know if you have time to do this now before your trip, but you can also just visit a Telstra Store when you get here. They have stores at all our major shopping centers and more. There is a start up pack for $30.00 which includes 3G of data and lasts for a month which sounds like more than enough for what you need. There will be forms to fill out I'm afraid for security measures, it's not too involved but you will need identification. (Damn terrorists). It will have to be activated too and this can be done instore, they'll even put the sim in for you if you're not sure. Good luck and have a wonderful time here, which I'm sure you will, I've been to New Zealand a couple of times, it's a truly beautiful country too. Need any info?

Most reactions

Latest posts