What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 Tips and Tricks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - so we're all starting to explore iOS5 and discover all those great new features! Have you discovered any tips and tricks to pass on to other Members? Why not post them here? Tips and Tricks only, please! If you are having problems then there are other threads in this section.

So, let's share our experiences to help each other!

Tim

indeana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed this under settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Add New Shortcut

You can create a shortcut for phrases that you frequently use while typing/texting. For example, if you frequently type "Have a nice day" you can set up a shortcut (HAND) and when you type HAND it will become Have a nice day in your document/text message!

Have a nice day!

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you press and hold the "Hide Keyboard" key in the lower right of the keyboard, it will bring up some options for Undocked and Split. I found this by accident noticing the little bumps on the key.

indeana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't take credit for this because I read it on someone else's post and then I lost that post ... but if you want to split the keyboard without pressing and holding the close keyboard key you can swipe the keyboard open (kinda like a pinch/zoom movement). From what I can see, the advantage in this method is that keyboard seems to split where you have it instead of splitting directly into the middle of the screen. I wish though, we could resize and move after the split.

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a tip, but a suggestion. Since IOS5 doesn't work the same on iPad 2 and the original (which I have), I think it would be nice if people with tips indicated which iPad they are using. This should prove to be another great thread. Thanks for considering the suggestion.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
If you get notifications on your lock screen, you can hold the app icon for the notification and it will turn into a slide to view slider. Allows you to g direct to the app instead of using the usual slide to unlock and searching for the app.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Staying with the keyboard theme... If you press and hold the keyboard key and undock it, you can then hold that same key to slide the keyboard up and down the screen.

Also, for those that don't know...
To get accented letters, such as é, ö, ä or æ, hold the letter down for a couple of seconds on the keyboard and a little selection of different accented letters pops up.

By going to General>Keyboard>Intermational keyboard, it is possible to select different language keyboards, including, if you have the apps installed, emoticon keyboards {I use Emoji, I'm sure there are many others}. You don't change the keyboard language, you add them, so when you have your keyboard displayed, there is a small globe icon on it and that is how you switch between languages in normal use.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know of there is an easier way to do this but...

You know if you want to move icons and you're not plugged into iTunes you can't move them to a different home screen, just to a new position on the current screen?

Well if you dock an icon, onto the bar at the bottom of the screen, you can then scroll to the next screen, or screen of your choice, and undock it. You can have up to six icons in the dock, so I keep a space free on mine for the moving process, just in case I get the urge!

OP
Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, it is possible to move items to a new Home screen, though if you want to move them by several screens your method is quicker. If you just want to move them to the next screen, then press and hold until they jiggle then drag the icon to the edge of the screen and hold it there for a second and it will suddenly move to the next screen.

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another Split Keyboard Tip - You can move the split keyboard up and down the screen by holding the tiny "tripple bar" control in the bottom right of the keyboard with your thumb and dragging the keyboard.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emoji Keyboard is now free for everyone on IOS5.

Simply go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard, and select emoji from the list.

Now you will be able to press the little "globe" key on the keyboard and include pics in your iMessages, emails, etc.

Make sure all your friends with iPads and iPhones on IOS5 enable it too, for tons of emoji fun!

Attachments

• image-1218149393.png
    image-1218149393.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 979

niitramdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Emoji Keyboard is now free for everyone on IOS5.

Simply go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard, and select emoji from the list.

Now you will be able to press the little "globe" key on the keyboard and include pics in your iMessages, emails, etc.

Make sure all your friends with iPads and iPhones on IOS5 enable it too, for tons of emoji fun!

This is so cool! Thanks...

Uh, can you change it back if you want?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is so cool! Thanks...

Uh, can you change it back if you want?

Not sure why you would remove it, but you can if you like :) Just go back in to those options and remove the keyboard...

Remember you toggle between normal and emoji keyboards with the little globe key...

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For iMessage I use the Apple ID registered for iCloud.
On the iPhone , there is the same ID and the phone number.
If you want to see your messages on both devices be sure to use the email address (Apple ID) on your phone .

Most reactions