What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 = my iPad 1 is now useless

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated and jailbroke and I can't use my iPad anymore.

First, springboard keeps closing and going in safe mode no matter what I do. "MobileSubstrate /did not/ cause this problem" is the error I get. Rebooting does not fix this.

Second, iBooks doesn't open. I click it, it pops up then just instant-closes. It's updated to latest version.

Help!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The jailbreak for IOS5 is experimental at best at the moment. All the jailbreak app and tweak developers are working hard to provide support for the new major version of IOS. You can't simply expect everything which works on 4.x to work on 5.x. Jailbreak tweaks hook right into the operating system and many things are likely to change when Apple release a new major version.

Users who are not experienced with jailbreaking and who don't enjoy a real challenge are advised to stay away from IOS5 Jailbreaking until such time as apps get updated. We are trying to keep track of compatibility for iPad in here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

You would probably be best to restore to 4.3.3 if you have saved SHSH Blobs. We have a guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you install anything from Cydia before it started crashing into safe mode? It happened to be when I installed a package that was not compatible with iOS5. Simply try uninstalling the last thing you installed from Cydia and see if that helps.

OP
M

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't install anything. I could go back to 4.3.3 as I have my SHSH's but I wont bother. The only thing I used from jailbreak was backgrounder so I could listen to shoutcast streams in the background anyway, and I still have my iPhone that's jailbroken :)

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't install anything. I could go back to 4.3.3 as I have my SHSH's but I wont bother. The only thing I used from jailbreak was backgrounder so I could listen to shoutcast streams in the background anyway, and I still have my iPhone that's jailbroken :)

if you installed backgrounder on iOS 5, it is not supported yet.

Most reactions