What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS14

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

Well I see that in iOS 14 there is now a library.
Actually I miss the point as one can have a bunch of folders on the Home page, seems to be much the same to me.
What gives here?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The app library is automatic. It auto organizes the apps into categories; which are mostly correct. Along with this is the ability to hide home screens you don’t want to see, and add widgets to your home screens. They work together to allow you to make a cleaner setup for your most important apps and and info, while still having a way of finding the remaining apps; in a way that is ‘hopefully’ less painful than searching through multiple home screens and folders to find that one app you almost never use.

Also, the library screen is headed with a search box to make it easier to find those apps that you at least remember the name of. You could do this before with the normal search, but it includes a lot of other stuff like websites, documents, apps you might want from the App Store, etc. The app library only searches for apps you have on your phone.

You can, of course, ignore the new features and continue using your iPhone as before. If you only have a few app, that might even be the best way to do it. If you are like me and tend to accumulate apps for obscure reasons and whimsical days, the App Library is good.

I’ve already re-organized. I’ll probably do some more tweaking, but I’m happy with the results so far.

For those of you confused, the App Library only exists on the iPhone. I expect iPads to get the App Library eventually, but for now we got nothing much new in the way of organizing our apps.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T poet.
I'm the opposite to you.
I have the least number of apps possible!
They easily fit on the home screen in a few folders.
I like the translator, seems to work a treat.
So next I guess will look at the experts "best 20" lists.
At present, Mail seems to have picked up a couple of issues. I guess they will be swept up in the next few update corrections.
I seem to be getting faster downloads, maybe just imagination, time will tell.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tend to try things out, and rarely delete them. I also keep a lot of things, just in case I might need them later. Yes, I’m a packrat in my non-digital life as well; a boarder line hoarder by some standards, I suppose.

I went through all my apps (nearly 200) while cleaning up, and deleted maybe 20-ish. The iPad Pro is worse. The iPad Mini, because it’s newer, and has fewer uses (for me) is almost spartan. A mere 63 apps. :)

That said, I’m very picky about what goes in my dock and on my first two home screens; both before, and more so now. The remaining screens were mostly apps collected into categorized folders. The App Library does that for me now.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi T Poet.
I see now there is a fast scroll method using the home page dots at the bottom.
Alas the move arrived just as I am now down to less than one page!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi T Poet.
I see now there is a fast scroll method using the home page dots at the bottom.
Alas the move arrived just as I am now down to less than one page!

I hadn’t noticed that. I don’t expect I’ll remember to use it, with only two pages myself.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is it on the iPad? I don’t see it.

If you have multiple home screens, there are dots at the bottom of the screen. If you swipe on those dots you will move through screens without any animation. It is very quick, and a bit finicky. However, you can use this to to zip to the first and last screen very quickly.

ADE4A33E-E981-40A3-8BEA-F32D128FCD37.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Addendum:

Once you touch the dots, you can slide your finger up or down before scrolling left/right. This way you can see each dot highlight as you scroll, making it a bit easier to control.

Not needed on the iPhone, since you get haptic feedback when the screen changes.

Most reactions

Latest posts