What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS keyboard shortcuts

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts they all start with a lower case letter i.e. iS, gT, pV & iT etc., so I hoped not to confuse when writing as no words start with a lower case letter followed by an upper case one.

The iOS shortcut facility does not seem to be case sensitive so when I write "is" it inserts the shortcut for "iS".

Anyone out there know a solution for this? or am I missing a setting in the iOS 6

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way that I can think of to make it case sensitive, but I have another idea for you. Try preceding your shortcuts with a coma.

You are already tapping three keys to get the capital, so it won't add any extra strokes, and since a coma is always followed by a space it shouldn't cause any accidentally shortcuts, or at least very few. I chose the comma because it's on the main keyboard, quick to use, and unlike the period (.doc, .xlm, .txt) I could not think of a single instance where I would start a word with it

I tested this by using ,gm to stand for my Gmail address, and it worked fine.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use several very long keyboard shortcuts.

I use a word that reminds me of the full shortcut prefaced by a consonant which ensures that I never type a shortcut when I want to type a single word.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of my shortcuts are for symbols, the ones three layers deep or non-existant on the keyboard. It defeats the purpose if I end up typing more to enter the symbol than to dig through the keyboard's layers.

But it does put a bigger strain on the memory. That's why I only add shortcuts for the ones I use often. I've only got about a dozen.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an aside: how long can a shortcut be? Can I eg type "batt" to stand in for say a whole fairly large para about batteries?
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Hi Twerppoet

Thanks for the very useful comma suggestion.

I've altered all my shortcuts (about 50) and it seems to work fine, the main problem I had was with 'iS' shortcut when I typed the word 'is' I had to alter it each time, also iT and some other two letter words.

I use two letters to remember the shortcuts........ the "sign off" below is ',ne' which in my mind is short for 'normal ending' and so on.

Another slight problem I find is that the shortcut facility puts a space after the shortcut by default, so when you use it to enter an email address it throws up an error that says you have entered an error in the email field........... can't see any solution to this though, apart from remembering to hit the delete key.

Nos Vemos .................. Gerry N .........Sent from my iPad

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an aside: how long can a shortcut be? Can I eg type "batt" to stand in for say a whole fairly large para about batteries?
Regards, Andrew
EDIT: Oh, or did you already answer that Kevin in the above post?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regards, Andrew

It can be as long as you wish. Just to test it, when we first got the ability, I typed in the entire opening section of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and used the shortcut "Lin." Worked like a charm. Just remember - while you type in who paragraphs and what-not, the shortcut does not do carriage returns. So, everything will be in one line... Still, manually putting in line returns is easier than typing out a long paragraph (or two ... or three ... or...). :)

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and thanks for that tip for using commas, twerppoet. Made my life easier as I have two shortcuts that could be words - and I always forgot to cancel the auto-correction. Made more trouble than it was worth but now that's a thing of the past. Kewl!

Marilyn

Who is reminded once again why visiting this forum is so cool - it's the little tips and tricks from people nice enough to share them!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Message for The OB

Hi
I don't seem to be able to find this forum on Tapatalk, any pointers on how to find it?

I'm not The OB - but maybe I can help (I use Tapatalk, also). In the Search part of Tapatalk, enter the phrase "iPadForums." That will bring it up so you can log in and use it.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way to delete a shortcut?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OB said:
Regards, Andrew

Seems to be unlimited. Some of mine are very long with control characters and all.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Twerppoet

Thanks for the very useful comma suggestion.

No problem. I should thank you. It never occurred to me until I tried to think of a solution to your problem. Now I'm using it too.

Another slight problem I find is that the shortcut facility puts a space after the shortcut by default, so when you use it to enter an email address it throws up an error that says you have entered an error in the email field........... can't see any solution to this though, apart from remembering to hit the delete key.

Nos Vemos .................. Gerry N .........Sent from my iPad

The email field in the Mail app? The auto-complete options have always worked well for me. For emails that I send often I just make sure I have a reasonably unique entry in the Contacts app. Start typing that contact name and the email pops right up. I do this for my Evernote email address; it is used to send email and attachments to Evernote. By the time I've typed eve, the address is listed. Fortunately I don't have any contacts named Eve.

Most reactions

Latest posts