What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS CRASH! HELP!!!

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crap. I've got an iPad 3 Verizon 64gb. Everything was fine until yesterday like a Dummy, thought I'd do the new iOS8 update. It went through the motions of verifying update & then asked if ready to Download. I clicked & the Apple Symbol came up & that's all I've got for almost 24 hours! I try turning it off by holding the Home button & the power button & when it comes back on, nothing but the Apple Symbol..... HELP! What can I do now??

Thanks in advance!

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

Before I try that, one more thing, a "Battery" symbol had come up on my iPad screen at one time (while it was still plugged up to the charger for hours) showing a "blank" battery with just a couple of thin RED lines at one end of the battery symbol. Does this still require me to to a Recover & reset to factory settings?

Thanks again....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

Before I try that, one more thing, a "Battery" symbol had come up on my iPad screen at one time (while it was still plugged up to the charger for hours) showing a "blank" battery with just a couple of thin RED lines at one end of the battery symbol. Does this still require me to to a Recover & reset to factory settings?

Thanks again....
That battery symbol normally means that the battery is completely discharged and the iPad needs to charge for a while before it can be used. It should disappear after the battery has been charged enough to use the iPad unless there's some kind of fault in the iPad or the charger.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had trouble with the batt before, would only charge it when it got down to about 10% then charge to 100% & this time it was plugged in since yesterday when it locked up. I've connected it to our net book and am doing the Recovery now. Hope this works. If it doesn't, does that mean the internal battery is shot? Then what, go to the nearest Apple stroke hours away for a battery replacement? What's that cost?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that your netbook probably does not supply enough current to keep the iPad running (active), let alone charge it.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, it finished & still that ominous Apple symbol.... I'll give it a try on our PC.
Thanks...

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:eek:Yesterday, I tried the "recovery" with iPad connected to PC, this morning same old thing, either the Apple symbol or the depleted battery symbol.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've deleted the post you made in another thread about this same problem. Besides making any resulting conversation hard to follow, duplicate posting is against our rules.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is still dead. I updated the iTunes on the PC then held the Home button down as I connected the iPad to the USB cable... & nothing. iTunes would not recogize or even aknowledge it at all.:confused: This really sucks when it was a perfectly fine WORKING iPad UNTIL I went for the iOS8 Update. It seems like a lot of other people are having the exact same issue & with the closest Apple store being hours away from here... I'm at a dead end. :(

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything else I can try? Anybody? It is still just a paper-weight. :(

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, J.A.

I'll try my wife's (iPad2) charging cable & see if that does anything different & also look over this thread.

(Fingers crossed....)

Thanks again!

*Edit*

I just thought of something... When I first attempted to download & install iOS8, I connected the iPad to an Apple Charger & I believe the battery was getting pretty low (10%) then & I thought that since it was connected to the charger that I would just go ahead & update the Software. Let's just say IF the charger cable became stressed or damaged at that point & the software started to download meanwhile the battery is getting lower & lower because of a possibly defective charger cord... Would the iPad just shut itself down when the battery got dangerously low to preserve itself & be able to be charged up later on a good charger cord? Or would the battery just deplete itself down to a totally dead battery & the only way to resurrect it then would be to have a new battery installed to replace it? I usually check for the "charging symbol" on the iPad but I believe this time that I just plugged it up, went to Settings & began the "update"... :(

Last edited:
OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I bit the bullet & drove my iPad an hour away to drop it off at the nearest "official" UPS Store on Sat. & got an e-mail this morning saying that a "replacement iPad3" is on the way. Hopefully, it's not a big deal to have my Verizon contract setup for this new Serial # iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts