What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 to Launch September 19

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iOS_61.JPG

Aside from all the iPhone 5 excitement today, Apple also officially announced iOS 6 of course, which will be available to download in one week’s time, Wednesday, September 19, which is just two days before the iPhone 5 goes on sale. It will be available for the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, the new iPad, iPad 2, and iPod touch, but sadly not the first-generation iPad. Apple says that iOS 6 comes with more than 200 new user features including the all-new, Apple-designed Maps app, complete with turn-by-turn navigation and the new Flyover view; Facebook integration for Contacts and Calendar, including the ability to post straight from Notification Center; Passbook; new Siri features, including more language support, easy access to sports scores, restaurant recommendations, film listings; Apps such as Photos, Safari and Maps will all also be Siri and Facebook enabled; and finally, iOS 6 will also add Shared Photo Streams via iCloud.

Source: Apple to launch iOS 6 on Wednesday, Sept. 19
Apple

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 6 and the new iTunes. That is major. I really hope iTunes is improved. I'm tired of hating it?

erniepru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If downloading iOS 6 will my all my apps that I have on my iPAD now remain or will I have to get them all over again?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
erniepru said:
If downloading iOS 6 will my all my apps that I have on my iPAD now remain or will I have to get them all over again?

Your apps will survive the update. You may find updates for your apps too as they may be optimized for iOS6.

Same advice as always, though. Do a backup before you do anything else, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

pyewacket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know...for sure...if Siri will be on ipad2....several posts said that it would not be..but from the Apple statements yesterday it appears it will be.. ??

Also, with apples own maps, will google maps still be on ipad2..or will Apple have a way to overwrite it..??

And finally...how does one back up the ipad, as stated above....^^^^^??

Thanks...Leon

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pyewacket said:
Does anyone know...for sure...if Siri will be on ipad2....several posts said that it would not be..but from the Apple statements yesterday it appears it will be.. ??

Also, with apples own maps, will google maps still be on ipad2..or will Apple have a way to overwrite it..??

And finally...how does one back up the ipad, as stated above....^^^^^??

Thanks...Leon

Siri will not be on the ipad2.

The new version of maps will replace Google Maps. I read somewhere that the new version of maps will be TomTom powered.

Can't remember exactly where backup is in iTunes, because I rarely see my computer. Someone else will chime in with that bit, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions